General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dog attacks on rides/runs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-21 7:46 PM

User image

Subject: Dog attacks on rides/runs

This is from my log last weekend....question to follow:

This was my first time to ride with Jen (Frog Girl). We had a good time, although we were chased by many dogs. The first dog we passed was fast (>20mph) and nearly got my L ankle; and we were going downhill! Anyway, we kept riding, and were chased by a handful of other dogs along the way. About mile 15 or so, we went through the valley of the shadow of death. Just as we're cresting a hill, I yell back to jen that I see a dog, but it is starting to head away from us so it shouldn't be a problem. Then as we finish cresting the hill, we see another dog, and another, and another, oh look, there's a pack of about 15 dogs standing unchained on the side of the road! After I crapped my pants, I yelled back at Jen to pedal hard...and fortunately the dogs decided not to give chase. I was so thankful they weren't hungry for biker...they must have eaten the last one that came through....and they were all at least the size of labs (40+ lbs). So, we get chased by a few more dogs after we passed the pack. We were dumped out onto a road that we had originally started on, and guess what, we got to experience the insanely fast and mean dog again, but this time he had his dog friend with him. Teeth snarling and giving insane-o chase we sprint off to try to get away. Oh, this time the chase is uphill for us. The dog ran with me for about 50yds, then dropped back for Jen. It hit her back wheel and then I guess chased her a little more before giving up. This dog was mean! All I could think about was carrying a 9mm with me on the next ride through there. I've had some violent images as I'm trying to fall asleep at night about what I would do to that dog on the next ride. I think I will avoid that route for now...at least until I can get some more brave bikers with me to handle it. I'm going to post a question in forum to see what others are doing about particularly threatening dogs.

These dogs were all big and I was genuinely concerned for my safety as well as Jen's.  I have several ideas for dog control running through my head....a small 0.38 pistol and a conceal carry license (only for the ones that can knock me off the bike...not just every dog I see)....a tazer, but then they could run off with the barbs and I don't have it for the next dog(s)...a stun gun, but then I have to be VERY close to activate it....a horse whip, like they use in horse racing, but then I might just tick the dog off....not good.....maybe a reinfocred pressure hose from Home Depot with a bolt fastener on the end for good measure.....maybe pepper spray....maybe an airhorn....as you can see, I've thought a lot about this....

I would appreciate the advice of anyone who has experience dealing with many dogs on bike rides...and runs, for that matter.  I ride through the middle of the country, so none of the dogs are chained and no one's around to hear screams for help!  Thanks.... 

2005-09-21 8:03 PM
in reply to: #251470

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Dog attacks on rides/runs
Can you take another route? If not, I'd opt for a bag of raw meat filled with some home made poison.
2005-09-21 8:09 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

First off, I love dogs more than I do most people, particularly people who own dogs that chase me.

Does your county have an animal control officer? What are your local ordinances concerning nuisance dogs? Your first/second course of action (since you survived the first encounter) should be to report the situation to the proper authorities (assuming that they exist).

After that, you have the following options (in order of escalation)

1. avoid the area where the dogs are
  2. out run them
  3. shout at them "NO!" often works
  4. spray them with water from your water bottle
  5. mace the bastards
  6. Katy bar the door (the old ultraviolence we must reserve as a last resort)

If you are encountering a solitary cur, and you can manage it, changing your course slightly or varying your speed will often cause the mangy mutt to miss you entirely. The surprise shout will alos cause the beast to pause long enough for you to get away. A pack of them is another matter entirely and is a genuine public safety issue.

edited to say:  that I have ridden and run rural roads for about 10-12 years now 2000-3500 miles a year, and have only had to mace two dogs,  I have hosed down dozens with the water bottle, thrown rocks at 2-3 while running, and I have yet to have to shoot one.

Edited by ride_like_u_stole_it 2005-09-21 8:13 PM
2005-09-21 8:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
There have been definite times when mace would have been handy, but for most situations I use the "happy talk" approach. Although I must admit I think this works good for me because I am a woman and have a higher pitch voice.

First thing I do is slow WAAAAAY down. Dogs that chase are triggered to so by the chase instinct. Some dogs have it way more than others. So I want to try and slow down that response. I want to try and coast as much as possible so my ankles are not targets for gnashing teeth. Also, if I am going slow, there is less chance of running into a dog and crashing. And if the dog gets aggressive, I can jump off the bike and put the bike between me and the dog. I have been chased my some REALLY aggressive looking dogs that stopped and went home as soon as I dismounted the bike and stood still.

Second, I start talking happy to the dog. Things like "Hi, puppy, puppy, puppy!" or "Hey doggie, go back home" but all in a very happy upbeat tone almost like when you are praising a dog. It is absolutely amazing the number of dogs that hear that happy tone from a bike and stop and stare as I ride by with a very quizzical look on their face. I think most dogs are used to being yelled at and a happy upbeat tone really throws them for a loop. I actually think some yummy treats would be a good idea too, but I never seem to remember them.

I have several dogs on my route that I have done this technique and most them give up chasing at all after about 4 or 5 times of happy talking to them. It's really pretty neat. Same applies to running too. After they quit chasing, then I don't have to slow down at all. They just watch me ride by.

Now there are some dogs that just don't connect with happy talk. I really do need to carry some mace for those few dogs just in case.

Diane
2005-09-21 8:41 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

(Halt.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Halt.gif (2KB - 39 downloads)
2005-09-21 8:44 PM

Expert
Brisbane
Talk to your animal control about letting the owners in and around teh area there have been complaints. Unfortunately the dog is the only one likely to suffer at teh hands of animal control if the owners don't take responsibility.

I have 5 dogs, 4 of which are Siberian Huskys who love to chase but not to harm (that is of course if you are a rabbit or similar then you are taking your life into your own hands).

they are not let anywhere near a road without a lead, mainly because we would never see them again. You would be doing the dog a service by talking to animal control, because its you on a bike this time but a car or truck next and we know who the loser is there.

There was a tread on this topic about a month ago, so do a search for more info.

2005-09-22 7:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Way back when (I used to do cycling RR's) I had a couple of routes that I knew had dogs that would chase (I add that they were on their side of the fence), I used them as sprint practice.
2005-09-22 7:08 AM

User image

Giver

I haven't had bad dog encounters (chased, but never really approached more than a few feet), but I have had one hilarious one. I was pre-riding the course of a sprint tri earlier this year. It was at a state park and extremely rural. My friend and I were approaching a right hand turn, where there was this little convenience store. As we slowed to make the turn, a pack of (no kidding) 5 Jack Russell terriers appeared from behind the store and descended upon us at top speed (top speed for Jack Russells). I was laughing so hard I could barely control my bike, but managed to slow to about 5mph. Those dogs were absolutely fearless, yapping like little banshee dogs, running at our heels, darting in front of our wheels. We pedaled slowly until we were about 200 yards past the store, where the last of them finally peeled off.

And since it was an out and back course, the scene repeated itself on the way back.

2005-09-22 7:24 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
I got chased by a cow once....
2005-09-22 7:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
What works for me is to yell in a very stern voice "Bad DOG, GET".  I find that this works fairly well.  My second option is the product Bear suggested.  
2005-09-22 7:38 AM

User image

Elite
First of all I would STRONGLY advise against a firearm. First because the effective range of a gun small enough for you to carry on a bike, while firing it from a bike would be literally a few feet at best and a dog doesn't present a very good profile when it is charging. Second, and more importantly you open yourself up to a world of potential liability (just because the effective range is short doesn't mean that bullet still can't travel a long way).

The spray Bear suggested is good. And there are a few bear sprays (not our bear, but actual bears) that I have known people to carry when dealing with dogs. A bit bigger, but they have a much longer range.

If you do a search there are a few other threads that talk about this as well.

bts

2005-09-22 8:15 AM
in reply to: #251644

User image

Giver

Brett - 2005-09-22 7:38 AM First of all I would STRONGLY advise against a firearm.

And holy crap...suppose you crash and it discharges?

2005-09-22 8:25 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Some people squirt the dogs with their water and that has worked on our group rides.  I personally just ignore them and I'm fine.  But then again those crazy dogs have never gotten that close to me so I can't really relate. 
2005-09-22 8:33 AM

Sidney, Ohio
The safest thing is to simple slow down and end the chase. Sucks when you are moving along enjoying a great ride but is better than crashing and hurting yourself or worse your bike.
Pepper type sprays work but on you and ride buddies also. I was with a group once when a guy sprayed a dog (with 3 legs) and we all rode through the mist. The rest of that ride was no longer a good time. Jeff
2005-09-22 9:09 AM

Veteran
Michigan

I got chased by a 3 legged dog too - man, it was fast!  In my city we have leash laws so I rarely ever encounter dogs.  My problem is squirrels and cats.  The squirrels are crazy around here.  They dash into the street and when the see me, they stop and can't decide to run back or keep going across.  I have to try to figure out which way to swerve.  And, I swear, they are dropping nuts on my head on purpose!  As for cats...no offense to cat lovers, but why do people have "pets" that they just let roam free outdoors?  They poop in my kids' sandbox, hide under my car and bug the heck out of my dogs who are in their own fenced in yard.  And the owners just hope the cats will eventually head home again?  I don't get it.

Edited by kimta 2005-09-22 9:18 AM
2005-09-22 9:30 AM
in reply to: #251484

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX

auto208562 - 2005-09-21 7:03 PM Can you take another route? If not, I'd opt for a bag of raw meat filled with some home made poison.

This reminded me of a Simpson's episode where Bart was being chased by a rabid dog and Homer says "I'll save you boy" and throws a raw steak towards the dog.  The dog just swallows the raw steak whole and never breaks stride.  Homer's response to this "Run faster boy, he has a taste for meat now!"

I also was chased one morning last week while running.  It was like a 5 pound yippy dog that just ran along behind me knipping my heels.  At first it was really funny but then it became really annoying because the damn thing would not relent.  I yelled at it, made aggresive moves toward it, kicked at it, etc and this thing just kept coming.  I weigh 180 lbs and this thing weighs maybe 5 lbs and just keeps coming after me.  He finally quit after I turned off HIS street.

2005-09-22 9:35 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

I have the pepper spray that bear suggested, you can also get some good pepper spray at wal mart. I use it only if I think the dog is big enough to get me or wreck me (i.e. dont use it on little puppies running out in the road). I have to admit it cracks me up to see a big dog looking all mean coming out after me and when I spray them they do summer saults trying to get back across the road to rub their faces in the grass.

I did have one owner say something to me and I told him it was for the dogs protection, because if the dog came out on me and a car was coming the dog would get hit, he was a ass still so  I told him maybe I should spray him then kick his ass; he left me alone.

Get some pepper spray. it works and just make you feel safer, I even carry it on runs because it clips to my waistband.

2005-09-22 9:38 AM
in reply to: #251723

User image

Giver
And with the pepper spray, make sure you're not spraying into the wind...
2005-09-22 11:04 AM

Pro
jdd7734 - 2005-09-21 7:46 PM

I have several ideas for dog control running through my head....a small 0.38 pistol and a conceal carry license (only for the ones that can knock me off the bike...not just every dog I see)....a tazer, but then they could run off with the barbs and I don't have it for the next dog(s)...a stun gun, but then I have to be VERY close to activate it

*sigh* Americans have so many weapons options. Up here in Canada, we're pretty much limited to bicycle pumps and machetes.

Edited by Opus 2005-09-22 11:05 AM
2005-09-22 12:10 PM
in reply to: #251795

User image

Giver

Opus - 2005-09-22 11:04 AM
*sigh* Americans have so many weapons options. Up here in Canada, we're pretty much limited to bicycle pumps and machetes.

Don't forget hockey sticks...

2005-09-22 12:22 PM
in reply to: #251849

Pro
run4yrlif - 2005-09-22 12:10 PM

Opus - 2005-09-22 11:04 AM

Don't forget hockey sticks...

And dead beavers!

2005-09-22 6:45 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse
There are a bunch of dogs on one of my regular rides. The stern shouting thing has worked so well for me that I seem to have tamed a few of them. They know me, so they start barking when I appear but when they figure out it's me, they stop their charge.

Then again, I yell really loud.

Here's Runner's World's take on it. I don't actually like their advice on laying down on the ground, but whatever:

Runner's World
Canine Encounters: Dogs on the Run?
What to do when Rover comes after you

by: Beth Moxey Eck
Here's a fact: The editors of Runner's World love dogs. At last count we had 13 dogs among us (and we only have 15 staffers). Still, as fond as we are of our furry pals, there's one thing we don't appreciate: being chased by them while we're running.

What can you do to protect yourself from canines on the run? For answers, we went to dog training expert, Karen Peak, owner of West Wind Dog Training in Prince William County, Va. Below are her tips:

IF YOU ARE CHASED . . .

Slow down. Slow your run to a walk. "The prey instinct dogs have is triggered by fast movement," says Peak. "Slowing down to a walk makes you seem less interesting."

Turn around. Turn and walk in the opposite direction of the dog.
Don't stare. "Staring a dog in the eyes can be interpreted as a threat by some dogs," warns Peak. "Keep the dog in sight, but avert direct eye contact."

Be boring. If the dog approaches you, stop and stand very still. The more boring you are, the less you'll interest the dog.

Report it. If an aggressive dog continually threatens you on a run, choose a different route and file a report with animal control.

IF YOU ARE ATTACKED . . .

Hit the ground. If the dog attacks, cover your head and curl into a ball. "Your best bet in an attack is to minimize access to the soft tissue areas such as your throat, face, and belly," says Peak.
Start yelling. But scream something that you know will get people's attention, such as "Fire!" "Help" may not do it.
2005-09-22 6:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen, TX
obviously you should punch the dog in the face. its what REAL triathletes would do.

also, when encountering sharks on a swim, be sure to wrestle them and drown them in the ocean. thats right. drown a shark.

thats all the advice i have for today.
2005-09-22 7:22 PM

User image

Master
One summer I ran and rode through farm country and many dogs. There were certain places where I would stop and pick up a stick. It's dangerous and scary when they sneak up behind while you're running or when you have to kick at them while on your bike. I own two dogs and am pet friendly, but if people allow their dogs to run wild, a sharp whack on the snout with at stout stick seems like a fair way to modify the animal's behavior with minimal risk to yourself.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dog attacks on rides/runs Rss Feed