General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie Ironman vs Ostseeman Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-26 9:29 AM

Subject: Newbie Ironman vs Ostseeman

Hi,

as recommended I introduce myself here and also take that opportunity to ask a few questions.

I am completely new to triathlon, yet have a strong athletic background with weekly training of up to 20-25hours. I'm a 21 year old student, so I have plenty of time to train, although I know that quality is as important as quantity.

I signed up for the Ostseeman in Germany next year, which is an ironman distance triathlon, the only one in Germany with the swim in the open sea. That also leads to my first question, do people in the triathlon/ironman community care whether you have done a proper Ironman or just an Ironman distance triathlon in order to be allowed to call yourself an Ironman?

For preparation I've only been able to fit one sprint and one 3km swim event (that luckily is also where the ironman swim takes place) into my calendar. I've been looking at some HIM-distance triathlons that are all 4-5 weeks out of my main event andI wonder if I  should do one or not, considering that it would disrupt my training (or is racing the best way of training?). I figure training sessions simulating parts of the race will be enough to tell me what I will be able to do on race day (while also saving a lot of money).

Btw, if anyone is in Hong Kong during Jan.-May 2012 and looking for a training buddy, let me know. Joining clubs in Hong Kong is quite expensive and I do not have a lot of money, yet it would be fun to meet some similiar minded people every now and then.

Cheers,

Max

2011-10-26 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3738645

Veteran
Subject: RE: Newbie Ironman vs Ostseeman

First up, welcome!

All the "Ironmen" I know don't call themselves one.  You just say that you've completed the distance; it doesn't matter if you've done one corperate event over another.  Though I will say that WTC puts on an "experience" that isn't found at all races.

I would be comfortable doing a half 4-5 weeks out as long as I was capable of holding back and not racing it.  If you treat it as a giant brick workout you shoudn't trash your body.  Perhaps you should post this question in the Iron Distance sub-forum and see what some of the others say.

2011-10-28 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3738645

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Newbie Ironman vs Ostseeman
Tysk-Ironwill - 2011-10-26 9:29 AM

Hi,

as recommended I introduce myself here and also take that opportunity to ask a few questions.

I am completely new to triathlon, yet have a strong athletic background with weekly training of up to 20-25hours. I'm a 21 year old student, so I have plenty of time to train, although I know that quality is as important as quantity.

I signed up for the Ostseeman in Germany next year, which is an ironman distance triathlon, the only one in Germany with the swim in the open sea. That also leads to my first question, do people in the triathlon/ironman community care whether you have done a proper Ironman or just an Ironman distance triathlon in order to be allowed to call yourself an Ironman?

For preparation I've only been able to fit one sprint and one 3km swim event (that luckily is also where the ironman swim takes place) into my calendar. I've been looking at some HIM-distance triathlons that are all 4-5 weeks out of my main event andI wonder if I  should do one or not, considering that it would disrupt my training (or is racing the best way of training?). I figure training sessions simulating parts of the race will be enough to tell me what I will be able to do on race day (while also saving a lot of money).

Btw, if anyone is in Hong Kong during Jan.-May 2012 and looking for a training buddy, let me know. Joining clubs in Hong Kong is quite expensive and I do not have a lot of money, yet it would be fun to meet some similiar minded people every now and then.

Cheers,

Max

Welcome to BT!

In response to your questions:
1). "do people in the triathlon/ironman community care whether you have done a proper Ironman or just an Ironman distance triathlon in order to be allowed to call yourself an Ironman?"
The term "Ironman" is a branded name by WTC.  The distance is 140.6.  It shouldn't matter to you or anyone if you completed a 140.6 distance.  There will be some people that attribute "Ironman" as the only 140.6 distance race - in my eyes, that's their problem.
An "Ironman" branded race has its perks, though, with it being VERY well run - they treat you well.  On the downside, they monopolize what is offered during the race and the price is quite expensive.  Just remember, you get what you pay for. (Note:  I have completed two IMs).

2). Incorporating a HIM into your training is good, and should be considered.  However, it should be at least 2 months out from your "A" race (the 140.6 race).  Find a plan that you can use which may incorporate a HIM in it.

Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie Ironman vs Ostseeman Rss Feed