Race Productions
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 06m 2s
Overall Rank = 310/318
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 11/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am, put few last things in car and drove 2 hours (thought it was slightly closer) to the venue. One of my favorite pre-race things, is finding other triathletes on the road and as we got closer and closer there were 5-6 tri cars in front of us. I waited in a long line to register. This part of the race was not done well. Finally get to front of the line and they couldn't find me. I mailed my registration in early in the week and walk in registration was closed. Race director told me to fill out form and gave me a number. I did get a t-shirt, picked up chip, got body marked. Finally was able to use the bathroom. As I got to transtion, finally bumped into all the BTers!! It was great to see everyone...Max, Joanne, Glen, Rob & his wife, and Mark. Max gave me a BT on my left calf. Race was going to start late due to the long registration number. Set up my transition area, but very tight since it was an open rack.
Event warmup:

No time to do pre-race warm up of 10' run, 10' bike and about 10' swim. I took my wetsuit bag and walked down to the start with Kevin, Libby and Joanne. After talking with lots of people understood how the swim course was set up.

I had been sick Wed-Saturday and was still shaking off a cold. I know this effected my race.

There were a total of 350 times in the splits including the relays..so my placement looks odd. I placed 348/350 swim, 297/350 bike, 344/350 on the run....but overall 310/318.
Swim
  • 26m 17s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Goal time:20-22 minutes

This was my longest open water swim in the ocean..which is tough for me.

As I waited for wave five to start the water was getting more and more rough. Didn't dwell on it...jut noticed it. It was great to wait at the start with Joanne who helped me with chit chat and talking strategy as we waited. It kept my mind from wandering into negative thoughts. We saw Rob come in on the swim...cool he was in wave 1...must of had about a 15 minute swim.

I was trying to be a racer not a tourist someone who stops and looks around. I swam for maybe a couple minutes and looked up and everyone but two were gone. I pushed all negative thoughts out of my mind and kept on going. The waves were difficult, but breathing on the right kept them out of my mouth. I started counting stroke cycles...every right I would count. I made it to 30 and stopped looked up and kept on going. This counting was working well. Made it to the first bouy and two were about 20 yds in front of me and one was from the wave before. Swam out directly into the waves and tried to catch them....kept counting and was doing okay. Waves made it difficult and I did get water up my nose and mouth a couple times on this leg. Around the last bouy...and going back with the waves. Started counting stroke cylces and made it to 100 and started over again without stopping...major victory!! Lost the two in front of me...watched for the kayaks. But swam all the way home and felt great about it. It was fun riding with the waves and I tried to reach and glide. Ah the joy of being last out of the water...get lots of cheers and all the race officials breath a sigh of relief....safe swim.

I was able to high five Libby on the long run uphill to where timing mat was...took me about 1:30 minutes so swim time was really somewhat faster. Swim time off HRM 24:49
What would you do differently?:

I need to continue to learn to swim faster and breath bilaterally. Today I did the best I could and I felt I made great strides in ows especially in the ocean.

I find it strange that I swim so much faster in the pool than in ows in races. Not sure why?
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

I was 192 out of 350 in T1...MOP baby...nice to know I'm average on something!!

In looking at race times most of the people finishing in bottom 10% of race have very high T1 and T2 and often that is how I beat many of them...not out on the course, but faster transitons and I find great joy in being good at something relative to my group that I compete against.

I was late racking my bike and I knew I was in the wrong gear, but no time to ride it. I should have lifted rear tire and changed gears...but didn't think of that. I had hard time clipping in on the bike. As I rode out onto the course enjoyed talking with the crowd and told them I was last out of the water but I wouldn't be last back to transtion.

Start in the right gear, get to race course earlier so I could be more ready.
Bike
  • 48m
  • 13.5 miles
  • 16.88 mile/hr
Comments:

Goal 47-49 minutes

So glad to be on the bike. I pushed to hard first and it was nice to see others on the bike. I was doing well with keeping my cadence up. At about 4 miles my legs were getting tired. I think it was the first effects of being sick before the race. Slowed down and kept cadence. Great spectators along the course cheering everyone on. I enjoyed catching and passing bikers as I went around the course. Not to many mountain bikes in this race and lots of young people...saw college teams. At one point the fast women kept passing me...but they were all under 30...it was great to see such awesome women atheletes....and to be able to stay with them for a time. I didn't see any BTers on the course.

Put more water in my aerobar water bottle. Not start so fast but keep it easy first 3-4 miles which was in my plan but I didn't do it. Get stronger in my legs so I can climb hills better.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Glad to be back in transtion and I passed many people on the bike which I enjoy. Goofing with the crowd just prior to going over timing mat and dropped my bike....not a very smart move. Ended up hurting my foot even though I didn't know it at the time.

The crowded transtion area made it harder to get sock/shoes on and pick up and go...had to much in my hands with my had, two small water bottles, and race belt .so I stopped to get my race belt on....lost time here...but does 15 second really matter?

Hold onto my bike better.
Run
  • 48m 59s
  • 4 miles
  • 12m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Goal 44-46 minutes

My hope was that my run time min/mile would improve over my last couple tris as my training run times have been improving. This was a longer run than normal sprints.

About 5 minutes into the run I saw Max coming back to the finish...ran across the road to give him a high five!! I thought I saw Joanne, but it was someone else.

Run seemed very long...played mental game...don't look at HRM...don't think about how much longer I have to go. Know when I get to 22 minutes I'll be about half way.

I was passed by about 4 people in the first 3/4 of a mile...and then by no one...wondered if I was last, but knew a couple people I passed on the bike hadn't passed me yet. I just was off and didn't run well. I think the cold I got earlier in the week and tried to shake off effected me. My HR was lower than normal on the sprint, but my body didn't want to go any faster. I did walk up 3 short hills.

Ended up with a blister on my left toe. I seem to get blisters at every tri but never when I train. Why?

There were a group of HS girls cheering about .25 of a mile from the finish. As I came up to make the turn into the finish area, I saw my husband and daughter and all the BTers cheering me on. Wow...what motivation to run faster...I high fived them all....Kevin, Libby, Glen, Max, Joanne, Rob, Mark and some people I didn't know. Joanne ran around the corner and ran beside me to the finish. It was the best...so encouraging, so motivating and it was a fantastic way to finish the race and season!!! BTers are fabulous!!!

I'm not sure if I need a more competitive spirit or something? This off season I will be working on building my base so hopefully I will be running faster on my tris next season. I am working hard to lose the last 30 pounds of my goal of 100 and I hope that will help me be able to run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked with all the BTers, Kevin and Libby, and took some pictures. My f-i-l came with his wife and they were in the facilities as I crossed the finish line. Ate some cookies, chatted with everyone and had to leave as my relatives were cold and have medical issues. It was great fun to see everyone...who we had seen most of at Cranberry the month before. I look forward to a fun '06 seeing everyone again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The normal...being overweight, 43, slow, not competitive enough, sick during the week.

I did feel a bit disappointed that my times hadn't really improved since July. I'm dawg slow so it should be easy to get better. I train hard and put the hours in, not sure why I'm not improving during races.

Best Part of the race for me was mentally I did so much better than last race. I kept positive, embraced the situation, accepted how I was doing, and enjoyed the race...which were all goals for the tri. I even figured I had more fun per dollar of my entrance fee than most people since I was on the course longer.

Event comments:

Fun race to do! Great to do with other BTers!! Competitive group of triathletes and lots of under 30 competitors.

Last updated: 2005-09-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:17 | 880 yards | 02m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 348/318
Performance: Good
Max HR 148, avg HR 142
Suit: Promotion
Course: Was sort of a diamond that was tilted to the right. Tide was about 1/3 way out...High tide was 5:29 and low tide was 11:24. The coming to shore part of the diamond was more like a straight line. Waves were coming in from left to right slightly.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:46
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:48:00 | 13.5 miles | 16.88 mile/hr
Overall: 297/318
Performance: Average
Max HR 164, Avg HR 156
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops along the shore, by a golf course, through a residential neighborhood. It was beautiful!!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:48:59 | 04 miles | 12m 15s  min/mile
Overall: 344/318
Performance: Below average
Max HR 178, avg HR 157
Course: Out and around the neighborhood that is like a point on the shore. It was so scenic and beautiful. Lots of twists and turns but was well marked...was deceptive at times to know if you were ahead or behind people.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-09-26 10:48 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: Hammerfest Triathlon

2005-09-26 11:01 AM
in reply to: #253515

Pro
Andover
Subject: RE: Hammerfest Triathlon
"made it to 100 and started over again without stopping" WOO HOO!!!

"I need to continue to learn to swim faster and breath bilaterally." If you learn to bi-lat-breath, you will swim faster.

"Today I did the best I could and I felt I made great strides in ows especially in the ocean." Kathy, you did AWESOME! Not only did you have to combat your desire to "lollygag" , you had to swim in some tough conditions. As soon as I got in the water and took 2 strokes I thought to myself, "Kathy is not going to like this." But, you handled it well and will be better for it in the long run.

Nice work out there and I say again, that was one impressive push you had at the end!
2005-09-26 11:03 AM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Way to go, Kathy!!!!!!  You toughed out the swim and are stronger for it!!!!  "Just do it!!" should be your motto.

Your "t" times are great and kicked it on the bike!!  very cool.

You looked so strong coming up the last  hill to the finish!! So much fun to high five ya, also got your pic and will post when I get it developed.

Enjoy the post race smiles.
2005-09-26 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
WOOHHOO  Seems like you beat some demons on the swim!!! I'm not getting faster either if it makes you feel any better.  Your endurance is really improving.  Now we both have bum ankles  UGH.  take care -SMO
2005-09-26 11:19 AM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut

Kathy,
   Great race, way to perservere in the swim, sounds like there were tough conditions out there.

Congrats!!!!!

2005-09-26 11:35 AM

Expert
Great job Kathy, it was a real pleasure to meet you. That was a really brutal swim and I know I am mentally tougher than before so you will be as well. Racing fast (not that I am fast) is a confidence thing as well as a physical thing. Just keep pushing and be patient and it will all come together. I didn't reaize you had lost that much weight so what you have accomplished is amazing already. Great to see you and I am sure I will see you at future events.

Mark

2005-09-26 2:57 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
KATHY HAMMERED HAMMERFEST!!!!
You are a great bluffer- made me feel at the swim like it was a piece of cake, girl! YOu looked like such a pro! I am impressed how you set such specific goals for each segment- and look how you are achieving them- ! Let's keep on going !
2005-09-26 5:14 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

You may be a MOP in the T1 and T2. You may be a BOP over all, but to only need 30 lbs on the 100 puts you in front of all the couch potatos and Monday morning quarterbacks that wish they could go that far. Bottom line is you are doing it and getting better will come.

To set some goals consider looking over your AG competitors and figure out how much time in each group you need to shave to get ahead of just one. At Cranberry, I only needed 30 sec overall to move up one postion, but beat 2 by less than 10 so it gave me perspective.

Keep up the great work and I look foward to seeing you again in 06

2005-09-26 5:37 PM

Elite Veteran
Congrats, Kathy. Sounds like you had a great end-of-season race.

I've never had a tri swim in the ocean but I'm moving to northern VA this winter. You're going to have to give me advice about waves, wet suits, and salt water.

Your family must be so proud of you.
2005-09-26 6:01 PM

Champion
Hey you did great! The swim was tough, for me too! All during the swim I kept thinking, "Man this is not easy, I hope Kathy doesn't get discouraged." All during the day even when I was on the bike and run I kept saying to myself "I hope she just keeps going." Then when I saw you running right before the end, that was the coolest moment. You looked way too happy, and I knew you'd finish. We just had to go around the corner and cheer you in! Congrats on a good race, it wasn't the easiest one to do!
2005-09-27 9:07 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2005-09-27 5:01 PM

molto veloce mama
fabulous job meeting your goals, kathy!
2005-09-29 8:14 AM

Master