General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri training + Soccer - Good idea or not Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-26 9:49 PM

Elk River
Subject: Tri training + Soccer - Good idea or not

I have been playing indoor soccer for over 10 years. This year starting in Janurary I started training for triathlons and completed 5 this year. I plan to continue my training and building myself up to a HIM next year.

I just played my first soccer game since Spring. And many do I hurt. The constant turning, sprinting, stopping, was harder then I remember. I think I have totally conditioned my legs and body for distance not for short jolts.

So my question is, am I going to do more harm to my legs or is this a good cross training opportunity?

What is amazing is that I can run 4-5 miles no problem but barely last 3 min. on the soccer field.

Is playing soccer while training for a HIM a good thing or bad? Is there anything I should watch out for?

Thanks

2011-09-26 10:02 PM
in reply to: #3701479

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Tri training + Soccer - Good idea or not

It can really only help IMO...  I am also doing indoor soccer this winter.  As long as you avoid overtraining and realize your limits you should be fine.

Marcus

2011-09-26 10:13 PM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
I think that you have a much greater chance of getting injured playing soccer than triathlon training.  Two of my sons play in mens' soccer leagues and they are both always hurting someplace.  I guess as long as you have enough time to heal up before your race you should be OK.  Soccer is certainly good exercise, just be careful.  My sons are too competitive to take it easy.
2011-09-27 12:46 AM

User image

Master
Just finished up a futsal season. For me, the most danger I'm in is from bad plays from opponents (and walking from my car to the court). I won't go into challenges balls to the wall and risk months of training. If you're pretty coordinated for a fast paced game like this and avoid risky 1v1's, you should be fine.

Edited by Blanda 2011-09-27 12:49 AM
2011-09-27 5:07 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I played soccer before doing tris....women spring/fall 11 vs. 11 league and indoor leagues.

Once I started doing tris, I did both for couple years. I ended up getting banged up so much from soccer that it effected my tri training. I finally opted to drop soccer. In the 40+ women teams probably 1/3 of the players have had ACL injuries and wear braces while playing.

In tris we move forward and in linear fashion. Soccer you move in all directions and as you say the pace is uneven with go hard short. Soccer running is just different than tri running.

Do you like playing soccer? If so go for it. We do this for fun so pick what brings you joy.

2011-09-27 7:08 AM

User image

Cincinnati, OH

Just my own experience here, but I too played soccer for many years before taking up tris.  Played through high school, a little in college with some "fun leagues," etc.  I was never very good (at either soccer or tris, but that's a different story.....). 

It wasn't until I twisted my ankle playing indoor soccer in the middle of marathon training that I took a step back to analyze.  I decided that I enjoyed running and triathlon much more than soccer, so I opted not to take on the risk of injury.  I stopped playing organized "ball sports" for good.  I also used to downhill ski pretty frequently, and that has stopped as well. 

It's a personal decision, but for me, the risk is not worth the reward.  As others have said, this is supposed to be fun. Pick what makes you happy.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri training + Soccer - Good idea or not Rss Feed