General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike try Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-17 11:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Riverdal NJ
Subject: Tri bike try
So i have an appointment for Saturday to get set up on a Cervelo P2 and take it for a test ride. I have never ridden a tri bike or even a road bike with aero bars. What should i be looking for in the aero position? How comfortable can i expect to be or is there a lot to get used to in this position? It should be said that there is no circumstance that i will be buying the bike on Saturday but they happen to have gotten a 61cm in when they ordered there 2012's and they said they want to fit me on it so we know it will fit when i hopefully buy it in January. Thanks for your opinions!

2011-10-17 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3726757

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach
Subject: RE: Tri bike try

Test rides aren't a great evaluative tool. The only thing you can be sure of is it will feel weird, and probably not "good" weird. Surprised

People take test rides "to see what a bike will 'feel' like". You sure wouldn't buy a car without test driving it first- would you? Neither would I.

Problem is, test driving a car and getting used to a new bike is completely different and not a comparable experience.

If you haven't been on a triathlon bike before it will feel odd even if it is fitted and positioned perfectly.

I'll suggest the best way to start your search is with a F.I.S.T. Certified, experienced bike fitter. They can take a set of measurements of your body and recommend the best frame dimensions and geometry based on a set of empiracle, known metrics. From there they can make the necessary changes in crank length, pedal set-up, saddle choice, reach, stem length, aerobar length, etc. to optimize the bike for your dimensions.

It takes a considerable time, usually at least 60-90 days for recreational level athletes like you and I to get truly accustomed to a new bike. Top pros take less time since they spend more time on the bike.

Test rides aren't a good, reliable tool for evaluating if a bike is truly optimal for you. It's better to start with an accurate fitting from a good bike fitter experienced in triathlon specific bike fit.

Edited by Tom Demerly. 2011-10-17 12:04 PM
2011-10-17 12:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Riverdal NJ
Why is it that there are more F.I.S.T. certified fitters in Alaska then there are in NJ I really don't want to go to NYC to get a bike fit but i guess if that's my best option I will do it. I have had great experience with this bike shop in regards to fit and they service and supply the largest tri club in my area. They have a Retul bike fit but is that just for road bikes? I was really hoping for an easier answer oh well haha.
2011-10-17 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3726806

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

Retul is exactly like an allen wrench. Exactly.

It is a great tool if the person using it knows what they are doing to complete a specific task.

A great triathlon specific fitter can produce great diagnostics using Retul- or any other fit diagnostic tool. A poor fitter or a road fitter won't magically be able to produce a good triathlon fit with any diagnostic tool.

It's worth it to make a trip to a shop where the people are formally trained and F.I.S.T. Certified in traithlon specific fit. Few road fitters have the necessary insight to set up a bike optimally for the aero position and for running after riding. Many good road bike fitters can set up a great UCI legal time trial position, but not a triathlon position.

If you are thinking of buying a new bike it is worth the trip to a F.I.S.T. Certified fitter even if it takes you a few hours to get there. You won't regret it. It will save you money and discomfort.

2011-10-17 1:11 PM

User image

Pro

Well, Tom's probaby right.  Nevertheless, bikes DO feel different. And more different still, depending on how you're positioned on them.  Buying a tri bike isn't like buying a road bike- which is comparatively much easier.  1cm here or there on a road bike is much easier for your body to compensate for when your hands, wrists, forearms, elbows and shoulders are all free to move about.  But, when in the aero position- you're locked in, with much less free play.

So- I've been measured up and have a good idea of which bikes I'll fit on.  Terrific- that narrows it down to about 7 different models for me.  I'm in the market as well (no rush tho, I've got all winter), and would either buy a bike from a shop that has spent time with me setting me up on a few suitable bikes, or if that doesn't happen, find a killer deal on a good used one.  Tom's opinions, since they're actually based on a lot of experience, are probably dead on.  Nevertheless, the process of picking out the perfect bike for yourself is an opportunity for your LBS to build a relationship with you. 

Or- negate a relationship with you in the case of two of my LBSs that I deal with.  One told me that their Slice's were on sale (which they were, great price, no problem there).  "But I'm not sure they'll fit me, as I need a more long/low geometry".  "That's BS, we'll just put on a longer stem, adjust the seat and it will be fine, we do this every day."  "Really?- that's not what I've been hearing.  But, I'm willing to try, do you have one?"  "No, you'd need to buy it and we could order it for you."   So- no test ride, bad advice, shop wasn't at all helpful to me.  So, they get nothing back.    Another shop; walked in asking about tri bikes, and the salesperson suggested that I go to the local swap meet as his friend was selling a bike there that would work for me.  WTF? 

There are a number of interesting articles over on Slowtwitch that are worth a read:  Start here:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/Choosing_a_Tri_Bike_via_Stack_and_Reach/index.html

I'm not finding this to be an easy process.

2011-10-17 3:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Riverdal NJ
Well since i already set it up, its not costing me anything, and i really have nothing better to do I think ill go try it. If for nothing else then to see what I'm getting into. If it doesn't feel right i will make the trip to NYC I'm not apposed to going and I have been meaning to check out SBR anyway I just avoid the city if I can haha. Thanks for the advice and I'm sure I will be back for more.

2011-10-17 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3727277

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach
I can tell you that SBR has some very experienced fitters on staff.
2011-10-18 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Riverdal NJ
OK great that's where I was planing to go for the F.I.S.T fitting I have heard good things. I would be a little concerned about getting a bike from there though since its not exactly local. The bike shop I go to now is Ridgewood cycle in NJ I don't know if that means anything. Should I get the F.I.S.T. find out what bike I need buy it locally and then take it to SBR for the fit or is that a lot of wasted steps? I would just rather support close buy if its needed. I know the local shop will still help me if I bought it somewhere else as I bought my current bike somewhere else but I'm sure they will charge if the bike isn't from them. Thanks Tom for all your advice so far it has been very help full.
2011-10-18 8:31 AM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

Good luck with the fitting. I don't have a lot to add to what Tom said, except for a couple of recent experiences from getting a fit and buying a P2, my first tri bike.

Tom's right that it's likely to feel weird at the beginning. I really didn't much like riding my tri bike for the first month or two, as it felt so different from what I was used to. It will take time.

In getting fit to the bike, and in learning to ride it, I found that position on the saddle made a huge difference to comfort. If I sit too far back the strain on the legs increases a lot. Oh, and I found the stock saddle on the P2 quite "intrusive", if you know what I mean. I picked up an Adamo saddle instead, which is still taking some getting used to, but is certainly not intrusive in the same way.

If you're looking at a 61 are you quite tall? I got a 56 cm P2, which was ample for me. My roadie is an XL (Specialized) and I'm 6'0" tall with a longish torso. My fitter, who is reputed to be one of the most experienced in my state, also is 6'0" and rides a 56 Cervelo TT bike.

2011-10-18 8:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Riverdal NJ

Thanks for the info. I have an adamo saddle on my road bike and depending on the tri bike i wind up with and the saddle it comes with it will be moved to the tri bike. It has been interesting getting used to that saddle but now i am more comfortable then I ever was with the stock one.

I am pretty tall... 6'6" my current road bike is a 2009 Fuji Rubaix that is 64cm. That's part of the reason my LBS wanted to set me up on the 61 they want to see if it will fit well or if I will be better of on the 58... of course this may prove Toms point I guess they should really know which one would fit me without me being on the bike.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike try Rss Feed