General Discussion Triathlon Talk » unfamailiar with off season trainning Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-25 10:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ft. mitchell ,al / columbus ga
Subject: unfamailiar with off season trainning

I have very unfamiliar with off season trainning for triathlons. this past year I competed in a few and would like to be more competive next year. next years goals are sprints and 1 or 2 oly. i'm naturally a strong swimmer, avg cyclist and weak runner as of right now.  

right now I run 10-15 miles per week. and try to get 3 hours of saddle time in. not worring about swimming until maybe january.  but besides do all 3 excersise. is there a strength / endurance off season program. that anyone recommends.  I was going to revert back to my bodybuilding routines but that would be counter productive as it adds a lot of mass and size.

any insight on how to train for this awsome sport would be helpful thanks.

2011-10-26 1:56 PM
in reply to: #3737327

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: RE: unfamailiar with off season trainning

I would focus on my weaknesses.

1.Improving your strength to weight ratio would help both your cycling and running. Maybe come up with a strength training program that will help with weight loss, better nutrition and with exercises that will help both with running and cycling. Maybe google off season strength program and customize a plan that fits your needs and preferences. This is what Im using along with P90x.

http://www.training4cyclists.com/12-week-strength-program-for-cyclists/

2. Next I would look into improving skills for both running and swimming. Several ideas would be to ride or run with a more advanced group to try to get better insight on skills, going to seminars or skills clinics, reading(lots)start with library and internet.

3.Look at current equipment and consider upgrades to improve weight or speed(mainly for cycling).

4. Add endurance to your cycling over the off season, 3 hours a week isnt much, for many group rides that is one ride.

These are some things I do in off season, also there is a ton of strength training info and articles here on BT, it is a very good source with videos also.

2011-10-26 2:08 PM

User image

Modesto, California
2011-10-26 2:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ft. mitchell ,al / columbus ga
thanks for the replies
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » unfamailiar with off season trainning Rss Feed