Canadian Triathlon Forum Nova Scotia » A tough Breed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-28 6:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Halifax
Subject: A tough Breed
Well if the hills don’t get you the wind and rain will. I thought of going for a run the other day, “what’s a little rain”? Opted against it (that was the day Wilma rolled though, or what was left of her). When I was out for a drive that afternoon day I was taken back at how similar the day was to the Blue Nose Marathon. The things we put our selves through. Sometimes I wonder if it would be better to start smoking, drinking more, eating fast food and sit on the couch all weekend watching TV. Sure we won’t live as long but we sure as hell won’t be going out running 20k in a post tropical storm. Well deep down we all know why we do it, and to the couch potatoes it will remain a mystery.
Oh yes the wind and the hills! I was in the Toronto area this summer. I thought I would go out for a light 5k run. To my surprise the roads were all FLAT. Not a self respecting hill in site. I ended up going 18k just to get over the novelty of running on a continuos flat road. I’m sure it makes for a tough breed of runner when you train in Nova Scotia, because if you’re doing serous training you don’t have a choice but to fight the elements or terrain.

2006-02-10 8:46 PM
in reply to: #274307

Subject: RE: A tough Breed
Ok, so i'm originally from TO and i had been running in Halifx for only a year before i went back home to do the sporting like 10k race ( my first ever real race- i dont know if the Dalhousie 5k tuneup counts) and i actually missed the hills! I really love hills - Am I ok? should i seek a therapist? but anyways, i ran a 40:25 and apparently thats good but people dont listen when you say that it was flat and down hill cause they justify the realtively flat course with the two "large hills" that appear during the race. HA! I'd love to see the Torontonians do a halifax race! oh wait.. I'm still waiting to do my first race here. I'm thinking about the bluenose 10k ( apparantly my "joints will not be able to take the damage that a marathon would cause them"- my anatomy prof.)
So back to the point of replying to this post.... I completely agree with asking the question of dwhy do we run during the effects of a tropical storm? I have no idea other than the fact that it was great resistance training.. especially when going up a hill and the wind just smacks you straight on- almost fell over a couple times !
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Nova Scotia » A tough Breed Rss Feed