General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transitioning to Minimalist Running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-24 11:37 AM

User image

Expert
CenTex
Subject: Transitioning to Minimalist Running

Without starting a debate on the best minimalist/BF shoe, I have a question about transitioning from a traditional shoe to minimalist to BF.  Is it best to go from a traditional shoe to a Nike Free (or equivalent), then to Five Fingers (or similar), or just make the plunge? 

I realize that you have to train your feet/body to the different running style and that this takes time but am more interested in the approach taken from those that have made the switch or thought about it/researched it.  I'm not sure that it is for me but am intrigued by the concept.

Thanks for your input.

2011-10-24 11:40 AM
in reply to: #3735851

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-10-24 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3735861

Expert
CenTex
Subject: RE: Transitioning to Minimalist Running
Thanks.  That's the route that I was thinking I would follow but wanted to tap the collective intelligence of BT.
2011-10-24 12:29 PM

Elite
Laguna Beach

"I'm not sure that it is for me but am intrigued by the concept."

Smile

Just keep an eye out for injuries and use common sense.

2011-10-24 12:35 PM

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
cornchexs - 2011-10-24 9:37 AM

Without starting a debate on the best minimalist/BF shoe, I have a question about transitioning from a traditional shoe to minimalist to BF.  Is it best to go from a traditional shoe to a Nike Free (or equivalent), then to Five Fingers (or similar), or just make the plunge? 

I realize that you have to train your feet/body to the different running style and that this takes time but am more interested in the approach taken from those that have made the switch or thought about it/researched it.  I'm not sure that it is for me but am intrigued by the concept.

Thanks for your input.

There's really almost two transitions to make on the way -- minimal drop, and minimal cushioning. Some people can make both transitions at the same time, others not so much.

For zero drop with cushion, there aren't a lot of choices out there -- Altra Instinct, GoLite AmpLite and ??? (don't remember the other model). If you go up to 4mm, then it opens up a lot -- the Brooks Pure line, NB Minimus, several offerings from Inov-8, Saucony Kinvara, Mirage, and Peregrine.

2011-10-24 12:40 PM

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

These type of shoes usually require a totally different footstrike. If you're the typical overstriding heel striker, you can start changing your footstrike to a forefoot/midfoot strike without changing shoes at all. It's the change in footstrike that requires attention and gradually easing into. Some of the minimalist shoes can help because they make it very uncomfortable to heel strike, but they're not necessary.

I changed my footstrike back in 2003, long before the minimalist shoe craze. I wore my regular shoes and adjusted my form. When I eventually used the minimalist shoes years later I was able to immediately run long distances in them as I was already running in that style. I still use a regular shoe as my main training shoe because I like the cushioning in the forefoot area. While I do also run in VFFs and Merrell Trail Gloves, I limit their use because I've found stepping on stones can be somewhat painful as these shoes have almost nothing to soften the blow. I have some XC racing flats that I prefer for many situations, but I don't train in them as they are not very durable. However, the flats are less expansive and lighter than many most minimalist shoes, plus they offer more protection from the ground.

2011-10-24 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3735956

Veteran
Taylorsville Ut
Donskiman - 2011-10-24 11:40 AM

These type of shoes usually require a totally different footstrike. If you're the typical overstriding heel striker, you can start changing your footstrike to a forefoot/midfoot strike without changing shoes at all. It's the change in footstrike that requires attention and gradually easing into. Some of the minimalist shoes can help because they make it very uncomfortable to heel strike, but they're not necessary.

This is what I have done and seen improvement without changing my shoe.

2011-10-24 7:25 PM

If you're motivated to get to BF, just go without shoes cold turkey and run only on pavement. Allow a year. Read this. I recommend Pose method; YMMV.
2011-10-24 8:36 PM

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
One other thing - going barefoot at home, and as close to barefoot as you can at all other times, is going to be a big help in making the transition.
2011-10-24 8:53 PM

Champion
MA

Why?

How old are you?

Older you are, longer it may take and the greater possibility of getting an injury.

My husband made the transition and he is 50. He would often run less than 10 minutes when he first started and he built up very very slowly. Now about 6 months later he can't run in regular shoes. He wears the NB Minimus Trail shoes but runs mostly on road.

2011-10-25 8:45 AM
in reply to: #3736700

Expert
CenTex
KathyG - 2011-10-24 8:53 PM

Why?  I have chronic knee issues and have found that when I run with a more forefoot strike I can run with significantly less pain and would like to move to a more natural running style.  I have been working on this for about a month and am making some progress.

How old are you?  47.  I realize that the transition can be long but it's better than not running at all, which is where I have been.

Older you are, longer it may take and the greater possibility of getting an injury.

My husband made the transition and he is 50. He would often run less than 10 minutes when he first started and he built up very very slowly. Now about 6 months later he can't run in regular shoes. He wears the NB Minimus Trail shoes but runs mostly on road.

2011-10-25 9:12 AM

Veteran
The transition was easy for me as I always experienced pain running the traditional way and rarely went more than a mile or two to begin with.  The midfoot strike also seemed very natural for me because I probably already did it with normal shoes to aleviate the pain.  I remember when I was in ROTC and had to run long distances, people would comment on my funny stride, but I basically did what I had to to minimize pain.  Maybe that was my body telling me something.  I now run in the Merrell Trailgloves and have increased my range with each run pain free.  I'm thinking of trying the Kinvara, but soles seem a little delicate for me.
2011-10-25 9:14 AM

Veteran
The transition was easy for me as I always experienced pain running the traditional way and rarely went more than a mile or two to begin with.  The midfoot strike also seemed very natural for me because I probably already did it with normal shoes to aleviate the pain.  I remember when I was in ROTC and had to run long distances, people would comment on my funny stride, but I basically did what I had to to minimize pain.  Maybe that was my body telling me something.  I now run in the Merrell Trailgloves and have increased my range with each run pain free.  I'm thinking of trying the Kinvara, but soles seem a little delicate for me.
2011-10-25 9:30 AM

I am minimalist runner-barefoot when possible.
I transitioned from cushioned to barefoot with no intermediate stages. My first question to you would be why are you interested in the change. If you are having no issues(recurring injuries and such) with your current running - I would stick with what is working. If you are coming back from an injury, I would recommend going completely barefoot or your desired end point(VFF). Take it extremely slowly as if you are just beginning to run. As some others have said, spend as much time as is reasonable out of shoes to really begin strengthening your feet.
2011-11-01 2:36 PM
in reply to: #3737142

Expert
CenTex

I took the leap and ordered a pair of Saucony Kinvara online.  (The original Kinvara is on sale for $68.00 on the Saucony web site.)  I had my first run in them today and I really enjoyed it.  I was a little skeptical when I put the shoes on as there is not much too them and I have historically worn some pretty bulky shoes.  Once I started running it was pretty great!  My knee pain was minimal and the only thing that I noticed was that I am out of shape.

I only ran about 2 miles and plan on building very slowly but so far, I'm all in.

2011-11-02 1:45 AM
in reply to: #3736700

Honolulu
KathyG - 2011-10-24 3:53 PM

Why?

How old are you?

I am over 50 too (will turn 55 in December).  I, too, wear NB Minimus Trail shoes for running on the road.  I've done 15.5 mile runs in these shoes as I train for my first marathon.  I did a 18.6 mile race a little over a week ago and I decided to use NB Minimus Road shoes because I thought I would need more shoe for longer runs.  While the road version of the minimus line fit very similar to the trail shoes, I just did not like the stiffer construction due to having more sole.  It didn't seem to allow my feet to naturally roll into place.  Instead, they forced my foot into place.  So I am back to using my NB Minimus Trails for longer runs.  I have never had a pair of shoes fit so well.  Its like wearing socks that have protection.  I like the flexibility of the shoe.  It has been a lot easier on my knees which I badly injured a couple years ago.  So I will have to see if I can keep on using minimalist trail shoes all the way to marathon distances.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transitioning to Minimalist Running Rss Feed