General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to do while pregnant Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-26 2:31 PM

New user

Valencia, CA
Subject: What to do while pregnant
What can I do to stay fit while pregnant? I don't want to fall too far behind during these winter months before I pop in Mar. I'd like to do a sprint in June.

2005-10-26 2:33 PM
in reply to: #272926

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: What to do while pregnant

Swim. Swim. Swim. Run (as long as the dr. says its safe). Walk. Swim. Swim. Swim.

Congrats!

2005-10-26 2:35 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

"before I pop" .....LOL!  Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy and delivery....well and after that too!

The general rule of thumb is to monitor your heart rate and keep it below 140 in pregnancy.  And not to do strenuous exercise.  Cycling, swimming and walking (or really slow running) should be fine as long as it isn't new to you and you keep the heart rate down....

2005-10-26 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
I have the book The Woman Triathlete, ed. Christina Gandolfo, and there is a chapter entitled Training through Pregnancy, I haven't read it, but enjoyed the rest of the book, so I'm guessing it's pretty good.
2005-10-26 2:42 PM

User image

Queen BTich

One of my kinesiology prof's in college did a marathon 7 months pregnant. She was in shape before and you can do most anything while pregnant--slow enough. She swam, biked, and ran through the day or 2 before she gave birth. Her figured bounced back too since she stayed active.

2005-10-26 2:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Metro Atlanta
I would say follow your Dr's orders. There are alot of factors involved. The advice given is probably sound if your are not in a high risk category. My wife is high risk (age) and we were told NO running, biking, tennis, etc...anything that was a jarring or impact type activity. She was really bummed out to miss a few road races we do together every year. She has been walking and doing a low impact video to stay in shape (somewhat).To be "high risk" we haven't had any complications or real concerns along the way and now in 2 1/2 weeks a whole new chapter will begin.If you aren't comfortable with your Dr's opinion look for one that is also athletic and maybe more knowledgeable in that area.Good Luck and Hang On!!

2005-10-26 3:22 PM

Veteran
Dallas, Texas
Definitely see what your doctor thinks.

Swimming is good--particularly in the later months since the water supports some the weight.

Some women have trouble with their balance while pregnant, so approach cycling with care.

Bill
2005-10-26 4:02 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

My aerobics teacher gave a class the morning she went into labor/gave birth.   Yeah, she was bouncing around steppin'!

If you're fit, do it.  If it hurts or is uncomfortable, STOP.  Obviously, sit ups are out of the question and there's the risk of falling off a bike. 

I wasn't in tris when I was pregnant, but worked out throughout. 

enjoy the time!

2005-10-27 3:54 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
I agree with atree. On this website you will probably get a thousand anecdotes about amazing women who continued training/competing through most of their pregnancy. God bless them for that, but they are not you. My wife is due around the same time as you. She's considered high risk. She began having some problems (if you want details email me, I don't want to go into it here for everyone else's sake) simply after lifting our 5 year old son. Maybe you can bike, but do you have to lift your bike? What if you got a flat? Follow your doctor's orders. If it's no excersizing, just consider your post pregnancy training to be a bigger obstacle than you thought it would be. Compared to what else you are and will be experiencing it's not going to seem like that big of a deal. Good luck.
2005-10-27 4:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX

My wife is having a baby in a week and a half.  She is/was very active(doesnt do tri's but very fit).  Her doctor told her she was fine to continue her normal activities that she was doing prior to becoming pregnant.  Then at a certain point she had to cut that back in intensity.  I can't remember the week of pregnancy that was but will ask her.  Then she gradually scaled back as she got bigger.  But as Comet said, swimming is excellent since it is so low impact yet works the whole body.

As for the tri in June, it will depend on how your pregnancy goes.  My wife is having a c-section and the doctor has already told her she cannot do anything strenuous for 6 weeks.

2005-10-27 8:22 PM
in reply to: #273622

New user

Valencia, CA
Thanks for all the advice. And as much as I swim, there's just nothing that beats a good, hot sweat. Honestly, I used to rip on the ladies who would walk for exercise(wimps!)
But I guess I must forfeit my competative attitude for a while and hit the streets.
Not gonna ride, never joined a gym and probably never will. I'll stick to my small free weights and lots of stretching. Bye-bye tight ass.( But hello to beautiful baby. This will be my 4th lil' munchkin. I'm one of those easy pregnancy, and fast, natural labor and delivery chics, so far.
Never done one of these chat room things. Thanks for all the advice and support. You guys rock!

2005-10-27 8:26 PM

Expert
Brisbane
My partner is also due in march (she isn't a triathlete) but she walks and does light weights. She also bought a workout DVD for pregnant woment that mainly uses a Swiss ball.

Keep it light I reckon, afterall, you primary role is making sure you/she/he eat well and get rest (that last one is easier said than done I know) and minimise stress.

Good luck and congrats
2005-10-27 8:45 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Congrats to all the expecting moms! I can't give much advice because I haven't had this wonderful experience yet. Good luck!
2005-10-27 11:39 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
My doctor said to continue what I was doing before, keeping my heart rate under 140.  At 18 weeks, he recommended that I stop biking, skiing, or doing anything else that requires balance, as you usually start to show by then and your center of balance changes.

That said, I continued with regular Power Pump aerobics class, swimming, and walking...I even went to class the day before I delivered.  I returned 5 days after giving birth.  I just amended a lot of the exercises to the exerball.  That way I was never laying on my back to do abs, pecs, flys or other exercises you typically lay flat for.  I gradually decreased the amount of weight as I got bigger, but kept up with all those skinny, fit chics until the very end. And I can't begin to tell you how much it improved my recovery time!  I felt phenomenal afterwards and also had no problem tolerating natural childbirth (ok..so it wasn't really "no problem"...it was just no problem in between screaming out the God and His son and alternately cussing like a sailor)!

I found working out with nursing boobs to be a bigger pain!

Melanie
2005-10-28 12:21 AM

New user

Valencia, CA
Maybe I'll look into getting one of those exerballs. If it doesn't keep my body firm at least I can use it to "peg" my kids when they least expect it. That's always a good laugh.
Hey Downunderman- love the kangaroo centerfold. He's hot!
2005-10-28 12:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen, TX

eat.

its what i'd want you to do if i was in there. oh and also buy your lil one a bike as soon as he is big enough to wear a youth size livestrong bracelet.

2005-10-28 6:05 AM

User image

Master
Savannah,
Do what you normally do, only no off-balance type stuff.......cycling (although a spin bike would be okay), tennis. The biggest risk besides falling is becoming over-heated (that's why they don't want you to get in a hot tub) and becoming dehydrated. I taught water aerobics until three weeks before I gave birth (yep, quite lovely in a swim suit in front of 20 people at that size). But everyone is different and what your doctor said should come first.

To keep in somewhat "peak" fitness if you don't feel comfortable running, I would use your heart rate monitor in the water to swim and do higher intensity workouts (water running, higher impact/bigger rebounds/more resistance). Adjust your hr minus 17bpm for the water. You can also do stuff on your back in the water that you can't do on land. Since your body only perceives 1/10 of your body weight in water, there is no pressure on that big artery like there is on land.

If you want some higher intensity aquatic workouts, besides swimming, I would be happy to forward some to you via email. I am a certified aquatics personal trainer and have some simple, great workouts you could do on your own and really get your heart rate up.

Okay, have I bored you yet? I could talk about this forever. Good luck and happy pushing!
Shannon
2005-10-28 8:21 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
i'll just echo what others havesaid.first - congratulations! second, you can keep doing what you had been doing already. swimming is GREAT during pregnancy. i did a lot of biking in my early months, and loads of walking and hiking throughout.

pregnancy and birth are like an intense training season and a major race - you'll need some major reccovery time! hope this isn't too much detail for folks. atfer delivery, as your uterus contracts back to its regular size, you can have bleeding for up to two months, sometimes longer. activity intensifies this bleeding. if you are breastfeeding (which is an awesome thing!), your breasts may be pretty full for the first couple months until your body figures out how much milk your child needs. you may be ableto use your regular bras, but might need a sport top in a size larger than normal. best to wait and see how you feel after birth and take it slow. it takes 9+ months to grow a baby and change your shape, it will take at least that long to get back to your 'normal' body.
2005-10-28 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Swear by the exerball. Even just to hang out on at home. I watched TV sitting on that thing, especially towards the end. It opens your pelvis and helps to settle baby into the right position. I also did abs(crunches and pelvic tilts) the entire pregnancy on the ball.  I think I spent 80% of my labor on the thing...when I wasn't crawling up the back of the bed.  And it is good to peg kids with...or hubby...usually the later tolerates it better!
2005-10-28 11:48 AM
in reply to: #274009

User image

molto veloce mama
me too!
2005-10-28 2:45 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to do while pregnant Rss Feed