General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need advice on new running shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-25 2:44 PM

New user

Wellington
Subject: Need advice on new running shoes

I've never bought running shoes specifically to run.  I've only ever bought something to put in my feet and do whatever with.

Could someone give me some ideas as to which brands would be the best to look out for?  And perhaps some tips in picking the right sneak ...

Thanks.    

2011-10-25 2:47 PM
in reply to: #3737745

User image

Veteran
Riverdal NJ
Subject: RE: Need advice on new running shoes
Go to a store that specializes in running. They will measure your foot and watch you run then recomend a shoe for you. Trust me it makes a huge difference. Don't by shoes by how they look go for the right one for your feet.
2011-10-25 2:50 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City

Your best bet it to find a local running store and ask them to help get you started.  They'll most likely take some measurements and video you running barefoot on a treadmill to get an idea of your running style.  Based on that they can give recommendations on a few different shoes that would work for you.

2011-10-25 3:01 PM

User image

Runner
Pick the pair that is comfortable and feels good on your feet. Walk around in them, jog around the store in them. If you feel any rubbing, pinching, poking, prodding, give 'em back and try something else.
2011-10-25 4:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

I'm ready to catch heat for this but anyway....

By all means, start with a running specific shoe store. However, I would suggest trying on multiple brands and multiple models leaning toward the cheaper end. In running shoes, higher price does not mean better.

Walk around and even test them out on the in-store treadmill. You should not feel like you have to shift your foot around, and you should not feel any pinching.

I would not let them watch you walk and decide that you need $150 stability shoes with $60 inserts.

Start with one pair of shoes and a few pairs of quality running socks. Try them out for a few weeks. If you're anything like me, it will take time to figure out what works for you.

Edited by Aspiring 2011-10-25 4:03 PM
2011-10-25 4:07 PM
in reply to: #3737863

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Aspiring - 2011-10-25 4:02 PM

By all means, start with a running specific shoe store. However, I would suggest trying on multiple brands and multiple models leaning toward the cheaper end. In running shoes, higher price does not mean better.

Walk around and even test them out on the in-store treadmill. You should not feel like you have to shift your foot around, and you should not feel any pinching.

I would not let them watch you walk and decide that you need $150 stability shoes with $60 inserts.

Start with one pair of shoes and a few pairs of quality running socks. Try them out for a few weeks. If you're anything like me, it will take time to figure out what works for you.

I'm with you.

2011-10-25 4:10 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

I think I'm the sixth person to recommend a specialty run store as your first stop.

The best specialty run stores will do a gait analysis by watching you run on a treadmill and outside and may even use a diagnostic device to evaluate your foot type like New Balance does in their stores.

The local running experts will get you into shoes that are well suited for your running style and foot. I think you'll be impressed with the results.

Good  luck!  Smile

2011-10-25 4:13 PM

User image

Logan Ut

I have been to two shops in two different states and they both looked at my feet had me run on a track in the store.  They also had me try on four different pairs of shoes and had me decide which ones I like on my feet.  Also have them let you run outside around the parking lot for a few minutes this is also a good sign of a good running shop.

We have one shop that is over priced and wont let you walk more that ten feet in their shoes.  I haven't been back to that store.

2011-10-25 4:16 PM
in reply to: #3737863

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I have NEVER had this experience (Below).    Please start with a running store. If they recommend something like this, you can certainly ask for a second opinion.   If cost is a factor, tell them and they will reocmmend options in your price range.

One of many reasons to start with this is I would have never known I needed a half or full size up from my normal shoe.    I am very comfortable in my shoes and have never suffered a toenail issues, etc.    That was worth it for me.

Aspiring - 2011-10-25 4:02 PM

2011-10-25 5:15 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Generally running shoes are divided in to various categories. The categories relate to a person's physiology and gait pattern. Most running shoes fall into two categories - neutral and stability. There are other categories, but mostly they are subsets of these two.

Generally neutral shoes are for people with normal to high arches, who tend to wear their shoes evenly. Stability shoes are for people with lower arches toward flat feet who tend to overpronate and wear their shoes along the inside. Most people will match up with this, but a small percentage will be outliers. Neutral shoes tend to be more cushioned and the more cushioning a shoe has, generally the more expensive it is. Stability comes in several flavors. I call them mild, moderate, and maximum. Which kind a person needs depends on how much they overpronate.

Almost all major brands of shoes carry something in neutral/cushioned and stability in the various flavors. Once a person narrows down the type of shoe they should use, try on some across several brands to find the one that fits best.

Finding your arch type is as simple as using a small card. Take your shoes and socks off, stand with your feet should width apart. Have a person place the card on the floor so it's standing up and perpendicular to your ankle. Slide the card toward the ankle bone. If the card touches the ankle bone, you are most likely neutral. If the card comes in contact with your foot before it touches the ankle bone, you most likely need stability. The further away from the ankle bone, the more stability.

Lots of people are in the moderate stabilty area and the most popular shoes are the Brooks Adrenaline, Asics 2160 (or anything in the 21xx line), Saucony Guide, Nike Lunarglide, and others. Popular neutral shoes include Nike Pegasus, Asics Nimbus, Asics Cumulus, Brooks Ghost, Mizuno Wave Rider, and others.

The above are all standard shoes that typically have a 12 mm heel to toe drop. There are lots of other shoes that feature lighter weight and less heel to toe drop.

As you can see, there is far more to getting proper running shoes than picking a brand and/or a color. As others have mentioned your best bet is to go to a store where they will take the time to get you into the correct shoe for your own needs.

2011-10-25 5:21 PM

New user
Can anyone recommend a running store in/around LA? 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need advice on new running shoes Rss Feed