General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flu Shot During Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-20 3:54 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Subject: Flu Shot During Training

Ok- I plan on getting the flu shot next week- I have been getting it for the past 6 years.  From what I remember, it makes me EXTREMELY tired for awhile afterwards.  I am worried that it might interfere with my race even though it won't be until 2 weeks after the shot.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  I am sure my immune system is somewhat supressed from my training, and would hate to get side effects from the shot.  I know they always say it's not a "live virus" but I usually come done with a cold or very mild flu like symptoms shortly after getting it.  Should I chance it and go ahead and get it, or wait until after my race? 

2005-10-20 4:13 PM
in reply to: #269239

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Subject: RE: Flu Shot During Training

Janelle,

I'm not an expert by any means, but if you think it may cause issues with your training and the race, I'd wait until afterwards since it is only a couple weeks.  Of course, this is conditioned on whether you can actually still get the shot in a few weeks.  A couple years ago here in Texas, they ran out of flu shots, so if you didn't get it early, you didn't get it at all.

2005-10-20 7:44 PM
in reply to: #269239

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: Flu Shot During Training
Got my flu shot on Monday. Only side effect so far is a slightly sore arm where the needle went in. Swam on Tuesday morning which helped loosen up the arm and have trained just fine all week.

I'm not sure what you are training for but looking at your logs I see on Wednesday you wrote:
"I wasn't feeling great today. I didn't sleep well last night, had an awful headache and felt like I was coming down with something."

If you feel you are coming down with something then I'd say hold off on getting the shot until after your race.
Regardless of your choice - I wish you a good race and hope that you stay healthy!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flu Shot During Training Rss Feed