General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pinched Nerve...? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-26 9:29 AM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
Subject: Pinched Nerve...?

Is there a doctor in the house?

After my run/walk the other night, I think I slept funny.  I have a pain between the base of my neck and my shoulder blade.  I've tried stretching rolling my head around, laying on a tennis ball etc.  It doesn't seem to be working.

Now when I'm sitting my right arm keeps going numb.  Are there any home remedies???

2011-10-26 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3738648

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Pinched Nerve...?
Go to a doctor.
2011-10-26 9:48 AM

User image

Elite

I had these symptoms.  Very likely, you have a nerve problem in your cervical vertebrae.  It may get better with physical therapy.  My insurance required PT before they would authorize even an MRI.  After therapy didn't work, an MRI was done and I got a diagnosis of extreme narrowing of the foramen of the vertebrae.  It was bone spurs in the foramen which were digging into the nerve.  I had the disks at C4-C5 and C5-C6 removed and the vertebrae fused.  I have permanent nerve damage which might be attributable to delay in the surgery so don't delay in getting it looked at.  The delays were partly the insurance company's fault for insisting on 6 weeks of PT, partly the doctor's office for losing the MRI results and not reading them, and partly mine for delaying the surgery for 4 weeks until after Christmas.  My first symptoms were in August 2008.  Surgery was in January 2009.  By then, the nerve damage was permanent.

If you have a bulging disk you may be able to get it to reduce with therapy.  I had a traction device which pulled on my head to decompress the neck.  It helped a bit but in my case the calcium deposits were not going away.

TW 

2011-10-26 9:53 AM

User image

Champion

I was fine with the pinched nerve concept and trying to work it out yourself ----- until I got to "my right arm keeps going numb". While I'm not saying that you are in dire straits, numbness is never good and should at least be checked by a doctor.

I too have had the neck/shoulderblade pain (ache) you describe, but never the associated numbness. I've had numbness elsewhere (lower medial calf) once, and it was never clear what caused it, and eventually a few rounds of physio got it better.....and it sure is unsettling while it's there!

Let us know how it resolves itself.

2011-10-26 9:54 AM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka

Great info,  I recently got checked for a hernia because I was experiencing pain "Down There" in the typical hernia place.  (I do not have a hernia).  I was talking to a Physicians assistant who assists on spinal surgeries (At a party, I didn't go to the doctor).  he said a compressed disc could show up as this sort of pain.  Now it seems to have moved up to where it currently is, and the pain "Down there" seems to have gone away.

I'll go to the Doc.  Thank you!

2011-10-26 12:05 PM
in reply to: #3738699

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

stevebradley - 2011-10-26 10:53 AM I was fine with the pinched nerve concept and trying to work it out yourself ----- until I got to "my right arm keeps going numb". While I'm not saying that you are in dire straits, numbness is never good and should at least be checked by a doctor. I too have had the neck/shoulderblade pain (ache) you describe, but never the associated numbness. I've had numbness elsewhere (lower medial calf) once, and it was never clear what caused it, and eventually a few rounds of physio got it better.....and it sure is unsettling while it's there! Let us know how it resolves itself.

That was my thought process too.

2011-10-26 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3738954

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I think getting checked out never hurts, but I can tell you that I have had this exact problem.  I am good at tweaking my neck or sleeping wrong and often have some kind of neck problem.  About 3 years ago my right arm, especially right pinky and ring finger, could go numb.   My shoulder also hurt, but I felt the numbness was most alarming. 

I asked first at the chiropractor (I can give you a good referral).   He did a lot of stretching and prodding along the line of my neck and upper shoulder and the numbness gradually stopped happening.

It was accompanied by shoulder pain and so I visited the sports doctor because the pain continued periodically.  She did an xray.  Turned out I have something like spur in my shoulder which pinches things.   It's not a big deal and would be treated with PT before worrying about anything more drastic.   I wasn't very good at doing PT but I do certain stretches and it's mostly fine.  I gave up racquetball, which makes me sad.  

In your case, it will probably go away and it works itself out.    I assume you can make the numbness go away by changing your position?  If so, I'd keep moving and see how it goes for a few days.  If it stays numb, I'd visit the doc.  Let me know if you want the chiropractor referral.

2011-10-26 2:44 PM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
Thanks Bikergirl.  It just so happened that we were having a benefits fair type of thing here at my work today.  I jus spoke with a chiropractor and will be seeing her tomorrow morning...
2011-10-26 3:46 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Go see a Chiro.

If I sleep wrong or tweak myself out I've had my arm fall asleep while swimming!

A couple of snap crackle pops from the chiro and I was just fine.

2011-10-26 6:09 PM

User image

Master

I'd go get that checked. I had an issue with a pinched nerve in my neck that caused severe pain in my neck, shoulder, & left arm. Also had numbness in my left hand, especially a couple of the fingers. It was discovered through xrays. It took a month and a half of adjustments through a chiro to fix it. I'm so thankful I went in to see him. I had never been in so much pain for so long. Well, if you don't include labor and delivery.

Go get it checked!

2011-10-27 9:00 AM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka

Well, the pain and numbness got bad by the end of the work day, so I went to a doctor.  Long story short, they did a quick exam and prescribed a cycle of Prednezone (sp?) and physical therapy, then an MRI if that doesn't work.  Nothing for the pain.

I went to the PT department, and they can't get me in for two weeks!  I think this is too long.  I also called and got some pain meds too.  

Does anyone know the PT stretches, traction etc for this?  Maybe I can start early..

2011-10-27 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3740234

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Are you going to see the chiropractor?  I would start with that.
2011-10-27 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3740234

User image

Fort Walton Beach
I had something similar. Pinched nerve due to bone spur between c6 and c7.  I was seeing a chiro that did some pretty harsh neck adjustments. Those made it worse. My GP sent me to PT. No help.  My shoulder hurt, my tricep was spasming, my left fingers were numb and it got worse when I used a computer, drove, rode etc...   I ended up seeing an Ortho  that is a cyclist and runner also. He did an XRay followed by an MRI. He then prescribed a course of Prednisone. We also talked about postural changes that helped tremendously.  I could actually stop the spasms by fixing my posture!  The Prednisone wiped out the pain within a few days. It did, however, make me completely hyper after the first week.  I could not sleep at all. Fixing the pain was worth it though.  Now I am more careful with my posture and I know what sorts of things really irritate my neck.  No flair ups since. I also have a new chiro that listens to me and does a more subtle adjustment.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pinched Nerve...? Rss Feed