General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Adjustments for Back Pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-26 8:59 AM

New user

Apopka, FL
Subject: Bike Adjustments for Back Pain
I just bought a bike and have ridden twice. Each time I ride, I end up with horrendous back pain for two days following. It doesn't hurt during the ride and I always stretch before and after. I'm guessing I need to adjust something on my bike, but don't know where to start. Hopefully someone has some suggestions for me! I really don't want to stop riding, but the pain is just too much.

2005-09-26 9:23 AM
in reply to: #253380

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Bike Adjustments for Back Pain

Sheri,

Back problems on bike typically come from two things...1)Improper Fit or 2) New to cycling and not conditioned.  Since you've already been cycling a while I'll assume the fit is the problem.  I'll have to assume your bike is set up properly for you, meaning the ball of your foot is over the pedal spindle, your knee is directly plumb with your pedal axle when at the 3 & 9 position, your leg is almost straight when your heal is on the spindle at the 6 & 12 and your saddle is level and no more than an inch above the handlebars.  This being said, the most common cause of lower back pain is "reach".  It is possible that you're reaching too far.  One way (although not exact) to check your reach is to sit on your bike just like you ride.  Look down at the hub of your front wheel.  If the hub is obstructed by the handlebar then your reach is about perfect.  If there is a several inch gap between your handlebar and the hub (your hub will be behind the handlebar) then you might be reaching too far.  One way to fix this is to get a shorter stem if that's possible.

I also assumed you were referring to a road bike.  A mountain bike's geometry is different.  I guess a shorter answer to your question is that most likely you are reaching too far and this is causing your back pain.  I'm sure there's others here that have some tips? 

If you have any other details on your bike fit post them or email me and maybe I can offer a little more advise.

-Michael

2005-09-26 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Did you get fitted when you got the bike?  If so, it could be that the pain is from not having enough strength in the core muscles.  Sometimes it takes awhile for the muscles to adjust to new exercise.  
2005-09-26 9:26 AM

User image

Elite

One other thing I should mention.  If you discover that your reach is too far, don't make adjustments on your saddle fore & aft to solve this problem.  This will throw your knee alignment off, which may lead to knee problems.  Again, this is assuming you're fit properly to height and fore-aft position.

-Michael

2005-09-26 9:37 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I agree with oipolloi about reach.  Your cockpit size could be too short or too long, depending on your body type.  I, for instance, have a long torso and therefore need a longer, 130mm, stem.  Your best option is to get fitted at a reputable bike shop ... it takes the guesswork out of it.  Good luck.
2005-09-26 12:27 PM

New user

Apopka, FL
I did get fitted at the bike shop. It's a Cannondale Hybrid bike. It feels great when I am riding, feel like my feet are in the right position and legs are good too. I do feel like I'm reaching though so I'll check that out first. I can adjust the handlebars up/down etc and will try that next time I ride.

I do have a weak core as well. I'm very new to all of this so I have a long way to go! Thanks for the advice.

2005-09-26 12:29 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
It's probably worth it to spend the $$ on a professional bike fit to avoid both pain and future injury from misuse or overuse.

are you a boy or a girl? Men & women have different porportions in general of torso length and arm length. Women are generally more comfortable with a higher handlebar height relative to the saddle than men are. My handlebar is 1" above the seat, but I still have a fairly "aero" position for a beginner on my road bike fit.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Adjustments for Back Pain Rss Feed