General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone done a half ironman? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-10-08 11:52 AM

Rye, New York
Subject: Anyone done a half ironman?
I've finished a few sprints and olympics and am ready for the next step towards becoming an ironman. If anyone has done the half can you provide feedback into the differences and challenges as opposed to the shorter olympics and sprints.

2003-10-09 9:31 AM
in reply to: #1127

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: geoff white...

one of bt's editors has just completed his first 1/2im.  he wrote a very comprehensive article on how he trained, felt, and what he did wrong and right, go to http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Geoff%20White/Geoff%20White.htm

i think this will help.

do u have a training program yet?

2003-10-10 5:32 AM

Veteran
Rutland Ohio (South Eastern Ohio)
Subject: RE: Anyone done a half ironman?
I finished one in August, but I'm not that good of a person to ask for advice. I didn't finish as well as I was planning, even though I gave it everything I had. I have also only participated a total of 2 triathlons. One was about an olympic and the other was the 1/2 IM. I basically tried to follow one of the training schedules online like on this site or www.trinewbies.com. I didn't keep it as much as I would have liked, and only swam about 10 times total. I'm not that great of example to follow.
2003-10-13 1:04 AM

User image

Veteran
, Zurich
Subject: RE: Anyone done a half ironman?
The biggest difference in moving up to a 1/2 will be more hours spent on the bike and run just getting a stronger endurance base. (really don't need to do speedwork).

Also in increasing from olympic distance is a much bigger role in nutrition, body composition, efficiency, race course know-how, and mental prep and equipment condition. I mention these things because for a set number of training hours, your race finish time can vary drastically by these other factors such as how you eat, the condition of your bike, and visualization of how your pacing will be, etc...

I've started working on an article on training for the 1/2 that I'll try to get done by the end of the month.
Cheers,
Scott
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone done a half ironman? Rss Feed