General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2012-08-27 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4382155

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread

jackson61802 - 2012-08-27 12:35 PM No way that's correct. It was easily over 90 and quite humid. Cloud cover started rolling in in the afternoon, which helped keep the harshest rays to a minimum, but it was still very muggy. I had a decent race for going into this pretty much blind. No way to train for the heat, no hill training, halfway across the country from home and no family support on the course.

1:12 swim. Went really well. Water temp was 84 and felt great. Not much contact, easy sighting etc. have heard reports that course may have been long...lots of people went 5 minutes slower than previous years. Not sure as my swim PR is a 1:07 with a wetsuit.

Ride started on a bad note when I hopped on at the mount line and found my rear was flat. About a million people went by me during the 15 minutes it took to change it, and change it again when the spare blew as I was putting the wheel back on the bike. (I was the guy right there at the left hand corner of the chute cursing like a sailor).

Tough bike course, and really really boring. Very little crowd support, and I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere. Drank lots, took lots of salt pills, dumped lots of water on myself...never felt too hot. The unending rollers sucked. Overall hated the ride.
Not counting the 15 minutes for the flat, I rode a 6:02.

Run was tough for one of the same reasons above. Compared to AZ and CdA there was pretty much zero crowd support other than the aid stations and 2 blocks around the finish line. Pretty clear that the local community wants nothing to do with the race. Cnot even any support from the college kids and we run right by it. The whole run goes by residential houses and at most there was an old couple sitting out on their lawns watching. This all compared to CdA where whole streets had block parties with music playing. Cthank god for the awesome family members of other racers that were out there cheering for everybody.

Anyways, I shuffled a lot, walked the aid stations, caught up to my friend and brother at 20, I while I felt strong enough to pull ahead and finish sub 13, it was way more fun to spend those last few miles together and cross at the same time. 13:07 finish. Finish line on 4th street was pretty epic.

Overall it's been a great weekend, just not a race I would ever do again.

Hope everybody else had a good time. Sorry to you guys that had to drop out.

I'll never understand why some triathletes feel entitled to crowd support.  I think most people (myself included) think watching grass grow is just as fun.

2012-08-27 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3709126

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
Entitled? Not at all. I'm simply stating my experience compared to other races I've done. Maybe it doesn't do anything for you, but for myself, cheering crowds go a long way towards making the time go faster and the pain hurt a little less. In case you think I was bashing on your state...I wasn't. It's very beautiful and people were very friendly. The race experience itsel was just....different.
2012-08-27 1:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh

Congratulations Everyone!  I was down there cheering you all on!  It was a great day; I had several friends cross the finish line ~ some first timers, some seasoned veterans ~ SO happy to see them all.

FWIW ~ I watched weather bug on my phone all day; and the highest it reported was 91.  It was hot, but could have been worse.  Needless to say, that's what you're gonna get if you sign up for IMLOU

Enjoy your post IM bliss ~ you all deserve it!

2012-08-27 1:42 PM

User image

Master
So here is the million dollar question. Anyone signing up for next year?
2012-08-27 2:39 PM
in reply to: #4382503

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, NC
jhouse4 - 2012-08-27 2:42 PMSo here is the million dollar question. Anyone signing up for next year?
For me...no All things considered, I had a decent race. Swim did seem long and was slower then IMFL last year but I swam a lot more this year. Took about 15 mins off my bike time with a tougher and hotter course. I was so thankful to not encounter any mechanical issues or flat tires, apparently tacks were thrown on the road. The run was much better then last year as I could actually run until about mile 20 when I started to get woozy. So I pretty much walked until 25 or so. Felt nauseaus at the end but was able to walk and get some fluids that helped.With 2 Ironman races within a 12 month time period I think I am ready for a break!Hope everyone is recovering well!
2012-08-27 2:49 PM
in reply to: #4382503

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westfield, In

jhouse4 - 2012-08-27 1:42 PM So here is the million dollar question. Anyone signing up for next year?

One word YES!!!

2012-08-27 5:42 PM

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
I know its a long shot but anyone know #2494?  After the race the volunteer in transition handed me that bag instead of mine (2294) and another volunteer, who checked them at the exit, said I was good to go.  I was a bit tired and didn't check until back at the hotel and then realized the mistake.  I got them switched back at transition this morning but I hate to think about this guy not having his stuff so I just want them to know the race folks have it.
2012-08-27 5:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
It might be more work than you want, but someone on iamtri.com has the athlete list in excel. You could get the name and city and check Facebook or LinkedIn.
2012-08-27 7:09 PM

User image

Expert

Nope, not again, final ironman of my career, unless I decide to do another one at age 60.  I think 2 ironman races are more than enough for this old fart and my wife agrees. 

Happy for everyone's success' an sorry for other's misfortunes.  There is always next year.

2012-08-27 8:24 PM

User image

My wife and I just signed up tonight! Our first Ironman. Were pretty excited and nervous! No turning back now!
2012-08-27 8:39 PM

User image

Just signed up, First IM for me.

2012-08-27 8:51 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

I am not signing up for next year, but encourage anyone on the fence to do this race.  It is very well run, and a neat little city.  Yes, there were some issues, but there always are.  I was happy with my result (10:30), and may retire with that.  19 minutes away from Kona, but it took a lot out of me.  Looking forward to more time with the family...and we may just go to Hawaii anyway

And when I say retire...it may just be a year retirement

2012-08-27 9:33 PM
in reply to: #4383369

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Arkansas
schmize - 2012-08-27 8:51 PM

I am not signing up for next year, but encourage anyone on the fence to do this race.  It is very well run, and a neat little city.  Yes, there were some issues, but there always are.  I was happy with my result (10:30), and may retire with that.  19 minutes away from Kona, but it took a lot out of me.  Looking forward to more time with the family...and we may just go to Hawaii anyway

And when I say retire...it may just be a year retirement

I looked for your results. Very impressive yet again!

I was going to send you an email but might as well say it here. I used a LOT of the information you gave me and mixed in some of Jordon Rapp's plan and it worked extremely well. I finished with a 12:16 and had more left in the tank. Slow swim but very solid bike and run for me.

I paced a little too easy on the bike and early on the run, but I'm beyond pleased. The nutrition plan and other tips were a big part of my success. Just wanted to say thanks.

On another note, I saw this mentioned once, but did anyone else think the swim course was long? My time was 10-15 minutes short of what I felt I should've been able to do and really how I felt I was doing during the swim. I also compared the pro swims from last year to this and they appeared to be 5-6 slower. Not complaining. It just seemed odd.

I thought the race was outstanding. Very well run, as I've noticed in all WTC events, and the volunteers and fans were awesome. La Grange was really cool. That gave me a little extra energy each time I went through.

The bike course had much more elevation gain than the ~2,000 shown on the profile. More like ~4-5,000. Pretty fun course, though. And I loved the flat run course.

Heat was a little tough but the low humidity and occasional cloud cover made it much more easy to deal with.

2012-08-27 10:10 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina

I have talked to multiple people and general consensus is that the swim was approx. 1/4 mile long.

I, too, had nutritional/hydration issues on the bike and went into survival mode just to make it back to T2.  Spent about 30 minutes in the transition medical tent until I continued on the run.

I basically walked the entire marathon and after vomiting 3 times in the last 3 miles, I finished with about 15 minutes to spare before midnight.  My time was over 2 hours slower than last year.

I may take a break (1 year??) and focus on the 70.3 distance.  I will not be in Louisville next year.  My next IM will most likely be in a vacation destination (Cozumel, Brazil, or ???).

Edited by japarker24 2012-08-27 10:11 PM
2012-08-27 11:00 PM
in reply to: #4381998

User image

jhouse4 - 2012-08-27 10:58 AM Any truth to the rumour that there were two guys dressed in camo popping out at cyclists?

Confirmed.  My memory could be faulty, but I remember seeing one camo dressed guy on the Ballard School road portion of the ride.  He was very good at the camo!

2012-08-27 11:09 PM

User image

I thought yesterday was going to go a lot better than it did.  My swim was 11 minutes slower than the previous year so that kind of set the tone for the whole day.  The temps and headwinds got the best of me. My legs were shot by the time I got back into T2.  I was able to walk 14 miles and then had to call it a day.  My body was shutting down.  No matter how much fluids I took in, I just couldn't stay hydrated. Regarding my health, I am positive I made the right call.  But as far as my pride and ego go, well, they both took a swift kick to the butt.  I would love to do Louisville again, if for no other reason than redemption!  Does anyone know of an IM that takes place in cooler weather?

On a side note, I stayed at the Galt House hotel.  They have a little restaurant on the third floor which has a microwave. Last year they had no problems with heating up the left overs that the athletes were planning to eat for breakfast before the race.  Apparently that changed.  So no microwave.  I needed to reheat my spaghetti or else this would have been a much shorter day.  After about 15 minutes of complaining to the front desk, one of the ladies used their employee microwave to heat it for me.  For the money they charge for the rooms, not having a microwave available to the guests is ridiculous.  I will stay at one of the other hotels nearby. Also, they advertised free wi-fi with the rooms but they charged for it. They said this changed back in February.

Edited by Cincyman1113 2012-08-27 11:11 PM

2012-08-27 11:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
I the swim was really that much longer, then there had to of been a stronger current than I felt. My swim PR is 1:07 with a wetsuit and I did that on far more training than I did for this race. That means my 1:12 yesterday was closer to that 1:07 if the course was long.Either way, I loved the swim in that river. Not as good as CdA but far better than AZ.
2012-08-28 9:05 AM
in reply to: #4383503

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Cincyman1113 - 2012-08-28 12:00 AM

jhouse4 - 2012-08-27 10:58 AM Any truth to the rumour that there were two guys dressed in camo popping out at cyclists?

Confirmed.  My memory could be faulty, but I remember seeing one camo dressed guy on the Ballard School road portion of the ride.  He was very good at the camo!

I heard that the 2 guys in camo were arrested, as well as the guy who threw tacks on the course.

2012-08-28 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4383111

New user
Jon, we never exchanged names but we met while waiting for the swim start. My neighbor and I are from Ohio and were right in front of you. I'm glad to see you are an Ironman. I have to know, did the woman in line with you finish and did Hannah finish? Hannah and I went back and forth on the bike. Best of luck in the future.
2012-08-28 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4383948

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS

Jseminary - 2012-08-28 9:40 AM Jon, we never exchanged names but we met while waiting for the swim start. My neighbor and I are from Ohio and were right in front of you. I'm glad to see you are an Ironman. I have to know, did the woman in line with you finish and did Hannah finish? Hannah and I went back and forth on the bike. Best of luck in the future.

The woman standing with me didnt finish.  She cut her day short at the run turn and thinks it was for the best.  I ended up on a bed right next to her in the medical tent.  She was in there for 2 hours and they couldnt get an IV in her since she has small veins.  I talked to her yesterday and she was pretty disappointed, but since she had already done this race in 2010, so that probably helped.  I am not sure who Hannah is.  Was she standing with us in line?  Congrats to you as well.

2012-08-28 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4383869

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westfield, In
japarker24 - 2012-08-28 9:05 AM
Cincyman1113 - 2012-08-28 12:00 AM

I heard that the 2 guys in camo were arrested, as well as the guy who threw tacks on the course.

I did not see the guys in camo guys but glad to hear the person who threw the tacks may have been arrested. I gave a tube to one guy that had hit one.

Not sure how they caught the tack guy would be interested to hear.

Edited by rwsads 2012-08-28 10:25 AM

2012-08-28 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4383458

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
japarker24 - 2012-08-27 11:10 PM

I have talked to multiple people and general consensus is that the swim was approx. 1/4 mile long.

I, too, had nutritional/hydration issues on the bike and went into survival mode just to make it back to T2.  Spent about 30 minutes in the transition medical tent until I continued on the run.

I basically walked the entire marathon and after vomiting 3 times in the last 3 miles, I finished with about 15 minutes to spare before midnight.  My time was over 2 hours slower than last year.

I may take a break (1 year??) and focus on the 70.3 distance.  I will not be in Louisville next year.  My next IM will most likely be in a vacation destination (Cozumel, Brazil, or ???).

Sounds we we maybe had a similar race... I didn't spend any time in med but finished 1- 2 hours slower than I thought, and roughly 15 minutes before midnite. Awesome job enduring! I'm also back to focusing on 70.3 for the time being.
2012-08-28 11:34 AM

User image

Elite

hi everyone!  Hope you are recovering nicely. 

I thought the day was great weather wise, but you wouldn't have guessed it from all the carnage out there.  I've had several other collegiate swimmer friends mention they thought the swim was long, so that is a big relief!  Even though my shoulder wasn't happen, I thought I had a decent swim, but it was my worst yet. 

I went with my same plan, was riding great, but by mile 80 couldn't eat anymore, had trouble taking in any calories, and at mile 95 started to feel cramping in my quads.  On one tiny hill on the way back both quads seized and I had to stop.  If you saw a pathetic girl on the side of the road rubbing her legs and bent over dry heaving, that was me.  thank god the rest was downhill or flat.  I could pedal if I pointed my toes down.  Got to T2 and thought I was done. Rested, drank coke, took salt, decided I'd try to at least walk one loop.  Managed to do a walk/jog until I saw a distressed friend and decided to just walk until she caught me, which wasn't until 13. Walked some more with her, then saw another friend that could only take in water, and stayed with her.  She really worried me, and at that point, was walking a few more miles going to hurt? I did the math and knew I could finish. 

Now my feet? they were NOT ready to walk a marathon! 2 inch blisters on the balls of my feet.  But I did finish, got my medal, a shirt in the wrong size that doesn't fit (second time!!! really??) but I made it. 

Tough tough day.  Lots of folks with cramps out there. I handed out tums to 4 people, tylenol to a few others.  I witnessed two crashes, came upon another on the drop your chain hill on Ballard School, and talked to a guy that also crashed.  Plus I had a friend in the race that got taken out at a water stop and hit her head on the ground, ended up finishing the race with a concussion. Combine that with the tacks....brutal day.  Congrats to all.

Oh, I forgot, my happiest moments?  Playing Jenga with the frat boys on the run and petting two horses on Ballard School.

2012-08-28 11:54 AM

User image

Expert

@Turtlegirl:  I think your bike ride went about like mine.  

Felt great until mile 70 or so.  Things quickly went south and my planned 18MPH pace dropped to 15.  Ended up dry heaving a couple of times on the side of the road and each hill brought new creative ways to peddle without involving my quads as they would cease up if I did much more than look at them.  Hah, it was fun. 

Both feet had huge blisters on the pads and hurt so bad that I could barely put weight on them.  Considered taking a nap in T2 but figured I had 8 hours and worst case I could walk a marathon in that much time.  Out the door I went and ended up finishing just after 10PM.  Ran a little but walked most of it saving just enough in the tank to run the last 1/4 mile or so.  

Finishers chute was amazing and my family was all there to greet me.  I had a blast but right now have no desire to do that distance again.  I think 70.3 is the perfect distance.  Long enough to be a challenge but not so long that I get bored.

2012-08-28 12:03 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Just got an email from Ironman that says Louisville will be on September 8, 2013.  Does that change anyone's opinion on the race for next year?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 43