FL Race Place Magazine
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 23s
Overall Rank = 321/489
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 32/38
Pre-race routine:

Wow, was I late for this one. I scrambled for my packet, body marking, and chip. Then I ran my bike out to the transition area (was in there at least 3 minutes after it officially closed) and then ran out on to the beach and waited for my start time. It was COOOOOOOOLD!!! This being my third triathlon, I have gotten used to warm weather in the first two. They were 75-78 degree days with 84-degree lake water...this one was 68 degree water on a 60 degree day. OUCH!!!
Event warmup:

Warmup?!?!?! How could I with no time! I put my feet in the water and screamed with chill...then wondered what the hell I was doing here. But I decided to just suck it up and get with the program!
Swim
  • 14m 8s
  • 587 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Holy crap, this was cold. I don't think I have ever volunarily run into water this cold before. It was definitely an experience. I had a lot of trouble breathing at first. But after I got used to it, it got alot easier. I wound up backstroking some of it, just because my arms were so tight from being cold, and I was drinking alot of seawater (ugh!!) but all in all, I was ok with the swim since it was longer than I've done in the past.
What would you do differently?:

Can't say that I have an idea of this, since the experience was so numbing. I guess I can say I'd have a wetsuit for something this cold...but I don't own one yet.
Transition 1
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

This transition could have been better, but I was so cold I could hardly concentrate. I was going to put a shirt on, but I was wasting time so I said F$%& the shirt! Figured that'd be a mistake, but it wound up being ok.

Get there sooner so I have more time to lay out my stuff in order. Having everything thrown together was a definite hindrance.
Bike
  • 36m 26s
  • 11 miles
  • 18.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike still seems to be holding me back although my splits have gotten much better as my events go on. First 11 mile split was 48:28, then 42:something, now 36:26. The FATBOY slick tires really help. And the tailwind for about three miles helped a bunch too!!

ROAD BIKE!!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

This transition was ok, definitely crowded in transition area, the racks were too crowded too. I had to put my bike halfway down the rack from where I took it...wasn't enough room otherwise.

Not really what I would do differently, I'd say the race organizers need more racks so that everyone has enough space to rack and unrack.
Run
  • 28m 56s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Coming off of a left foot/ankle injury three weeks ago in the Komen Race for the Cure, I was pretty surprised that I actually did this well in the run. The first half mile was a little hard to get used to, because my foot is still feeling tight and sore, and my knee was stiff. But once I got to about mile 1, I was feeling better and was able to run a bit faster, albeit slower than I normally would, had my foot been at 100%. Then at 1.25 miles...holy hell, there's sand! Lots of it! The entire remainder of the run portion was on sand...it was hard to get used to and I could very easily have re-injured my foot because of the instability of the ground causing my foot to bend every which way, but I did just fine. I was very thankful.

Nothing...I love the run portion of these races, it's my strong point. The only thing I'd say I can improve upon is making myself aware that I can run faster than I feel like I can.
Post race
Warm down:

Upon entering the finish chute, I grabbed some water, walked around, and tried to keep my legs from cramping. I can tell that I really pushed hard on the bike because my quads were glowing...well at least in my mind they were...and today (two days after) they are tight and sore like I just did a really heavy leg workout. But after walking around a while, I drank some more water and gatorade, and then sat and breathed for a while so my heart rate and breathing returned to normal.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think being nervous about my foot really held me back in the run. I probably could have come in at least a minute faster. The swim being longer than normal freaked me out a bit too. So I conserved energy and didn't swim as fast. I'll bet I could have swum a bit faster as well. My transitions were definitely off pace this time too.

Event comments:

This was the best race and the worst race all at the same time. Best because I had the best time and improved my bike split 12 minutes over my first race, and 6 minutes over my second. But because of my tardiness, my transitions suffered. I know I could have done better at the transitions and I know I could have run faster. Yet, I still beat my personal best combined finish time by over 5 minutes. I'm super thrilled at that and I know I'll be better in the next one.

Last updated: 2005-10-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:08 | 587 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 25/38
Overall: 286/489
Performance: Good
Suit: Nylon swimsuit
Course: Out, across, and in. Almost curved, but pretty straight along the backstretch.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:26 | 11 miles | 18.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 33/38
Overall: 347/489
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: 5 miles out and back, then .5 miles out and back to make 11 miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:56 | 03.11 miles | 09m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/38
Overall: 270/489
Course: Approximately 1.25 miles on pavement, the rest was sand...both packed and loose, depending on the area of the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-10-31 11:55 AM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Subject: Suncoast Triathlon

2005-11-10 12:59 PM
in reply to: #275113

User image

Master
Subject: Suncoast Triathlon
This race marked the end of my 2005 Triathlon Year. After three events this year, I'm so psyched and so inspired to continue this awesome sport! I can thank all of you here at BT for being totally inspirational and allowing me to "brag" about these accomplishments...even if they really aren't much to brag about (YET!!). Now I can concentrate on the few 5K's, 10K's, and half marathon I have left this year, and the full marathon next February before getting back on the TRI circuit early next spring. Have a wonderful holiday season!!
2005-11-10 1:21 PM
in reply to: #282539

User image

Buttercup
Subject: RE: Suncoast Triathlon
Hey Jeff. Way to suck it up with the chilly waters. I don't believe in wetsuits but will be reluctantly purchasing one in January (a birthday present for myself). Hope to see you at some events. Looks like you're doing the Gasparilla? Do you plan on doing St. A's Oly?
2005-11-10 1:52 PM
in reply to: #282556

User image

Master
Hi Renee! Yes, Gasparilla is it! Can't wait! It'll be my second marathon. I'm psyched about bringing my time down from last year's Disney. I ran 4:30:55 in that, and I want an under 4-hour time this year! Been training hard!

When is the Olympic you mentioned? My goal is to do Olympic Distance and International Distance this year. More nervous about Olympic because of the 1500m swim as opposed to the 900m in the international. But I'm confident. 2007 will be my HalfIron year and 2008 (God willing) I'll tackle the big one!! Thanks for the encouragement, hope to see you at some events!!

2005-11-10 2:01 PM
in reply to: #282582

User image

Buttercup

St. Anthony's Olympic Tri is April 30, 2006. I believe the signup date is December 1 and it sells out quickly so do signup on December 1 if you definitely want in.

St. Anthony's is the inaugural oly for the season and the field is HUGE - like 4,000 athletes. It's very exciting. You will love it! It will be my first time competing in an oly (I just started Feb this year) but I spectated and volunteered for St. A's this year and was blown away. HUGE event. Oh, the swim start is off the beach just north of the Pier, downtown St. Pete.

Some of us ride and do OW swims together (I love salt water swimming and will start OW swim training in January). You'll have to check the Group Training/Who's Racing (Florida) board to see what's going on. You do know about the 30+ BTers who will be at Gasparilla, don't you? There will be a large BT group at St. A's too.

Don't be shy about joining in.

2005-11-10 2:05 PM
in reply to: #282591

User image

Master
Wow, thanks for the info. Yes, I'll definitely get in on that! By that time I think I'll be more than ready for a OLY event. Sounds like a blast. I'll also check out the BTers at the Gasparilla. A big THANKS for clueing me in on that! See you at the marathon!

Edited by F150mco 2005-11-10 2:08 PM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Suncoast Triathlon Rss Feed