General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rocket Science Sports Rocket Bag vs TYR Convoy Transition Bag Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-01 12:21 AM

New user
Indio, CA
Subject: Rocket Science Sports Rocket Bag vs TYR Convoy Transition Bag

So I've been researching transition bags for several weeks now. I looked at some other people's posts regarding such and think I have it narrowed down to the Rocket Science Sports "Rocket" Bag and the TYR Convoy Transition Bag.

I'm interested in your opinions. If you have a bag that you think outdoes the others, then please share.

I like that the TYR bag appears to have more space and sets everything up into specific, easy to access compartments for swim, bike, run. However, I've read great reviews about the "Rocket".

I don't mind having a bigger bag.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

2011-10-01 3:03 AM
in reply to: #3707353

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-10-01 6:37 AM

Veteran
Subject: RE: Rocket Science Sports Rocket Bag vs TYR Convoy Transition Bag

I picked up one of these TYR transition bags from Trisports.....I think I got it on sale for 50,00 and really does the trick...has all the compartments that the Rocket Science bag but a fraction of the price.

Transition Bag Backpack

2011-10-01 9:22 AM
in reply to: #3707389

Veteran
jsmoon - 2011-10-01 6:37 AM

I picked up one of these TYR transition bags from Trisports.....I think I got it on sale for 50,00 and really does the trick...has all the compartments that the Rocket Science bag but a fraction of the price.

Transition Bag Backpack

Have this in aqua, LOVE IT!!!  Glad to see it comes in red.  I know what I'm getting next.

Edited by firegirlred 2011-10-01 9:23 AM
2011-10-01 9:29 AM

Champion
Fairport, NY
Can't compare it to the TYR because I haven't tried that one, but I'm really happy with my RSS transition bag. I've used it for for the past few years for races and at other times. It's held up incredibly well.
2011-10-01 9:40 AM

Veteran

A few years ago I bought a rocket science bag...the real joe.  I like it a lot.  Looks like the rocket bag is a lot of money....not sure it is worth it.  If the TYR bag is much chearper I would probably go with that.

The only thing I don't like about the rocket science bag is that I am a tall guy so I have bigger shoes/stuff that doesn't quite fit right.  Next time I buy a bag I will make sure there is a lot of extra room for my stuff.

2011-10-01 12:19 PM

Veteran
State College, PA

I bought the TYR Elite Transition Bag this spring(which I'm pretty sure is the same bag as the Convoy just a different name)

I love the bag. I'm a bit of an obsessive packer. I always bring way more than I need just to be safe and this bag has the space to store it all. Also with all the internal zippered pockets everything stays organized as well. I put labels on all the pockets so I know what goes in them, and so I don't forget anything, the bag is my race gear checklist.

The bag is also built with a great support system. Easy to throw it on my back fully loaded and ride to transition area race morning without worrying about straining my shoulders or back.

2011-10-01 12:35 PM
in reply to: #3707579

New user
Indio, CA
drdking - 2011-10-01 10:19 AM

I bought the TYR Elite Transition Bag this spring(which I'm pretty sure is the same bag as the Convoy just a different name)

I love the bag. I'm a bit of an obsessive packer. I always bring way more than I need just to be safe and this bag has the space to store it all. Also with all the internal zippered pockets everything stays organized as well. I put labels on all the pockets so I know what goes in them, and so I don't forget anything, the bag is my race gear checklist.

The bag is also built with a great support system. Easy to throw it on my back fully loaded and ride to transition area race morning without worrying about straining my shoulders or back.

I agree. I'm like you and tend to pack a little extra than is needed. It looks like it has more room than the rocket bag. I'd rather have a bag be too big than too small.  The last tri I did I killed my neck and back with the bag I was using (not specifically designed for tris) so I think I might go with this one.

Thanks for your 2 cents!

2013-01-24 5:28 AM

New user

Portsmouth
Hi everyone. I have been looking at purchasing one f the TYR bags too. Despite looking around for a while I'm still unsureWhat the difference between the Transition Elite Bag and the Convoy Transition bag is And whether it is possible to remove the mesh in the middle of the bag so as to load larger items such as books or a laptop. Thank you for your thoughts (:
2013-01-24 6:49 AM

Master
Charlotte

Just sign up for an Ironman!  For a mere $700, you get nice FREE transition backpack! 

In all seriousness, the Speedo Pro backpack you do get from doing Ironman is great.  It is humongous and well made (at least so far).  Tons of pockets, wet clothes area, straps, etc.

$44 at - http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/22246.htm

2013-01-24 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4592354

Expert
Charlotte, NC
bgraboski - 2013-01-24 7:49 AM

Just sign up for an Ironman!  For a mere $700, you get nice FREE transition backpack! 

You're being such a glass is half-empty kind of guy.  You're forgetting about the t-shirt and hat.

I'd like to recommend the TYR backpack, but I've been disappointed with mine.  A few of the zippers broke pretty quickly and it hasn't worn nearly as well as I'd hoped.  I'd like to think I'm not particularly hard on my equipment and I anticipated these would be pretty rugged given their purpose.  Just one person's experience.  I know lots of people have had good success with the TYR bag.

2013-01-24 10:32 AM
in reply to: #4592354

Expert
McAllen
bgraboski - 2013-01-24 6:49 AM

In all seriousness, the Speedo Pro backpack you do get from doing Ironman is great.  It is humongous and well made (at least so far).  Tons of pockets, wet clothes area, straps, etc.

$44 at - http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/22246.htm

My high school swim coach had our team fundraise so we can get matching team backpacks and it was this model. They're the closest thing to Mary Poppins' purse you can get. I fit two towels, my suits and goggles, heat sheets, stretch bands, swim caps, my shammy towel, textbooks, read-for-fun books, a first aid kit AND a homemade sack lunch. Plus other bits and pieces that don't take that much room--still probably could squeeze in some other stuff too. They also last a very long time and don't tear easily. Some zippers are touch-and-go but mine stayed in tact.

2013-01-28 7:04 PM

Extreme Veteran
Houston

i cant compare them, but i can tell you this.....the RSS is awesome and you wont be disappointed...

Good Luck!

Jb

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rocket Science Sports Rocket Bag vs TYR Convoy Transition Bag Rss Feed