General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Minneapolis Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-18 3:49 PM

New user

Burnsville, MN
Subject: Hello from Minneapolis
Hi everyone. Thoght I'd intro myself after lurking for a week. I've just started to train for a tri. I'm hoping to do a sprint in June/July of 06. I'm here to learn.

First, a little background. I'm 6'2" and currently 275 lbs. (not a clydesdale, more of a packaderm) and obviously I'm using my training to drop some weight (hopefully into the 200-215 range.) I had started running last summer when my shins and calves really started burning. Come to find out I had chronic compartment syndrome. Well after a lovely surgery, and 4 10 inch scars on my legs, I'm cleared for activity again. I've started lightly running and biking, but swimming has never been a strong suit. I may try a masters swim program that starts in November. Any advice of any kind would be welcome.

Also, what is a good timetable for your first race? Too early in the spring would be no good. I'm an accountant, so Jan- April is extremely busy. Thanks!

2005-10-18 5:22 PM
in reply to: #267548

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Subject: RE: Hello from Minneapolis

Welcome!  I'm a fellow Twin-Citian (is that what we're called?). There are quite a few of us here and we're a very friendly group!  Sounds like you've had some interesting adventures en route to getting into training!  I'm curious where you've found Masters swim programs.  The one I have found in Maple Grove doesn't fit my schedule, so I need to look elsewhere.  I need to spend A LOT of time in the pool this winter.

I did my first race in May last year - picked it because it was a pool swim.  There are many races around the area, and if you're aiming for a lake swim, I would think you'd definitely want to look into June so at least a bit of the chill is off the water.  I tend to get cold easily, so even with a wetsuit I like warmer water!

Again, welcome!  Check out the Minnesota board for information about specific races and who is racing!

kris

2005-10-18 5:53 PM

User image

Elite

Welcome Whitebread.  I love your attitude.  You'll do fine, just ease into training like a warm bath.  But really...look at the couch to 5k program.  When you run take frequent walk breaks.  When you cycle, master your cadence (85-95 rpm).  And swimming...relax.  Take it easy.  Leave the racing up to the racers. 

Good luck!

2005-10-18 6:00 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Welcome - I'm just south of the cities...
2005-10-19 7:14 AM

New user

Burnsville, MN
Thanks for the welcome.

Kris, the masters program is through continuing education from our school district. It may be a bit far for you to drive. I live in Burnsville (Viva Burns Vegas!) so it's a ways from Maple Grove. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll make sure to stay in touch about training and I'll check the MN board to see what's going on.

Chris
2005-10-19 5:07 PM

I'm excited to hear so many people are from the Twin Cities area. Elk Mound is between Menomonie and Eau Claire Wisconsin, so we spend a lot of time in the St. Paul, Minneapolis area.

I went to Hudson, Wisconsin the first weekend in September and watched the triathlon there. That is the one I have my eyes on for my first attemp. There was a long course and a sprint course. The swimming is in the St. Croix river, but they said that this year you could actually touch bottom the entire time. It was pretty low-keyed, and the entire group was really friendly.

As I recall the swim was 1/3 mile?....I know the bike was 10 miles and the run is 4. I'll send the link. It would be fun if a bunch of us did the same one.

2005-10-19 5:16 PM
in reply to: #267908

Subject: Info on Hudson, WI triathlon
Here is the info on the tri. I couldn't just get a link, but found it on the Wisconsin Triathlon Calendar.

Satur September 3, 2005 ::: Hudson, Wisconsin: St. Croix Valley Sprint Triathlon
Swim 1/3 mile, Bike 10 mile, Run 4 Miles
Time: 7:30 a.m.
Location: Lake Front Park, 100 Walnut Street - Race takes place on the banks of the beautiful St. Croix River on the Wisconsin side.
email: [email protected]
Course Info: The swim course is in the St. Croix River in a calm water area with little or no current. The bike course is an out and back course in rural WI. The run course is an out into North Hudson and then back.
Directions To Race: Take 94 East from St. Paul to Exit 1 in WI or Hwy 35 North into downtown Hudson. Go into downtown and turn left on Walnut street and the park is one block in front of you.
2005 Results At: pickleevents.com
2004 Results At: Click Here
2003 results At: finalstretch.com
2002 Results At finalstretch.com: Individual / Team
2001 Results At: vacationsports.com
2005-10-20 2:01 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
welcome to the forums!

st. croix is a good race, and it is true that you can touch the bottom on the swim...but preview the bike course. there are some tough hills. while i know there are a ton of folks who do st. croix as their first, having done it myself, i don't know if i would recommend it as a first tri unless you really savor climbs! minneman is an excellent first sprint course tri, as is brewhouse (up in duluth).
2005-10-20 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hello, and welcome! Another Minnesotan joins the BT ranks! My first race of the summer the last two years has been the Buffalo Tri which is the first weekend of June. I think there is one in Owatonna a week or two before that as well if you want something earlier. Once the season gets going in June, though, there is a race pretty much every weekend somewhere in the area.

Good luck with your training!

2005-10-20 3:00 PM

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
Welcome!!!!
2005-10-27 1:58 PM
in reply to: #267592

Regular
Mound, MN
Kris,

Look at the Waconia Community Center for a Masters Class. It would be a bit of a drive but you could skirt to the west of Minnetonka andmiss all the traffic, and dodge deer insted of semi's. I swam with them two weeks ago, and they kicked my butt, but in a good way. I was in way over my head, sharing a lane with some fellow with TWO IM tat's. Seriously, they are a great group and I will be joining them after the holidays.

Good Luck,
Jay

2005-10-27 2:03 PM
in reply to: #268624

Regular
Mound, MN
Elk Mound??? I spend a huge chunk of time in your area, between trout fishing and deer hunting. If you have some time to kill on Friday Nov 18th, stop in at the D&D bar in Weston WI(around noon), I'll be one of the three guys at the bar eating super greasy burgers and enjoying a beer or two. We hunt about 10 minutes out of Weston, just west of Downsville. It's become a tradition to eat a "Cackle Burger" on our way to my cousin's farm the Friday before the opener. A Cackle Burger is a cheese burger with an egg.

Good Luck,
Jay
2005-10-27 2:09 PM

Regular
Mound, MN
Ok so now that I've hijacked your thread(I'm sorry, been away for a couple weeks), welcome the the BT!!! As for early season Tri's, I've settled on Buffalo and Lake Minnetonka, and plan to end the season at Brewhouse. I've heard great things about Waconia too, but having fished the lake, the wind could be a problem, the lake is pretty wide open.

If your worried about the swim, there is a Tri in Houston County, MN that subs a canoe section for the swim, on the root river. I was talking about that one with my wife, and she reminded me that they would frown on me having the flyrod in the canoe, and a good brown trout would really mess up my time. It might be worth taking a look at though, wonderful biking between Houston and Lanesboro, all runs along the Root River.

Well, again welcome!
Jay
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Minneapolis Rss Feed