General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crossfit to Prevent Injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-19 7:49 PM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
Subject: Crossfit to Prevent Injury

Yes... I am starting another Crossfit thread.  Apologies if it seems like overkill.

This past season, I had to drop out of The Wildflower long course due to an awful back injury.  I dropped out only two weeks to race day, so I was pretty crushed.  This was to be my first long course.  I rehabbed the back trying tons of different things.  Sadly, my back got better, but not good enough for Vineman 70.3.  Had to drop out of that one too.  Luckily, everything got just good enough for me to race Tri Cal's Alcatraz Triathlon at the end of August.  I did it with no problems, and loved every moment of it!

I am so scared to jump into any long distance training.  Next season, I am only committed to The Escape From Alcatraz on June 10th.  I just registered the other day!  I may do Barb's Race at the end of July, but am going to wait a while to register.

Now to my question:  I've committed to doing Crossfit with a fantastic coach here in SF starting next week.  I'm pretty excited about it.  I plan to go once a week for a few weeks, then twice a week, then up it to three times a week by December.  Have any of you experienced less injuries, better mobility, and just better tri results after doing Crossfit consistently for a few months?  I still plan to swim, bike, and run during the winter months, but much less frequently.  I'm hoping to be injury free next season because I just don't want to deal with the heartbreak again.  I;d love to hear about anyone's injury rehab or healthy tri season due to Crossfit.

2011-10-19 10:26 PM
in reply to: #3730860

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: Crossfit to Prevent Injury

I have not but my cousin is a former professional triathlete and over the last while she has really gotten into CF.  She had a rather serious injury that has prevented her from running.  She attributes to her now being able to run to CF.  She is also a personal trainer so she is very familiar with the more traditional forms of working out.  She says she has never felt stronger.  My personal opinion is it doesn't have to be CF but if you take the time to do CF using proper techniques you can only get stronger.   I don't know about better mobility though.  That girl is as inflexible as they come.  lol 

I question only going once a week though.  From what I know about CF and the complete randomness of it and the short duration it is a form of working out that really does better with frequency.  I forget the exact progression they expect though.

2011-10-20 7:55 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
I share the opinon that it doesn't have to be CF, but if you enjoy CF than go for it.  Coming back from injury is a very tricky thing.  If you have several CF gyms in your area I'd interview the instructors at each to see how they'd tailor a program to address your individual issues.  If they're just going to put everyone through the same WOD regardless of pre-existing injuries than I'd pass on that gym.
2011-10-24 10:30 PM
in reply to: #3731176

User image

Veteran
San Francisco

Thanks for the input.  I'm just going to start going once a week for the first 2-3 weeks, and then build to twice then three times each week.  

The instructor I'm going to work with is meeting with me privately to teach me the basic lifts and other things before I start.  He's an accomplished triathlete himself and has a wonderful reputation in our community, so I know I'll be in good hands.  Plus, my brother and a few triathlete friends regularly go to his classes.  

I think CF will be a good fit for me because I like structure and a supportive environment.  

2011-12-28 11:46 PM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco

Just to follow-up on what I asked a couple months ago...

I have now been doing CrossFit Endurance twice a week for about a month now.  I love it.  I feel stronger, more stable, more mobile in my hips, and have experienced zero back pain!  

I'm heading into my 2012 tri season strong!  I know this isn't a magic pill, but I am definitely seeing improvements.  

2012-01-03 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3959049

User image

Expert
San mateo California

Awesome...   

I got injured doing Crossfit as well...   but then I realized that what I needed to work on is my on my form...   I have been doing that and I haven't gotten injured in over a year... I crossFit 4 times a week..  and I am in the best shape of my life..  I love it..

Looking forward to crush IM Arizona this year..

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crossfit to Prevent Injury Rss Feed