General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer v. Rollers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-23 1:11 PM

User image

T1
Subject: Trainer v. Rollers
I am heavily leaning towards rollers for the sole reason trainers drive me mad. I know this has been debated before, but I am looking for the pros and cons to each as well as a brand recommendation. I've searched on this site and didn't find anything, so will someone kindly point me in the right direction to a thread or website discussing this? I know there was a BT performance article, but I'm not a paying member.

Your help is much appreciated, especially as snow is going to be falling soon in SLC...

Happy training!
Victoria

2005-10-23 1:23 PM
in reply to: #270630

User image

Pro
Reston
Subject: RE: Trainer v. Rollers

Are you looking for pros and cons of Rollers vs. Trainers, or pros and cons just of certain brands of rollers?  You seem to have already made up your mind that a trainer is out of the question.  Without having much experience to call upon, when you are on rollers (as opposed to a trainer) you require your own balance, making it slightly more realistic.  Also, the idea of "you get what you pay for" probably stands true.  Rollers that are plastic are usually noisier, and won't hold up as well as something aluminum or otherwise.   I read an article not too long ago with some recommendations, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Edited by 3558 2005-10-23 1:26 PM
2005-10-23 1:42 PM
in reply to: #270635

User image

T1
Both. I lean more towards rollers (haven't used them), only because I don't like trainers. I know, possibly a stupid reason. I know rollers make it more realistic, which is also why I lean towards them.

Thanks for looking up the info!

On a more important note, did you hear about this? http://www.moviehole.net/news/6036.html
Old news I guess, but I can't wait...
2005-10-23 1:57 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
A buddy of mine that is in the bike industry said that Kreitler is the brand to go with for rollers. You can check them out online at Colorado Cyclist. Go with smaller diameter rollers for greater resistance. Good luck.
2005-10-23 2:04 PM
in reply to: #270640

User image

Elite

vmr719 - 2005-10-23 1:42 PM Both. I lean more towards rollers (haven't used them), only because I don't like trainers. I know, possibly a stupid reason. I know rollers make it more realistic, which is also why I lean towards them. Thanks for looking up the info! On a more important note, did you hear about this? http://www.moviehole.net/news/6036.htmlOld news I guess, but I can't wait...

Victoria,

I strongly suggest you Try before you Buy.  Rollers are very difficult to get used to.  I know more than one person who's bought them only to return them or post them  on Ebay.

Roller's are great, but require a different level of commitment.

2005-10-23 2:08 PM

User image

T1
Thanks Michael. I will take my bike to REI and try both for a bit to see which I like more.

What in the world is that animal in your avatar?

2005-10-23 2:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ

I have both and I hate the trainer!  There is no give on trainer and the bike gets uncomfortable. The rollers require committment to learn to use them.  I have a cycling coach and in the beginning I could only ride at his place, never at my own home.  As I have spent more and more time on the bike, I'm more confident in my pedal stroke and balance and now I will ride them at home.

The rollers are great for smoothing out your pedal stroke, teaching to ride a straight line and maintain balance.  I am slowly working on being able to reach from my water bottle...almost there.

While I can't do this (yet), you will be able to do one legged drills (I've seen it done) and out of the saddle work.  I also know people who can ride aero...I'm not there yet.

Go for it!

2005-10-23 8:05 PM
in reply to: #270649

User image

Veteran
You probably won't even be able to ride the rollers the first time you try them--at least I couldn't.  Of course that just made me realize how badly I needed them--poor balance, etc.
2005-10-23 8:13 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
DEFINITELY tri the rollers before you invest. Great workouts, but so hard to learn you may give up. Lots of people do. If you do buy them the best way to learn is to put them in a narrow hallway or better yet a door frame whre your shoulders would be right in the middle of the narrowest part. Being able to use your elbows to help keep your balance will increase your learning curve. Good luck.
2005-10-23 9:09 PM
in reply to: #270640

User image

Champion
Up to a point you are correct about rollers being more realistic. However, you can't easily get "out of the saddle" on rollers, and this is a real drawback of them. (I can get out of the saddle by pedaling in, say, my 53/11, but this seems to put a huge amount of pressure on the rollers.) It also takes a lot of practice to be able to switch readily from the hoods to the aerobars, and each off-season it takes me a few sessions to be able to accomplish this without veering off the rollers (wall to the right of me, couch back to the left of me!).

I have a fairly basic pair of Tacx SportTrack rollers, and they have served me very well. Kreitler is the gold standard of rollers, I believe, but until you know that you love rollers I would start more conservatively (cost-wise). Another aspect of rollers is that they require a fair amount of concentration, so doing anything over 40 minutes at a time is more mentally draining than physically draining. A mindless action movie can make the time go by much more quickly!

I have a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer, and it also has served me well. Unlike you, I can handle the tedium aspects of a trainer fairly well. Have you looked at any of the Spinervals workouts? These might help you learn how to mix things up a bit better while you're on a trainer. I'm happiest on the trainer when I have a varied workout in front of me. Here's one example:

- 20-minute warm-up, working up to a comfortable 80 rpm
- 5 X (:30 left foot only, :30 fast spin, :30 right foot only, :30 fast spin)
- 10 minutes - 5 minute time trial at 80 rpm, 5 minute easy spin
- 5 X (:30 hard with fatser spin, :30 grind in harder gear)
- 5-minute easy spin
- 10 minutes in hardest gearing (:60 standing, :60 seated, :60 standing, :60 seated, :60 standing, 5 minute easy spin)
- 20 X (5 seconds all-out, 10 seconds grind [all in hard gearing, but not hardest])
- 20 minutes cool-down

I hope this helps.
2005-10-24 10:34 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Check out this thread. All GREAT answers and I thought nicely detailed. You will note my commentary on the rollers. Great for all skill aspects, but because they are such a steady freakin' motion with little ability to move around, it's tough to get a workout of much more than 30 minutes in. And, cannot use spinervals DVDs unless you are amazingly balanced. Like someone said here, last spring I was "close" to getting my water bottle without killing myself. We'll see if I can improve on that this winter.

2005-10-24 11:00 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I'll chime in as an owner of rollers...several excellent points made that I agree with:

No, you won't be able to ride the rollers the first time you try them, so it's almost pointless to try them...you really just need to bite the bullet and buy them and work at it.

Yeah, beyond 40 minutes my mind gets fatigued.  I have done 1.5 hours on them...with a movie.  Yes, you can get to the point where you can watch a movie.  But it isn't 1.5 hours of constant cycling either.  During that 1.5 hours I usually need to stop to get water or stop because I fall off.  Lots of stopping.  Maybe I'm just not good enough at them yet.  I can ride in aero but I can't get water and I won't even DARE try to stand up yet.

There is also the option of buying a forkstand with your rollers...you can take the front wheel off and stabilize it in a forkstand and it basically turns your rollers into a trainer.  I am not exactly fond of how the bike feels in this configuration, but it would do the job as a trainer.

But you won't find anything better for learning to ride in a straight line and always pedaling.  I wish I could remember the brand name on mine...bought them a couple of years ago though and it was about $200.

2005-10-24 12:58 PM

User image

T1
Wow, guys, thank you SO much for all the great info. I really, really appreciate it. After a cold ride this morning I know I need to bite the bullet!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer v. Rollers Rss Feed