General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what counts as REST??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-01 9:04 PM

Subject: what counts as REST???
Hello everyone. Just completed my first HIM Oct 30th(Soma 1/2 in AZ)!! YEEHAW Time 5:46:17 Not bad considering I just started with Tri's 6 months ago and I LOVE EM!! So my question is. I was told to rest for about 2 weeks to let the body settle down from all the stress that its been trhough and then on the 3rd week slowly start getting back into training. Does weight lifting count as training or should i avoid only endurance training? What about core training on my time off? Or does that defeat the purpose of time off? Thank you.

Mike B

2005-11-01 9:12 PM
in reply to: #276140

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: what counts as REST???

crghtnsocr - 2005-11-01 9:04 PM Hello everyone. Just completed my first HIM Oct 30th(Soma 1/2 in AZ)!! YEEHAW Time 5:46:17 Not bad considering I just started with Tri's 6 months ago and I LOVE EM!! So my question is. I was told to rest for about 2 weeks to let the body settle down from all the stress that its been trhough and then on the 3rd week slowly start getting back into training. Does weight lifting count as training or should i avoid only endurance training? What about core training on my time off? Or does that defeat the purpose of time off? Thank you. Mike B

Congratulations Mike!  Damn good job!!!  5:46....wow!  You should be thrilled!

Sorry, can't offer any help on the training issue...just wanted to congratulate you.

2005-11-01 9:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
Nice race you should be proud that is a great time!!!!
2005-11-01 9:22 PM

Thank you very much you two. Badnews where are you becoming a IRONMAN?? I think i might be right with you in AZ!!
2005-11-02 10:51 AM

User image

Expert
After my (only) HIM, and from what I read from others who completed one around the same time I did, just listen to your body and do a little less than you think you can. If you feel like going out and doing a 10-mile run this week, I probably wouldn't suggest that, but 4 or 5... yeah, but slowly, not race pace. There's no hard and fast rule that applies to everyone because everyone's recovery periods are different and it depends on how hard you pushed (for you) in your race.

I would say that weight lifting does count as training and that the suggestions to rest probably mean no exercise whatsoever, including weight lifting, core, everything. But again, that depends on how hard you raced and the amount of time it takes your body to recover and what recovery method works best for you (sitting on the couch, or active recovery). Part of it is mental, so that if you "want" to train, then you are probably ready to. Just take it slow and easy.

Mike
2005-11-02 11:24 AM

User image

Veteran

crghtnsocr - 2005-11-01 6:04 PM Hello everyone. Just completed my first HIM Oct 30th(Soma 1/2 in AZ)!! YEEHAW Time 5:46:17 Not bad considering I just started with Tri's 6 months ago and I LOVE EM!! So my question is. I was told to rest for about 2 weeks to let the body settle down from all the stress that its been trhough and then on the 3rd week slowly start getting back into training. Does weight lifting count as training or should i avoid only endurance training? What about core training on my time off? Or does that defeat the purpose of time off? Thank you. Mike B

Are you at the end of your season? Anything else after this? If this race is your last for '05, then just do whatever you want for a couple weeks and then begin to focus on your limiters during the off-season, in preparation for next season. I have an article on the homepage of this site to give you some ideas.

I general, I've found that HIM athletes usually feel pretty good by Wed or Thursday of the following week but that it's too soon for any intensity. Most are lucky to back on board with their easy volume by the following weekend. You should be back to normal about 8-10 days out from the race.

So, in general, stick with something between "nothing" and "do what you want to do." The biggest risk at the end of the season is to drop completely off the good-eating wagon and put on weight over the holidays. Don't do that.

2005-11-02 12:59 PM

User image

Expert
WV
Congrats. I would give your body at least a good week of no intense activity, including weight lifting. Walking is a good thing for activity during recovery weeks. The second week, EASY and LIGHT workouts are what you should do...the warm-up type activities you normally perform. You may feel ready, and may think your body feels ready but the intensity if what you did to your body takes time to recover. You tore up muscle tissue and physiologically it needs to heal. The tissues are going through the inflammation process basically to get rid of the damaged tissues. Starting back at too soon and too intensely will possible set you up for an injury. In the grand scheme of things....it's only two weeks....you can handle anything for that short of time.
2005-11-02 6:11 PM

Thank you all very much. I will enjoy my time off and start up in a couple of weeks. Gotta get ready for Ironman Arizona in April. Happy Training All.

Mike B
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what counts as REST??? Rss Feed