General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training for downhill in flatland - help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-28 8:53 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Subject: training for downhill in flatland - help
In December I will be running over a very tall bridge...actually over and back. I live in flatland, so the only "hills" we have are overpasses and bridges that are not really all that safe for running. Training on the big bridge is possible but only every alternate Wednesday at 6am with a group that goes much faster than I do. In other words, it ain't happenin, or certainly not more than once.

I'm not overly worried about the uphill training, since I can sort of mimic it on the treadmill and at least strengthen those muscles. What does have me worried is downhill -- how do I train so that I don't injure myself while hurtling down the bridge in Dec?

2005-09-28 9:01 AM
in reply to: #255202

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
Subject: RE: training for downhill in flatland - help

Look for hilly neighborhoods.  I did a tri in Temple Terrace that had hills. man!  There's a running group in Brandon that does hill work in a neighborhood with hills that I have yet to been to (those days are usually busy for me doing family stuff).   When you drive around town, keep an eye out. 

You could also do the Friendship Trailbridge.   Are there any closed off bridges in your area or bridges with walks you could go run over? 

sorry, can't remember where ya are in FL.  I think it was Sarasota? 

Hey, where is this run anyways? Is it in Jacksonville?  I remember hearing about a Bridge Run up there somewheres. 

2005-09-28 9:19 AM
in reply to: #255210

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Actually, I'm in Savannah GA so no hilly neighbourhoods, seriously. The biggest non-bridge hill around here is the cobblestone ramp down to River Street...and if I tried to run on that I would hurt myself...it just baffles me how so many drunks can go up and down that stuff and not break bones every weekend.

Doing the Enmark Savannah Bridge Run, the toughest in the southeast (according to them). Naturally, I signed up for the 10K version (over and back) and not 5K (over once) like a sensible person. And the other day I woke up and realised that it's just not that far off....and after my early summer hamstring injury I am seriously paranoid.
2005-09-28 9:25 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Parking garages. We use them all the time for training, actually have a planned 10-mile route here that includes four parking garages, commonly referred to as the Ten-mile Death Run.

Most high-rise garages around here, especially downtown,  are empty on weekends and evenings.

If those aren't accessible to you, look for football stadiums.

2005-09-28 9:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Ohio
I live in northwest Ohio where it is FLAT FLAT FLAT. And I SUFFERED the first time that I did a hilly 10-mile run in another state. So---after that, started going to the local high school and running the football stadium stairs. I understand what you mean---going up is fine, coming down is scary (but at the stadium there are hand rails). The next year when I did the same 10-mile race, it was a breeze (relatively speaking) ---and then I did the Crim in Flint and kept hearing about the "Bradley Hills" and how horrible they were. When we got to the top, I was like "That was it?" So the stadium stairs DEFINITELY helped a lot. I would recommend running the stadium steps 2-3 times per week.
2005-09-28 9:34 AM

User image

Elite

I don't have any suggestions on where to train, but I can offer this.  Most stress fractures and knee injuries come from running downhill, or so I've heard.  I've also heard that shortening your stride and leaning your torso forward help prevent some of these problems.  Good luck!

-Michael

2005-09-28 9:40 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Bear - Parking garages! Of course! You had mentioned it for biking uphill too but I had totally forgotten. That is definitely an option, we have a bunch of those and they do clear out on weekends.

Does running down steps help with running down hills? I figured it wouldn't becuase the motion is different. Thanks, Bettylou, that gives me some other options...I guess it would definitely help uphill and cardio, and sounds more fun than the stuipd treadmill.

I too have heard that most running injuries occur with downhills, especially hamstring tears. *shudder*

Thanks ya'll!! Great suggestions.

Edited by madeye 2005-09-28 9:41 AM
2005-09-28 11:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Stadium steps up and down?
2005-09-29 5:36 AM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Isn't it possible to park on the Hutchinson Island side and do the bridge from that direction. Some friends were recently preparing for a century ride that started in Sav and they would drive over in early am and do the bridge on their bikes. Check to see if it's possible for the run.
BTW where do I get info for this race? I can barely drive over the Talmidge, can't imagine running it, but you never know.
2005-09-29 6:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Madeye, I don't know if this will help, but I live in Brunswick and there are great places to train down here.  It would be a one hour drive for you but it would at least be somewhere to train.

You have two options here.  First is the St Simons Causeway.  It has tons of bikers and runners/walkers with a dedicated multiuse path.  The people that drive the causeway are accustomed to looking out for folks.  On the weekend there are lots of people going both directions.  It is a series of four medium sized bridges.

The other option is the Jekyll (Sidney Lanier) Bridge.  To the top of the bridge is .75 mile at about a 6% grade.  It is a monster of a bridge!  On the weekend there are lots of bikers, walkers/runners.

Like I said it would be about an hour straight down I-95.  Let me know if you need more details.  Good luck finding somewhere.  There really are so few options for those of us who live ine the really flatlands.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training for downhill in flatland - help Rss Feed