General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DNS vs DNF Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-15 1:56 PM

Subject: DNS vs DNF
So I am still on the iron distance rollercoaster. I had my results from my MRI on my back which shows mod-severe degeneration in the facets and multiple disc bulging blah blah blah all of which could be causing my pain or none of it. Doesn't look like I could make it worse. I have stopped running and today am back up to 2 hours of walking. Last weekend I rode 60 miles Sat, 40 on Sunday. Prior to that I had done a couple centuries in August/ Sept. I do pay for the walking the next day but overall, it is some better.
So I pretty much gave up on doing the race on the 29th but kept kinda training a bit and just doing what I can on the days I can do it.
Soooooo-I am in no shape to do the marathon but I could do the swim and bike and maybe half the run. I don't think I am walking at a fast enough clip to make the cutoff and the price I would pay, I don't think I want to pay since I haven't walked more than 2 hours to date(7 miles).
Would you do what you could and know that finishing was probably not happening and stopping at the half way point of the run or just save it all for next year?
Damn the race! This rollercoaster has been crazy .....

2011-10-15 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3725074

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: DNS vs DNF

I'm in a similar position as you. My IM is in 3 weeks. My last run was May 7th. My knee has improved a lot since then by not running along with wearing a brace all the time other than sleeping, swimming or cycling. I've been swim and bike training and done some walks. Longest to date is 10 miles in one day split into 2:05 walk and another walk.

I'm planning on swim and biking and do what I can on the run but it will be walking w/small 30" bits of running.

I've cleared doing IM with my orthopedic surgeon. Walking 26.2 miles may make my knee swollen and be painful and he won't do surgery until it calms down post IM so surgery is scheduled a month after IM.

I will try to finish. If pain is to great I will stop but for me I decided participating is better than not participating. I need to work within my limitations. Last year I was on the run at 8:45 which gives me 8:15 to walk the Mary. My bike should be faster this year but who knows about the swim. If I can get on run by 8:30 I would have 8:30 to walk the mary.

If doing an IM would harm me, I would not do it or stop after the bike if the run was the issue. For me swim and bike causes no issue just running.

If I recall correctly you were in pain after riding long?

Is the possible post IM mary walk pain worth it to you to try and do it? Same with the bike?

What does your doctor say?

2011-10-15 2:37 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I wanted to add that I know it is a tough decision and wish you luck in finding peace with what you decide.

I did opt to drop out of IMLP this summer with injury issues and it was tough for me. I was able instead spend the day with my Dad on his 80th birthday. You have mentioned going and supporting friends...do you think that would be positive experience vs. racing with plan to stop after bike or see what you can do on the run or not.

I know I would have had a tough time going to IMLP and not racing.

Good luck!

2011-10-15 4:43 PM

Master
Northern IL

I don't actually have knee problems now, but if I trained well for a marathon distance I would.  Maybe not right away, but they would deteriorate much sooner.  I've learned to like the 70.3 distance more.  It's still not easy to do.  If I want longer, I'll look at events like Leadman or TriStar.

I am a little confused on the price to pay part. Did you mean physical price or monetary?  I aquabiked an Olympic this summer because my calf was too sore for the run.

2011-10-15 5:32 PM
in reply to: #3725088

Thanks for your replies! The bike is much less painful than running/walking although sitting for over 7 hours has never been comfortable-just a dull ache as opposed to stabbing pain. The MD is an IM/Boston marathoner and he doesn't say not to do it. Just is confused about where to start treating all the "issues" but pretty much trusts my ability to judge the pain and alter activites from there. That is the"price" we all pay-the discomfort/pain of doing the long stuff.

My friend that is doing it understands if I can't do it-sure is disappointed though. If things continue to slowly improve the next 2 weeks, I may just start and see where it goes. I have given myself permission to stop(that is a new thing for me) if the pain is too much. I am not willing to have long term issues.

Kathy, what knee procedure are you having? Microfracture? I do admire your "stick-to-it-iveness".
Have a great time at IMF and hope you heal up fast!
C
2011-10-15 6:55 PM
in reply to: #3725183

User image

Champion
MA

Cayenne - 2011-10-15 6:32 PM Thanks for your replies!  Kathy, what knee procedure are you having? Microfracture? I do admire your "stick-to-it-iveness". Have a great time at IMF and hope you heal up fast! C

I'm having two osteotomys...HTO to realign my leg so my weight is on part of my knee I still have cartilage. Second one will be top of my tibia so my patella tracks normally.

Knee is to far along to have microfracture. I have 3 bone on bone places where June 2010 my knee's cartilage was normal for my age.

Goal is to put off knee replacement as long as possible.

Maybe it is just being stubborn. As I turn 50 next month, I think about 10 years ago what I was like. In many ways participating in tris has changed my life so dramatically I am/will be profoundly sad if I'm unable to participate in the future.

2011-10-15 7:58 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA

I personally think the whole 'dnf is better than dns' is hogwash. 

If you are a first time IM'er and you don't finish it can be pretty devastating, others can shake it off but not finishing a race that is an entry into an exclusive club may put a hamper on your ego; especially when you see the 'some don't have the heart to finish an IM' posts..

I'll stop ranting now and get to my what you should do...

If you are having to set best case scenarios just to finish, and a dnf will hurt you either physically or emotionally, then I would not do it.  Otherwise, I say go for it.

I am going through the same thing after reinjuring my achilles, luckily things are going good now (although I'm scared to run and get reinjured) and my plan is to train my tail off with a heavy bike focus and make an honest assessment when my taper starts on Nov 6th. 

2011-10-15 9:49 PM

Master
Northern IL

Doing what you can sounds good.  I swam and rode like I was going to run.  Calf wasn't feeling up to it, so just walked up to the guys at T2 and turned in my chip.  And that was that.

My Dad was a 2:50 marathoner and one of his brother hit ~2:41.  Add in a third brother and while in their 50's there have been 5 knee replacements and 2 hip replacements.  This is on top of multiple knee surgeries over the years before that.  My dad had the one Kathy is looking at too, but I can't remember the exact location in the knee.  Muscles I may push, but if a joint becomes sore, I stop well before I need to.  It's already been pushed too far. It's going pretty well so far with the volume I'm putting in.

Sounds like you'll be ok going for it with the idea of being prepared to stop.  Enjoy the first two legs and be cautious on the third.  If you can keep the bigger picture in mind and not get caught up in the event too much, it's not that hard to stop.

2011-10-16 6:02 PM

User image

Expert
Northern CA

I think it depends on what you want to get out of it and also finances. I have a friend who was signed up for Oceanside 70.3 and injured herself and was under orders not to bike or run. But she'd paid her entry fee so decided to go down there and do the swim and then support her friends.

I've also entered a race knowing I was going to DNF after the bike because I was under orders not to run. But it was a local race. And again there was a big group of friends there to support so it was worth going even if I didn't race at all.

OTOH, it costs a lot to do an IM if you have to travel significantly to get there. So it might not be worth it to go and spend all that money on lodging, food, plane fare, etc. if you aren't going to do the whole race.

2011-10-20 4:44 PM

New user
, Massachusetts
I think you should do the race. I'd only do what you're physically capable of doing that wouldn't contribute to further injury. I don't think I'd do any of the run. I had signed up for an event this summer and choose not to do it last second. I wish now I showed up and at least did what I was physically capable of doing. For me, the feeling of quitting was worse than showing up, trying and not finishing. Start with a healthy mindset/perspective, that it's about enjoying the event in the way your physically capable of and NOT about finishing. Enjoy it without the added pressure of having to perform, it might give you a new perspective to it all. I wish I had. Sometimes it's about the finish, sometimes is about the journey/experience. This is, of course, just my opinion.

Edited by guy2600 2011-10-20 4:47 PM
2011-10-21 11:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Well I have done both I signed up for the Philly Marathon in 2009 and didnt even start due to some personal issues and mentally I wasnt in the game.....it still haunts me today that I finally will sign up for my first open marathon IN 2012......and of course I had a DNF for my first ever triathlon sprint whcih I live in Pa and decided to go to South Beach and ended up not finishing due to two flats and to be honest with myself I think the heat would of got to me by the run......So do I feel better about one or the other absolutly NOT....they both suck and I wouldnt choose either.....but in your case I would look at yourself honestly and if you feel your healthy to give it a go than do it....its better to have tried and fail than to never have tried at all...but as someone else said its hard to get over it, I think for me it was harder to get over DNF, to this day I see florida as my nemisis, so much that I have stayed away from that state in fear of another negative experience...but I will hopefully sign up for IM arizona for 2012 and than have round 2 with florida in 2013....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DNS vs DNF Rss Feed