General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How have you surprised yourself with this sport? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-09-21 8:25 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
Subject: How have you surprised yourself with this sport?
3-4 years ago. I was a fat slob. I smoked cigarettes, fast-food was a staple, and I found this sport. A small part of me wondered along with my friends and family if this was simply a phase in my life, if in short time, I would revert back to a gawd-awful lifestyle. i've surprised myself by working through tough times..the baby steps..the initial shin-splints when i was so overweight it hurt to run one block. i think many of us get so wrapped up in moving fwd., we forget to reflect on how far we have truly come.

2005-09-21 8:32 AM
in reply to: #250790

Veteran
Michigan
Subject: RE: How have you surprised yourself with this sport?
trilover - 2005-09-21 9:25 AM

3-4 years ago. I was a fat slob. I smoked cigarettes, fast-food was a staple, and I found this sport. A small part of me wondered along with my friends and family if this was simply a phase in my life, if in short time, I would revert back to a gawd-awful lifestyle. i've surprised myself by working through tough times..the baby steps..the initial shin-splints when i was so overweight it hurt to run one block. i think many of us get so wrapped up in moving fwd., we forget to reflect on how far we have truly come.

You have basically described my experience as well (except for the cigs). After my first tri this past August, I have become completely hooked. I was so 'high' after my race that I was petting a dog and talking to it like it was a baby. Normally, I am NOT a dog person. I am allegic and find them annoying. As I was petting the dog, my wife was looking at me like I had two heads and said 'what the hell are you doing?' I don't think she has ever seen me pet a dog before. I plead temporary insanity, as I was out of my tree with my 'tri high'
2005-09-21 8:38 AM
in reply to: #250795

User image

Veteran
I think we're all finding comfort in each other since most of us did come from the same background. Back in 2002 I was a stock, overweight, smoking, unfocused, immature individual. Then I got into running and I was able to eliminate the first four problems (I'm still a bit childish ).

I also surprised myself with how awful my cycling has become!
2005-09-21 8:40 AM

So many suprises. When I started training I said I wanted to do a triathlon at least once in my life to say I did it. After my first, without even thinking about it, I started looking for the next. It's just flowed into being what I do now - a life of its own. Very cool.

Pleasantly suprised at how little I miss the old "party" ways.

Used to be the single chick who got lots of fast food meals - now I cook all the time.

Like an old dog learning new tricks, learning to swim from scratch has been a mind/body/soul expanding experience.

A few months ago I noticed that when I crossed my legs my calfs seemed to be "in the way"! It was funny, 'cause at first this was irritating. lol Now I appreciate it.

2005-09-21 8:41 AM

User image

Master
trilover - 2005-09-21 8:25 AM

If you change the time period to 2 years ago, you have described my experience with the sport as well. This year I completed olympic and 1/2 IM races - I just signed up for an iron distance race next year. Yeah, I'm pretty surprised with where this took me.
2005-09-21 8:47 AM
in reply to: #250802

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
Jerry-certainly agree with the immature bit. The sport brought so much discipline into my life. Although my gf would disagree as I'm sure she thinks I'm goofy as hell.

2005-09-21 9:21 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

4 years ago I was partying like a mad man, smoking and eating crap all over the place. I was 20 pounds overweight and I was in the worst shape of my life. 1 year and 5 months ago I decided to make a change in my life and started training and completed my 1st sprint tri. This year I’d been training VERY hard and I had a great season. So far I had completed 2 marathons, I won my age group at the Holliston sprint and finished 10th overall; I did my 1st HIM (Timberman) and finished in 4:56 hrs, I finished 2nd in my AG in another Oly with a time of 2:10 hrs, I finished 3rd in my AG and 15th overall at the Boston triathlon, I had a ½ Mary PR of 1:31, a 10K PR for 36:27 and now I am gunning to qualify for the Boston Marathon. I also made my Race Director debut and managed the 1st Annual Dash a Bash sprint Tri.

in other words triathlons had awakened a passion for exercise I haven’t felt since I was a teenager. Now I am dreaming to achieve much more and I’ll continue working very hard to achieve my new dreams/goals. I’d found a new lifestyle and I am in the best shape of my life. I LOVE this sport and I am even working towards making it a full time job in some way. Next year I am shooting to organize 3 Tri events and in December I'll getting certified as a USAT Coach level 1. My friends think I am going insane, and maybe there are right, but I am enjoying my life a lot more this year that I had in my previuos 4...

Thank you Tris and thank you BT!

2005-09-21 9:24 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
uber, new, mul, amiine..i love this..very inspiring to hear all of this.
2005-09-21 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX

I am an alcoholic and just 22 months sober.  I met a guy about a year ago who was training for IMAZ 2005.  I was ready to think about getting back into shape after about 18 years of alcohol, cigarettes, and fast food.  So I set a goal of doing a HIM in 2005 and was hoping to get in decent shape along the way.  The goal was to simply complete it and say I did it.  At that time, alcohol was a daily battle for me and I had not excercised consistently since I was in high school some 16 years ago.  I, with not nearly as much thought as what should have gone into it, signed up for Buffalo Springs Lake HIM and started training 1 year ago this month.  The first time I swam at the gym I could barely go 1 length of the pool(50 yards) with out being completely gassed and I had not ridden a bike but 1 time since I was probably 11 or 12.  The 1 time was on a drunken dare which ended in road rash.  I would occasionally run but I don't recall ever running more than 3 miles at a time.  But I plugged away.  I ran a half marathon February 12, 2005.  I did my first tri(oly) April 5, 2005.  I did another oly May 22, 2005.  Then the day came.  I completed a HIM June 26, 2005.  Since then I have completed another oly, a sprint, and another HIM(in ).  I have one more oly scheduled in 2 weeks and then I will focus on my first marathon in December.  Alcohol is no longer a daily battle for me because it would interfere too much with my training.  It is still a battle but those battles are much less frequent and more easily won these days.

I had just put this on my blog this morning that I actually miss working out if I don't do it for a few days.  I had taken 4 days off from running due to some tenderness in my Achilles.  This morning I was scheduled to return to running and I actually told my wife last night that I was excited to get to run this morning.  I can't imagine those words being uttered 12 months ago.  It is hard to explain how my life has changed.

Edited by ghart2 2005-09-21 10:33 AM
2005-09-21 11:07 AM
in reply to: #250948

Veteran
Chula Vista, Ca
Ghart2, what a inspiring post. Great job!
2005-09-21 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
I have always been somewhat active, never resorting to complete inactivity or substance abuse, so boring story. But, I did drop 20 lbs on a 6'2" frame this year and was surprised how far you can push your body at my age (46)....body has sustainable endurance now that I never would have thought possible....run heart rate average of 160 for 2-3 hours straight? I just marvel at what you can make the body do and shake my head in disbelief....I see the guys and gals in my AG and up, how fast and strong they are....and want to find out how far it can go....that's the addiction...after each race, I can't wait to line up again, find out what's on the other side

2005-09-21 12:41 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
I had no idea that I could run 6.32 miles. If you had asked me to do that at this time 2 years ago, I would have LAUGHED. I had no idea that I could ride 150 miles on a bike. I had no idea that I could become so attached to the feeling of finishing and not winning.

I have always been a fat (not chubby, fat) kid. I was a very good swimmer, but I always just swam, I didn't work out at all. I gained 25 lbs my freshman year of college. After I came back home, I volunteered as a lifeguard at the Pittsburgh Triathlon. I thought, "hey, this is EASY!", so I used the sign up sheet in our volunteer packet to sign up for the Johnstown YMCA sprint tri. I road a hybrid bike that didn't fit me, had slow transitions, and barely finished the run. I won my age category by showing up. I was 19. But I LOVED every minute of it. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.At thist ime, my endocrinologist put me on a 1200 calorie diet, enalapril to fix kidney damage from high blood sugar, and lipitor for high cholestorol. A few months later, I bought my first road bike. I had no idea how to ride it, how to shift, how to change a tire. But I got on and pedaled and eventually figured out how it worked. Signed up for the MS150 and had a great time. Went to my endocrinologist....I've lost 20 lbs, reversed my kidney damage, lowered my cholesterol, and in general feel great. Finished 3 sprints and a 1/4 Iron distance tri, have plans to run a half mary, and eventually a full iron. I'm amazed at muscles I didn't know I had!!
2005-09-21 1:30 PM

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2005-09-21 1:34 PM
in reply to: #251161

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
- 2005-09-21 12:30 PM

My First Tri season was this year..

First race - Delta, April 2005 Sprint.. last in my age group

Race Three - First in my age group

Last race this season- 2005 Age group championchips in Hawaii Octber 9

I'd say I've surprised myself More like blown away and dumbfounded and totally obsessed

Now that is cool.  Well done and congrats.

2005-09-21 2:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove, IL
I have come to know a passion I didn't think existed in me. Like so many of you, a year ago at this time I was very overweight, a smoker and ate like crap. I had my physical last year and my doctor told me if I didn't start losing weight and exercising she would have to put me on medication because my good cholestoral was very very low. For some reason, that had little effect on me and my ways didn't really change. Last January I'm sitting in a bar watching a football game with a few friends drinking and smoking like a chimney. One of my friends mentioned they signed up for a triathlon and something sparked in my brain. It sounded like such a great idea. What an amazing challange. At that point, no one would look at me and say "Eric, you could do that" because I wasn't even close to looking athletic. The whole aspect of a sport comprised of 3 events seemed very exciting. The idea brewed in my brain for a couple weeks and then I decided I would try and run and see how it went. I started off walking on the treadmill and finally mustered up the courage to actually run. That's where it started. The hardest part was starting out. I remember my first swim. Scared the crap out of me. I did a length and stood at the end of the pool gasping for air thinking, I have to do 32 lengths for even a half mile??? It was all about baby steps and not giving up. I've quit smoking and drink only occasionally. Working out and training have now become a part of my daily life and when I take a day off I always feel somewhat disappointed. I am absolutely addicted to this way of life and plan on continuing for a very long time. The great thing is there are always new challanges.
One of the things that helped me a great deal was finding this website. It is invaluable for someone who know absolutely nothing about triathlons.
Since February I've lost 40 pounds, completed 3 triathlons (2 sprints & an Oly), and am already setting my sights on training for a 1/2 IM next year. Never in a million years did I think I could acheive anything like this. I love it.
2005-09-21 3:26 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Wow- these are great stories.  It makes me mad sometimes when people tell me I need to "get a life" or tell me that I'm crazy.  They don't understand that training is more than just being fit- it's something to do to certainly be healthier and better shape, but it's also the best way to get to know yourself in your strongest and weakest moments and recognizing how far you can go if you really push yourself.  It's truly a life changing experience, both mentally and physically.  It's about setting goals and achieving them, making new friends, and sharing great race memories that are unforgettable.  BIt's about getting that feeling of excitement and nervousness before a race that you don't get from anything else. 

But looking back at my tri training experience, I spent a lot of time running for a few years and wanted to do something different after finishing my 2nd marathon. I decided it was time to tri.  I knew it was completely foreign and out of my comfort zone, but that's the best part of it.  When I first started swimming, I could only swim 50 yards at a time.  Now I am training for a 1/2 IM this November, and plan to complete a full IM next year.  I no longer doubt my ability and am fearless- my boundaries are unlimited.  I think that's the best feeling!  Tri training is really my therapy- my way to relieve stress, catch up with friends, etc...I love it and anyone who tells me I'm crazy is the crazy one for not doing it!

My biggest accomplishment- wearing all that darn spandex and being proud and confident of my big muscles tri training has given me!

2005-09-21 3:30 PM
in reply to: #251273

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2005-09-21 3:40 PM
in reply to: #251283

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
- 2005-09-21 3:30 PM
runnergirl28 - 2005-09-21 1:26 PM

My biggest accomplishment- wearing all that darn spandex and being proud and confident of my big muscles tri training has given me!

HECK YEAH! its all about the mucles and spandex.. (and rolling into your building withyour tri bike in hand and swim bag over the sholder and running into people)..

that's right baby! And as a male to be able to shave your legs! 

2005-09-21 3:44 PM

User image

Regular
Woodbury
I was fat, smoked , and ate fast food...just kidding.

I don't mean to make fun. You guys that came that far get huge credit. Keep hammering.

My history is less dazzling - I'm 36 now, ran cross country and swam in HS, but since then have done diddly endurance-wise. I was able to be fairly consistent weight training, but built up a comfortable spare tire to rest a beer on. So how was this first year surprising?

#1) Finishing FOMOP in both races this year. Not a bad place to start.
#2) Averaging over 21mph on the bike in the first race. That felt really good!
#3) Waist measurement dropping over 3" (36.25 to 33) in the last 9 months. I have been waffling on the high side for about a decade. I cannot find record of my waist being below 35.75" in that time.

and possibly most important...
#4) Now there should be a green star over there to the left. I'll never be a big poster here. I figure others have more experience, better suggestions, etc. Yet, I still found 25 (relatively) useful things to say!
2005-09-21 3:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove, IL
Congrats on the 25. I reached that point recently and it's all about the little victories isn't it?
2005-09-21 4:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN

Biggest surprise?  I didn't expect this would become a lifestyle.  I approached my first race with the "I want to say I've done it," attitude, but fell in love and here I am!  My complete obsession with triathlon has had such a positive impact on my whole family.  My husband has always been pretty active, but my activity level has had it peaks & valleys in recent years.  Now, our neighbors kind of shake their heads when we head out for a family bike ride (kids are 6 & 9) and they know that means we'll do 15 miles (with our 6 year old as a speedy line leader and mom and dad taking turns doing sprints!) and we'll all come home with smiles on our faces.  Our kids now want to know "is there a kids' race?" with every tri or 5k or 10k I do.  They are even doing a Kids' Marathon when I do my first 1/2 mary in November.  I didn't have time for hobbies or just hanging out before - and now I have even less time, but it doesn't matter anymore because my time feels so well spent and it's so good for me.  And when I face challenges at work, a little voice says, "You're a triathlete.  You can do this."  And I do.  Triathlon is the single most empowering thing I have done as an adult and it's effects are far reaching.

Congrats to all for all you've done!  Keep the tri spirit!

kris

2005-09-21 5:04 PM
in reply to: #250817

User image

Veteran
No Kidding Trilover! No matter how much we try to pretend we're all grown up, our GF still think we're kids. My gf thinks I love my bike more than her
2005-09-21 5:09 PM
in reply to: #250948

User image

Veteran
Congrats qhart! Really REALLY inspiring! What has your wife thought about this throughout this time?
2005-09-21 6:47 PM

Elite Veteran
Sooo many inspiring stories. Congratulations.

I have a couple of surprising stories. As background, this is my second season of tris; my first to attempt an OD race. The first surprising moment: After last summer hearing many radio ads for the Hotter "N Hell 100 bike tour/race in Wichita Falls, TX (and thinking, no way), this summer my nephew called on Thursday before the Saturday event and said he had signed up for the metric century. I told him that I'd go with him if I could get a hotel room. I did and we went. Pure fun. Last summer I would not have even considered it.

The second surprising moment. I've been going to several 50-75 mile bike tours with my nephew because he was in training for his second HIM. He was woefully undertrained for his first last year. Seven days before his HIM, I learned that the RD had also organized an aqua-bike event. I'd always planned to go to see my nephew race his A race of the season, but I thought, "The hell? I can get a workout in," while watching him so I signed up for the aqua-bike.

Some things you can forsee in January as you look at your race year. I never would have guessed that I did those two events; especially at the last minute.

I love this sport.

2005-09-21 10:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
First of all, there are some pretty inspiring stories out there and to all of you who have overcome obstacles and conquered deamons, my heartiest congratulations to all of you!

I have been lucky enough to have been pretty athletic most of my adult life because it was something I was encouraged to do when I was young by my parents. I have been involved in organized sports and individual sports. My recent transition from the weight room to the world of triathlons has been a fairly smooth and uneventful transitions (and I must give credit to my wife CindyK, she has been a big part of the success of that transition). I am a MOP and I am honestly just happy to be a 43 year old MOPer who is able to participate in the insantiy of a sport that we all aspire to participate in.

But, the most surprising and awesome thing though that I have found associated with this sport has been the people participating in the sport. I don't think that I could have ever imaged the commraderie that exists in this sport between the athletes. It never ceases to surprise me, the support that triathletes, their families, the spectators, the organizers give to the other triathletes participating in the same event. I think that makes this sport, and the people who participate in it a very unique group of people. I am proud to associate with people with that caliber of sportsmanship toward other athletes. It is truely inspiring and I truely hope that it never changes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How have you surprised yourself with this sport? Rss Feed  

of 2