General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM running aid stations question (help) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-29 10:28 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: HIM running aid stations question (help)

After Augusta I ran (that's right, I've got puns) into a problem on the half marathon. As I would pass the aid stations, I couldn't get everything I needed without reducing myself to a walk.

Albeit it was pretty hot so I needed a plethora of things (ice, water-sometimes 2, coke, sponge, kitchen sink) but when I tried running through I was getting maybe a cup of ice and a cup of coke (spilling most of that on myself)

I ended up walking the aid stations, which wasn't the end of the world, but my next 1/2 I certainly don't want to be chilling for 15-30 seconds every mile.

So what are your solutions? Or am I just doing it wrong

2011-09-29 11:14 AM
in reply to: #3705026

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: HIM running aid stations question (help)
For some reason lots of people are against this, but you could carry a hand-held water bottle on the run. That way you'd have one less thing to grab at the aid stations.
2011-09-29 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Congrats at Augusta, BTW!

I am against walking any aid station unless I HAVE to (I have done so once). That being said, I do not walk because I find it 1000X harder to get restarted and into rhythum once I stopped. For me, I train on the bare-min, without water, etc., during my training runs, so that aid stations during races are like little treats. Thus, I only need a cup of water, perhaps coke, at each aid station. That helps dumb what I need down.

During the marathon at B2B, I had a hand-held gel flask for the first loop, so I only had to grab one water. However, for HIM's and below I only grab one cup of water.

(spilling most of that on myself)

Trick here is to grab the cup, pinch/crush the top of it together, so it creates a slit. Then, you drink from one corner of the slit. That helps from spilling it all over yourself (for the most part, but still it gets messy from time to time). Remember to toss down and away from you, to prevent getting your feet soaked. Another reason not to just dump water over your head (unless you have to).

Also, as you approach the aid station and they are calling out what they have, yell what you need. Normally, everything else but what you need drops, and water per say remains up. I point at who I am taking the water from, and will even say out of what hand (if they have two up) that I am taking. That puts both of us on the same page, and cleans up the handoff.
2011-09-29 12:57 PM

User image

colorado
I have to stop at every aid station to take in water and sports drink.. Wouldn't be able to complete the race without doing so.  However I am actually thinking about getting one of the camelbaks the trail runners use - I think Nathan is the actual brand most people use.  Very light and seem to be a good fit.  That may be an option. 
2011-09-29 6:01 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
What Coldfire said...x2 to all of it.
2011-09-29 8:58 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

I live off of the course and prefer to do so, so I also am often trying to grab a lot at the aid stations.  A lots depends on how crowded it is, but (knock on wood) I tend to be sort of alone or in fairly thin crowds on the run, so this has not been a huge issue except on some two-loop courses.

I also agree with what Coldfire said, except as I said I don't carry anything.

Like being fast at transitions, being fast at aid stations requires some practice and planning.  I will now reveal to you how little I care what my neighbors think of me.  I have practiced this many times by setting up a card table on the side of the road at my house and running by, grabbing as much as possible.  Do that enough and you will develop the techniques that work for you, and on race day when you can call out what you want and people hand it to you, it will seem oh so easy.

One thing that Coldfire didn't mention is this.  If you plan on taking gels from aid stations (I do), the best procedure, IMO, is to grab it and not eat it until just before you arrive at the NEXT aid station.  The reason is that you need liquid to wash it down, but there just isn't enough time to grab a gel, take it, and wash it down, before the end of the drop zone.  At least not if you are running.  So I'll grab a gel (or, if it is a flavor that I like, 2 or 3) from the first aid station I get to -- before I really need a gel (I just got off the bike where I was eating just fine thank you) and tuck them into my race belt or just hold them.  Then when I see an aid station approaching, take it, throw away the packet within the drop zone, grab a water and down it, then another water or sports drink and maybe some ice (I don't do Coke) and keep going.

2011-09-30 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3705945

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Experior - 2011-09-29 9:58 PM

One thing that Coldfire didn't mention is this.  If you plan on taking gels from aid stations (I do), the best procedure, IMO, is to grab it and not eat it until just before you arrive at the NEXT aid station.  The reason is that you need liquid to wash it down, but there just isn't enough time to grab a gel, take it, and wash it down, before the end of the drop zone.  At least not if you are running.  So I'll grab a gel (or, if it is a flavor that I like, 2 or 3) from the first aid station I get to -- before I really need a gel (I just got off the bike where I was eating just fine thank you) and tuck them into my race belt or just hold them.  Then when I see an aid station approaching, take it, throw away the packet within the drop zone, grab a water and down it, then another water or sports drink and maybe some ice (I don't do Coke) and keep going.

That is a GREAT pointer right there. I have never taken a gel from an aid station so I guess I have never thought about that, but that is 100% correct.

Great tip Experior! I will keep that in mind for IMFL.
2011-09-30 1:07 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Yeah great idea's guys. It's something I really should have been better prepared for, but, live and learn... Ignorance and Arrogance and all that
2011-09-30 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana

+1 to calling out what you need from aid station, inc "TWO waters!!" (or whatever).  Grab 1 for each hand.  And I have no trouble grabbing 2 cups off the table if I need to.  Drink 1, splash 1.   I douse my head early on warmer runs (even down to ~70F or so).  Much easier to prevent (or at least delay) overheating than to wait until it happens. Never minded wet feet if I splash a little since my feet are sweaty by that point anyway.

I generally live off the course for water but use a SpiBelt (number belt) with small pocket for my fav gels.  Never have liked running with a bottle in my hand-even on training runs (prefer FuelBelt for TRs).  I generally avoid drinking sports drink from aid stations 'cause it's often badly mis-mixed (too strong or weak----yuck!).  And agree 100% to eat your gel just before next aid station where you can then wash it down with water.

For HM or longer I don't mind walking some aid stations to get in a good drink if I need.  As many coaches point out (e.g. Galloway, McGee, BT's own Ricci, etc.), 2:30's marathons are run regular using a planned run:walk strategy & I'm a long way from that league Wink.   Walking a station might take me extra ~8-10sec vs grabbing cup on the run, but I think I more than make it up by running faster between stations (& avoiding dehydration or bonk).

FWIW- I usu. train using the fluid/fuel intakes I plan to race with-even if I know I can do that distance with less.  Never hurts to keep dialing in your best hydration/fueling plan.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM running aid stations question (help) Rss Feed