General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Restarting question (post-race, post-injury) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-27 10:38 AM

User image

Subject: Restarting question (post-race, post-injury)
I completed my first sprint two and a half weeks ago, and I'm excited to do more next season. Two weeks before the race I started getting pretty severe foot pain. I stopped running until race day, and I'm feeling better now.

I went to the podiatrist, I'm getting orthotics to hopefull fix the problem, and I'd like to get started again soon.

Question: how do I start the running again? I don't want to do too much so as to avoid another injury, yet 3-4 weeks of walking might drive me a little bonkers. I clearly have a base after my previous several months of training, so a Couch-to program might not be the answer.

I know that a 10% weekly increase is a good thing, but what's 10% of nothing?

2005-09-27 1:14 PM
in reply to: #254383

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Restarting question (post-race, post-injury)

The only suggestions I can offer are the obvious.  Stay away from running hills, slow your pace and concentrate on your heel strike.  Maybe you can put  alittle more time on your bike.  Isn't it Hal Higdon who states that you can train for a marathon by putting in miles on a bike. 

Good luck! 

-Michael

2005-09-28 9:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio

I feel your pain (literally).  I just came from the podiatrist yesterday and got a big nasty cortizone shot in my heel.  For some reason I can run for hours with only mild discomfort, but 90 minutes of soccer caused my plantar fasciitis to flare like mad.

I've had orthotics for about 8 years now.  I used to wear them all the time, but then switched podiatrists and he said that the goal is to have my feet in good enough shape that I only need them for exercise of a really hard day on my feet.  My feet have been good enough that I just leave them in my running shoes.  If you wear women's shoes, it's pretty limiting to find shoes that work with orthotics.

I also checked with my podiatrist about running shoe recommendations.  The classic advice about arch shape and foot strike are different if you're running with orthotics.  In my case, I naturally over-pronate so I would want a stability shoe.  However, the orthotics force my foot into a neutral strike.  I brought my worn shoes into the podiatrist and he showed me what to look for in new shoes and recommended Asics as his preferred brand.  With his advice I felt comfortable enough to order my new shoes online and saved about $30 over what I would have paid in the local shop.

Good luck with your feet...if they don't feel like they're getting tons better, keep going back.  There's lots they can do for you. 

Sore feet suck.

Debi

2005-09-28 9:59 AM

User image

I appreciate the advice. After doing some more reading and thinking, I think a very slow start is a good thing - another injury would be stupid if I'm only gearing up quickly because of impatience. I have many months until the new season starts, so I will be smart about it.

On a personal note, I hate having feet problems. I hate that my physiology can hold me back. I will hopefully get it fixed so that I can continue to try bigger events.

And another personal note - I wish I could change my screen name. It's supposed to be like Hercules and RJ combined, but now 2 people have assumed I'm a girl. ) Maybe an avatar will help!
2005-09-28 11:40 AM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
I would definitely get my running form looked at by a running coach which could have precipitated the injury...podiatrist always seem to arrive at the conclusion of orthotics, it's how they make money and of course, few have perfect alignment and can benefit some from adjustment. My belief is that the dominant culprit behind running injury is technique.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Restarting question (post-race, post-injury) Rss Feed