General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dr. Visit - When? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-01 4:33 PM

Subject: Dr. Visit - When?

Hello! I'm pretty new, and I'm curious about how to tell when I should seek professional help with a sore knee. I've been swimming heavily for a few years now, added in running six months ago, and added biking two months ago. I'm trying to start out easy, but I really enjoy my workouts!

My knee began hurting about a week ago. While I'm still mobile, my knee feels like an overstretched rubberband. I've cancelled all workouts (except one swim - I was going stir crazy!) since then, but it doesn't seem to be improving. Is it time to bite the bullet and see a doctor? At what point should I give up on the restorative benefits of taking a break?

Also, my first 5k is in 16 days. I'd love to be able to race it, but don't want to risk serious injury.

Thank you for any advice!

2011-11-01 10:07 PM
in reply to: #3747774

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Dr. Visit - When?

I started running last Sept and developed an intense knee "pain" that felt like I was hyperextending my knee.  I stopped running and it got better, went off for some backpacking and then started running again when we returned in March - so far - no more pain.

If your problem is worsening I'd see an MD.  If it is improving it is less urgent but probably still a good idea to see him/her anyway.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dr. Visit - When? Rss Feed