General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Making the move to TRI Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-07 10:28 AM

Subject: Making the move to TRI
I am a 31 year old man from Grand Rapids, MI. I have been a distance runner for a few years and have completed 5 marathons. I have always been active to some degree or another. But, after my last marathon in 2003 I took a little time off to rest and just as I started to get back into it I feel and seperated my shoulder. From there I just let it all go. I GAIN 40 LBS UGH. Since Xmas I have been back at it. Working out alot and I have fallen in luv with TRI training. I have spent hours on the bike and plenty of time running. Now I am gearing up my swim training ( I swim like a rock). I have lost the 40 lbs and feel great. I am looking for additional motivation to keep it up and continue to improve my fitness. My main areas of concern are improving my swim, keeping up my endurance on the bike during the winter, and getting my running speed back. Any coments, motivation, etc would be apprecitated. I am am a goal setter and very competitive so I am up for challenges if anyone is issuing them. Thanks.

2005-11-07 10:37 AM
in reply to: #279552

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Making the move to TRI
Welcome! There are a lot of resources here to help with your training.

In terms of motivation, consider scheduling a race at the beginning of next year. It helps you to stay focused on your training knowing that you have a date you need to be ready. Also, check out the challenges forum for training challenges and there are also weight-loss challenges going on too.
2005-11-07 10:41 AM
in reply to: #279571

As far as races go I will pry run the Traverse City, MI marathon on Memorial Day weekend. After that I would like to try my hand at a 1/2 IronMan distance race (boy that swim scares me). I would like to finish a full IronMan in 07, maybe sooner if my swim improves enough.

Thanks for the info BTW.
2005-11-07 11:02 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas

From a former rock to a current rock... keep swimming it will come.... I started 8 months ago with only being able to swim 1/2 lap now I could do a mile ez... Check out your local YMCA and get involved in a Masters Swim program...

Eric

ps welcome to BT

bkkiovi - 2005-11-07 10:28 AM I am a 31 year old man from Grand Rapids, MI. I have been a distance runner for a few years and have completed 5 marathons. I have always been active to some degree or another. But, after my last marathon in 2003 I took a little time off to rest and just as I started to get back into it I feel and seperated my shoulder. From there I just let it all go. I GAIN 40 LBS UGH. Since Xmas I have been back at it. Working out alot and I have fallen in luv with TRI training. I have spent hours on the bike and plenty of time running. Now I am gearing up my swim training ( I swim like a rock). I have lost the 40 lbs and feel great. I am looking for additional motivation to keep it up and continue to improve my fitness. My main areas of concern are improving my swim, keeping up my endurance on the bike during the winter, and getting my running speed back. Any coments, motivation, etc would be apprecitated. I am am a goal setter and very competitive so I am up for challenges if anyone is issuing them. Thanks.

Edited by ott13979 2005-11-07 11:03 AM
2005-11-07 12:47 PM

So far I have joined a swim class and it has helped a ton. Leaving work right now to Swim. Haven't seen a "masters" class at the Y I belong to but maybe I am not looking hard enough.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Making the move to TRI Rss Feed