General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HITS Triathlon Series: Naples - Sprint Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-23 7:56 PM

Subject: HITS Triathlon Series: Naples - Sprint Course : Official Thread

Hello people,  this will be my first sprint EVER....what to do???

2011-10-24 7:20 AM
in reply to: #3735242

Regular
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: HITS Triathlon Series: Naples - Sprint Course : Official Thread

Have you read any books for advice on transitions and rules?  Check out your library.  I found it very helpful before my first race.

Polly

2012-01-06 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3735242

User image

New user

Pablo01

Please make sure to come prepared for the swim.  It appears to be a simple out and back.  Many people in Calif. were not prepared for the colder water and suffered.  Make sure you have a well fitting wetsuit.  Personally I plan to arrive early and sneak in a 100 yd swim to get the shock out of the system and confirm goggles and everything else is working.

The bike seems simple enough and the run should be flat? I may wear a long sleeve shirt for the bike as the wind-chill could be uncomfortable until you warm up.

Take your time and you should have plenty of fun. 

2012-01-06 12:45 PM
in reply to: #3974904

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
hugocity - 2012-01-06 11:43 AM

Pablo01

Please make sure to come prepared for the swim.  It appears to be a simple out and back.  Many people in Calif. were not prepared for the colder water and suffered.  Make sure you have a well fitting wetsuit.  Personally I plan to arrive early and sneak in a 100 yd swim to get the shock out of the system and confirm goggles and everything else is working.

The bike seems simple enough and the run should be flat? I may wear a long sleeve shirt for the bike as the wind-chill could be uncomfortable until you warm up.

Take your time and you should have plenty of fun. 

Yes, one of the main things in cold water is shocking the body.  Getting a few strokes on the cold a few mins before the gun goes off.  Also, make sure you have the following with you (even if borrowed)

1. wetsuit and goggles - in January, all open water swims require a wetsuit, even that far south.

2. bike pump and tube

3. helmet - mandatory for all USAT races

4. registration docs

Finally, I suggest you print out the tri checklist form from www.triathlon.racechecklist.com/   well worth it.   Many items on the list will not be necessary but its a great tool.

Above all, go in with an open mind.  Do YOUR race, not anyone else's and you'll enjoy it so much more that way.  

Cheers and keep tri-ing!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HITS Triathlon Series: Naples - Sprint Course : Official Thread Rss Feed