General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tri club expectations Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-13 7:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: tri club expectations

So, I'm a member of this tri club, and when I joined earlier this year I was all excited, they were talking about having training days, lots of meetings and really making it easy for new folks. Well, this is a new club, just really started this year, so I don't want to come down on them too hard, but I'm kind of disappointed. I understand that they (the officers) are really into their racing season, but I joined with the expectation/hope that as a new person I would get tons of help, get some workshops about how to change tires, repair your bike, group workouts, transition tips, etc (all stuff that was talked about). And there really hasn't been anything. Two organized training days, one in back in May and one in late July or early August, a race tent at two or three races, and some rare emails about one or two people meeting at a state park about 40 minutes north of the area...  I was on another local tri club's website, and they have scheduled weekly rides, get togethers...at least from the website it seems much more "together". And now that the off season is approaching, I thought things might pick up again, but haven't heard anything from the officers. I drafted an email that I thought I might send about creating some new positions to help educate new members, and perhaps someone to coordinate training days, etc. But I haven't sent it yet, I certainly don't want to hurt feelings, or offend people. Any suggestions? Am I expecting too much? Thanks!

2005-10-13 7:52 AM
in reply to: #264466

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: tri club expectations
Do they have club meetings? These are the best forums to talk about the stuff you mentioned. There should be an officer responsible for organizing training sessions, as well. You could talk to that person with your ideas.
2005-10-13 7:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
The thought was to have monthly meetings, but the last meeting that I went to was in August? Perhaps July? But, they aren't monthly-I've only attended 2 meetings since I joined in March/April-i'm pretty sure that's all there's been. And as far as officers, there's only a pres, VP, sec and treas. And the pres has done the majority of the coordinating, the VP has started the website, but it's been under construction for several months. Maybe I'm expecting or hoping for to much with a newer club...

Edited by alreed 2005-10-13 7:58 AM
2005-10-13 8:13 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
The cool thing is that you have not only identified a real problem - lack of organized training time + workshops - but also identified a solution, your willingness to step up to help organize these events.

I suspect that the leadership of the tri-club know that they are falling behind in the things that they ought to be doing and would welcome the help. In return for stepping up to provide this help, you'll get the benefit of their participation, experience and support.

Word to the wise: be sure to let them know that you are willing to help - which does not mean "do it alone, by yourself and with no assistance."

The other alternative is to join another tri club ... or, if you are just looking for a more structured triathlon training program, you can take the path I am about to embark on during the winter: Team in Training (http://www.teamintraining.org).

Good luck!
2005-10-13 8:22 AM

User image

Elite

Hypothetical but not too far off the mark

"I think that Alreed would make a great chairman for the group training committee.  We'll just use Evite to put out the info on the ride or run.  Then, maybe we'll throw in a get together next spring to kick off the season.  She'll do great.  Oh yeah.  She's the type of person everybody wants to work out with so lots of folks will just automatically show up.  Let's see if she will do it."

TW

2005-10-13 8:33 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

I struggle to say this in the best possible way.

As the VP of a very small bicycle club for the past 3-4 years, it has been my experience a club is only as active as it's members make it. The club leadershp does not necessarily have to come from the officers, though it often does. And, if your officers are elected, an election of new people can change things too.

Just some things to think about.

2005-10-13 10:09 AM

User image

Elite
Methinks I have a good idea where you are, and I'm not too far away. I am actually planning on adding my name to the member roster in the near future. I agree with the other advice and will support you as much as I can by going to some of the events (although I'm somewhat limited in my abilities to because I live on the extreme outskirts of the area).

bts
2005-10-13 10:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
I belong to our local Tri Club but I don't think I'll renew next year. The group does have monthly meetings at a local pub but that's it. Our group is real clicky, they don't try to make new comers feel welcomed. The group doesn't advertise training rides or clinics so I can't complain that there aren't any but I don't see the purpose of our group.

Alreed if you are willing to invest your time send an e-mail asking about training and volunteer to take the lead but it sounds like you are looking for more than that. Maybe check out other clubs to see if they live up to what they advertise.
2005-10-13 11:01 AM

User image

Expert
At first, I thought maybe you lived in the same area as me and were talking about the tri club I excitedly joined earlier this year. Same thing -- lots of energy in the beginning but then it never went anywhere. They do have more organized workouts than it sounds like your club has, but the club founder is also the owner of a local running store so the activity kind of centers around that. I also found it to be kind of clique-y and cater to the seasoned athletes, leaving a lot to be desired from the newbie members.

If I had the desire to put the time in and volunteer, I would, but I get so much out of this website that it doesn't seem to matter that much. I'd rather spend my "spare" time training or doing other things. I'll probably sign up for the club again next year just to stay in the loop. I'm also thinking of hiring a coach again which would give me the input and feedback I'm looking for from the club.

Mike
2005-10-13 11:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
I am interested in volunteering to help! The good things about these folks is that they're very welcoming-not cliquey or anything. I think the big problem is the officers are really busy with their lives and their own racing-I just didn't want to offend anyone, or whatever...Thanks for the advice! I think I'll send an email and try to find out if we're having a meeting soon.

Edited by alreed 2005-10-13 11:58 AM
2005-10-13 12:25 PM
in reply to: #264682

User image

Giver
The other thing is, it's the end of the racing season (mostly). Folks just may be taking a break...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tri club expectations Rss Feed