General Discussion Race Reports! » Sportshoe Center Marathon / Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sportshoe Center Marathon / Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log
Portland, Maine
United States
Sportshoe Center
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 50m 4s
Overall Rank = 418/1294
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 45/196
Pre-race routine:

Good night's sleep followed by whole wheat toast & PB, soy milk, most of a Balance Bar and some Hammer Gel. Lots of water.
Event warmup:

A few minutes of jogging to warm out - it was chilly at first!
Run
  • 1h 50m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Considering my health and other pre-race circumstances, I felt really good for most of the race. I was on target with my pace for the first 10 miles, feeling strong and keeping my heart rate down. However, around mile 10 I hit "the wall" (first time ever!) where walking sounded great and the finish line seemed so very far away. My legs turned into brick and my brain turned into mush. These last three miles were very daunting both physically and mentally. Not sure what I could have done to prevent that from happening. I definitely lost some time for that portion of the race. Overall, however, I am very happy with my time and performance. It was a lot of fun, and dare I admit, I found it kind of hard...it was a good challenge.
What would you do differently?:

Stay healthy before the race and keep with my normal training routine. Maybe take another hammer gel around mile 9 or 10.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around to find food & bathrooms. A little stretching. My legs tightened up immediately after stopping.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had been pretty sick for the last week and a half, as well as travelling for work the last two weeks. Needless to say, my taper was ridiculous and I wasn't getting in as much training as I would have liked. Overall, I was probably slightly worn down & tired, and may have done better if the two weeks leading up to the race were more ideal.

Event comments:

I'll be back next year!
Still having trouble walking up and down stairs today...two days later.

Last updated: 2005-10-04 12:00 AM
Running
01:50:04 | 13.1 miles | 08m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 45/196
Overall: 418/1294
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat with a few noticable hills. Great views and good terrain.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-10-04 7:40 AM

User image

Regular
Good ole' Central Maine
Subject: Sportshoe Center Marathon / Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sportshoe Center Marathon / Half Marathon Rss Feed