General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 12-24 hr post workout ache and extreme sore/stiff Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-11 6:04 PM

User image

Lethbridge AB
Subject: 12-24 hr post workout ache and extreme sore/stiff
Hello I am getting into training again but I have been having a slight problem. When I work out I warm up and cool down and I feel great (although sometimes tired) but it is the day after that really knocks me down and upsets my routine. 12-24 hrs post work out I get so sore and stiff that I have a hard time keeping up with any kind of training plan. I started drinking 1L of Gaterade post work out as a recovery drink and I try and keep hydrated with a min of 2L of H2O through the day(not counting recovery Litre). I have tried stretching more/less, bu it always seems to set in after a delay. Does anyone have any suggestions or even products to suggest that could help this?
Thanks in advance
Leigh

2005-10-11 6:39 PM
in reply to: #263733

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: 12-24 hr post workout ache and extreme sore/stiff
I don't know if this applies to you but I experience a similar sort of thing also. I think it's due to doing "monster" weekends (relatively) with a long run and long bike back-to-back. Early this year I was working with a coach and he had me up to a high level of working out but I didn't feel like I was run over by a truck the way I do now. I think it has to do with consistently building the schedule across the entire week, not just on the weekend (for me).

It may be that you are training beyond your Lactate Threshold heart rate. As I understand it, beyond this rate, your body can't process the amount of lactic acid that is produced as a result of the exercise. So you end up with a lot of it still in your system, causing muscle soreness and stiffness. To avoid this, keep your heart rate low except for workouts that are specifically meant to be speed workouts. There are some formulas for calculating zones and such which are a decent ballpark (there was a thread not long ago called something like "220 minus your age... the Truth"). It will feel like you're going too slow but you will build a base and speed will come later.

Also, Gatorade is not a recovery drink. It's, at best, hydration and electrolyte replacement during workouts < 1hr. I am experimenting with other products to replace Gatorade because it gives me stomach problems. A recovery drink needs to contain both carbs and protein. I use Endurox R4 and like it. Also peruse the products and forum postings at http://www.personalbestnutrition.comfor ideas and suggestions. I have purchased from and spoken with Brian before and he was very helpful.

The other sounds great and you should continue doing it: hydration, warm-up, cool-down, and stretching.

Mike
2005-10-12 11:58 AM
in reply to: #263733

User image

Expert
WV
Subject: RE: 12-24 hr post workout ache and extreme sore/stiff
What you're experiencing is totally normal. It is called DOMS(delayed onset muscle soreness). It can be attributed to the muscle damage done during workout plus the accumulation of lactic acid. Recovery drinks do help. I would also suggest a good cool down. One, thing that worked for me was to jump in an ice bath. But, not many people have access to industrial size garbage cans. You can soak in a cool pool or take a cool shower.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 12-24 hr post workout ache and extreme sore/stiff Rss Feed