General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HRM/Cycling Computer Strategy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-28 11:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: HRM/Cycling Computer Strategy
I'm "gearing up" to train more seriously for next tri season after my first race this September.

I want to purchase both a cycling computer (with cadence - I'm still a beginner cyclist) and my first HRM.

The options are a bit staggering and I've gone back and forth on whether I want to purchase somewhat ahead of my needs or start up basic and upgrade if necessary later.

I think it makes more sense to go with a more basic set-up including the Polar F11, with the soft WearLink coded transmitter:
http://www.polarusa.com/Products/fseries/f11.asp?cat=consumer

And... the Cateye Astrale 8 cycle computer
http://www.trisports.com/cateyeastrale.html

Purchasing both will set me back about $200.00.

An alternative "all in one" package, including the soft WearLink transmitter (which I really want) brings me into the Polar S725 ($329.00) plus cadence sensor kit (another $45.00) for a grand total of $374.

Or, I could go for the 625X with the footpod, $349 - but I'd want to get the speed and cadence sensors which sends the total price up to to about $440. Now the footpod data would be very cool, but I pretty much know the distances on my standard running routes and have been doing time-based training anyway so far.

I'd like to hear from anyone else who purchased both a HRM and cycling computer around the same time. Did you get separate units or a single unit? Does anyone regret going with a more basic HRM - finding that they wanted to upgrade too soon (and it would have therefore made more sense to just purchase a higher-end solution initially?)

Thanks,
Heidi

2005-10-29 9:03 AM
in reply to: #274394

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: HRM/Cycling Computer Strategy

Hello Heidi,

I have a Shimano wireless Flight Deck on my bike (has cadence built in) and I wear a Polar 720i with speed sensor on the bike.  Being able to record my HR and elevation and save it in a training calendar is nice, but I've found that I don't really need to record my distance.  I don't like having two sensors attached to my front wheel so I'm thinking of taking the speed sensor off.  I just plan on manually adding my distance to my training calendar.  Cadence is nice, but I've been cycling for so many years that I don't really pay any attention to my cadence because I know where I'm at at any given time. 

I've heard good things about the Cateye Astrale 8.  The cadence feature is nice if you need this option. (strongly suggested for newer cyclists).  I guess I would say I would rather put my money on a good HRM and less on a bike computer.  Distance and speed/average speed is all that's important to me.  If you have the option of getting Flight Deck on your bike you might want to check it out (about $150). 

2005-10-31 10:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mesa AZ

I got the cateye astrale8 and it does everthing I could possibly need.  (cadence, speed, etc).

I bought the polar s210 for the HRM for three reasons;

1. It does laps, which the F11 doesn't
  2. It is water resistant so I could swim with it
  3. I got it for $150 on ebay including the new wearlink-style chest strap

Total set me back a bit over $200 including postage on the S210 and installation on the astrale8 and gives me pretty much everything you could ask for.  I can find the link to the vendor that I got the S210 from (it was within the last month) or you can just go on ebay and search for the S210.

2005-10-31 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mesa AZ

Polar S210 on ebay from the same guy I bought it from (fast ship, product perfect)

2005-10-31 12:11 PM
in reply to: #275072

User image

Veteran
Seattle, WA
misanthropic777 - 2005-10-31 8:22 AM

Polar S210 on ebay from the same guy I bought it from (fast ship, product perfect)

Thank you for posting this! That's a great price on the S210 and you make an excellent point on the extra features. I'll give it go.

- Heidi
2005-10-31 3:29 PM

User image

, Texas
I would get:
Polar RS200 HRM
Polar CS100b bike computer with optional cadence.

I say this as I would definately like to have my HR on my bike computer.
The RS200 (not RS200sd) is cheap ($130) and comes with the wearlink. Also, you would have the option later to get a footpod and get running pace/distance as well.

Please note that I have no experience with either of those, so it may not be the best idea (ie. not show enough on 1 screen), but I really would like my HR on the bike computer and it would be a real pain to have to put my HR watch on a bicycle mount.

Also, check out some of the BT sponsers (TriSports) as you could get 15% off and free shipping.

One warning about Polar is that they are strict when it comes to warranty and will only honor it from authorized dealers. They specifically state ebay purchases are not a their valid for their warranty (see http://www.polarusa.com/warranty/warranty_con.asp).

2005-12-06 2:20 PM
in reply to: #275068

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
misanthropic777 - 2005-10-31 9:17 AM

I got the cateye astrale8 and it does everthing I could possibly need.  (cadence, speed, etc).

I have this one too, and now I need to shop for a new one.  I've only had it one season for about 1800ish miles and the cadence function has completely died on me.  And if I go over any bumps sometimes the wire on the computer part jiggles loose.  If I don't notice right away I lose the speed/distance data until I notice.  I can usually jiggle the wire back in, but the damage is done.  Anyone else have this problem?

2005-12-06 3:09 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
hpadkisson - 2005-10-29 12:16 AM
I want to purchase both a cycling computer (with cadence - I'm still a beginner cyclist) and my first HRM.

And... the Cateye Astrale 8 cycle computer
http://www.trisports.com/cateyeastrale.html

I've been riding for 15 years and never buy any computer WITHOUT cadence ...... has nothing to do with experience!

Definitely worth it! You can get an Astrale for about $29 shipped on Fleabay.

As for HRM? Just get a base level Polar one, or something from Nashbar on closeout. You should easily be able to get both under $100. Keeping them separate will allow you to use the HRM is more than just the cycling training.

The two HRM I've owned both suffered different fates. After resisting for years getting one I finally broke down and bought one in the mid 90's. Driving from a friend's house after a ride with my bike in my old roof rack, a dead tree branch fell and landed in the bike. Only thing damaged? The HRM - squashed to pieces. The second one I bought last year on closeout. After half the season it started freaking out. I figured the battery was cooked, so I bought a new battery. Still didn't work, something internally messed up.

I'm convinced some higher power is trying to tell me I don't need one ........
2005-12-06 4:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sydney
I've got the Polar 625x and the speed and cadence things. My thoughts:-

- Overall, love it.
- Love the PC download. I've always found a training diary to be a great motivator and having one with so much detail makes it ten times better. Also due to work I find it tough to stick to rigid schedules and periodisation so has a number of features that really help.
- Love the foot-pod, to the extent that when I lost one I went and bought another one. Prefer over the GPS alternatives because I can also use it on the treadmill. Have a Timex GPS and sometimes takes a while to get a signal, skips under trees etc.
- Bike stuff, less good and found a bike computer is a better bike computer (what a surprise!) and a few problems with the strength of the signals (might be due to having a carbon frame though). But would still say that having it combined in one unit is still v cool

What would my dream set up be? S625x, Powertap, and Training Peaks to use as a diary as you can combine the files from both devices. Please Santa.
2005-12-08 9:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
I just kept a watch on ebay, finally got a Polar S710i package for $93 plus shipping; & the really great thing is that it all works; I got 2 chest transmitter, speed sensor, & cadence sensor.

I was really stuck on cadence & HRM, & didn't like having 2 computers. I had thought I wasn't serious enough to warrent the download capability, but if you can get it for the right price, it comes in really handy.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HRM/Cycling Computer Strategy Rss Feed