General Discussion Triathlon Talk » On the restart and need a boost Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-06 9:55 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Subject: On the restart and need a boost
I am new to this tri thing I used to run quite a bit worked up to a 13 mile run once, did some 10s and a lot of 5 and 10 ks, that was 7 years ago now I am older, fatter, and with out a partner. Well enough of the sob story please advise me. I want to do a 5 k next month I can now run about 1.5 miles at a 9.30 pace my bike sux I do about 6.5 with hills on a department store MTB at 12 mph. I think my swim is good, bust my bubble if it is not, I do 800 yards in a pool at under 18 min. I want to do a sprint within 6 months please give me some pointers. Oh ya I’m 43 and about 25 pounds overweight.

2005-10-07 7:04 AM
in reply to: #261169

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Subject: RE: On the restart and need a boost
Sounds like you can do finish the swim already. The run and bike will come as long as you put in the time. Do not worry about your speed right now. Just complete the first one. If you can afford it......an upgrade on the bike would be a big improvement. Make sure to buy a tri suit and a race belt before your first race!!
2005-10-07 11:23 AM

Seattle, WA
It's not clear if you're aware of the training plans that are available on this and other sites. The basic beginner sprint plan sounds about right for your current workout times:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Many of us, myself included, started with little or no experience in two or three of the tri disciplines and completed our first triathlons this season using this or similar plans. The typical beginner plan will be 16-20 weeks (4 to 5 months) and will work you up from very short duration workouts to the times needed to complete a sprint distance. The general guideline is you never want to increase your time/distance by more than 10% and you need to factor in rest weeks.

Based on your 6 month goal you might think about maintaining casual run/bike/swim workouts and add a strength training component until you get to four months out from your target triathlon. Then begin the 16 week plan (or something similar).

It's great that you're thinking about this now! You have plenty of time to work up slowly in a healthy, maintainable way. Stick to a plan and you'll almost certainly exceed your expectations!

Good luck,
Jeff
2005-10-07 5:01 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Could you explain just what a tri suit is? What is a good entry level bike the one I have is a alum frame schwinn with basic shimano components.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » On the restart and need a boost Rss Feed