General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Florida 1/2 Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-01-24 8:10 PM
in reply to: #280172

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Subject: RE: Florida 1/2 Ironman
I'm really looking forward to the change. It will be my 3rd HIM and 2nd MDOT brand race, but to me, doing this sport is a challenge. Changing the format a bit makes it even more of a challenge!
I did an OLY last fall that had us swim the first half, then get out, run up the beach, and swim the second half. I think that's interesting and different, and forces people to change up their strategies. I realize some folks have the race so ingrained in their mind that any break from the swim/bike/run throws them for a loop, but remember, we'll all be there suffering together on the same course for our free tee shirts, and as always, misery loves company!

2006-01-24 8:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids MI
Well put Brent!!!

See everyone at the Race !!!!!

Scott
2006-01-24 9:12 PM
in reply to: #331058

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Brent1812 - 2006-01-24 9:01 PM For Pete’s sake, lighten up, we got troops in harms way and we’re Bi*ching about a f’ing race, get real! If you don’t want to do it, don’t do it, go home and whine ‘cause the race is changed!

Brent, what in this thread would you classify as whining?  

2006-01-24 10:00 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Hi yall! I'm doing the Florida Half too. Just checking in with you guys and saying hi. This is my 2nd HIM. It *is* bit odd about the changed course format, but I agree that a challenge is always welcome. I'm hoping to do Ironman Switzerland in July, so this is a stop along the way. Anyway, I hope to hear from you all more. I've enjoyed reading this thread and getting the latest updates on the course. Keep in touch.
2006-01-25 6:23 AM
in reply to: #331106

User image

Veteran
, Florida
marmadaddy - 2006-01-24 10:12 PM

Brent1812 - 2006-01-24 9:01 PM For Pete’s sake, lighten up, we got troops in harms way and we’re Bi*ching about a f’ing race, get real! If you don’t want to do it, don’t do it, go home and whine ‘cause the race is changed!

Mike,

This was my basic response to the SlowTwitch.com thread, sorry! I read this, then went there, made my post and then reposted here!

It just pisses me off that all these folks, suppose to be hard corps endurance athletes, get upset because a race is no longer cookie cutter. They are afraid they can't tell their friends they ran a 'Half IronMan' because we ran 2 miles before the bike, and it was counted as part of the 1/2 Mary!" crap! Hell, they should make everyone of the events a hodgepodge, mix it up, then see how good the endurance training is.

If you took offense, sorry, but as for the marketing I could care less, they could call it Mickey’s and Goofeys HIM Tri and I was going to do it!

You know, it's kind'a like the thread about the M-Dot tattoo, do you get one if it really wasn't a M-Dot race? Kind'a silly! 70.3 miles as compared to 70.3 miles, it all comes out in the end!

2006-01-25 7:29 AM
in reply to: #331209

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Brent1812 - 2006-01-25 7:23 AM

Mike, This was my basic response to the SlowTwitch.com thread, sorry! I read this, then went there, made my post and then reposted here! It just pisses me off that all these folks, suppose to be hard corps endurance athletes, get upset because a race is no longer cookie cutter. They are afraid they can't tell their friends they ran a 'Half IronMan' because we ran 2 miles before the bike, and it was counted as part of the 1/2 Mary!" crap! Hell, they should make everyone of the events a hodgepodge, mix it up, then see how good the endurance training is. If you took offense, sorry, but as for the marketing I could care less, they could call it Mickey’s and Goofeys HIM Tri and I was going to do it! You know, it's kind'a like the thread about the M-Dot tattoo, do you get one if it really wasn't a M-Dot race? Kind'a silly! 70.3 miles as compared to 70.3 miles, it all comes out in the end!

My main concern is maintaining civility on these boards. I'm also interested in the business aspect of triathlon and how people make money from what is a phenomenally competitive yet sometimes extremely coorperative business environment.

I have a whole other group of thoughts surrounding the decision about the course from the point of view of an athlete who's registered to race it. Those I'll post later today.

2006-01-25 8:40 AM
in reply to: #331243

User image

Veteran
, Florida
marmadaddy - 2006-01-25 8:29 AM

Brent1812 - 2006-01-25 7:23 AM

Mike, This was my basic response to the SlowTwitch.com thread, sorry! I read this, then went there, made my post and then reposted here! It just pisses me off that all these folks, suppose to be hard corps endurance athletes, get upset because a race is no longer cookie cutter. They are afraid they can't tell their friends they ran a 'Half IronMan' because we ran 2 miles before the bike, and it was counted as part of the 1/2 Mary!" crap! Hell, they should make everyone of the events a hodgepodge, mix it up, then see how good the endurance training is. If you took offense, sorry, but as for the marketing I could care less, they could call it Mickey’s and Goofeys HIM Tri and I was going to do it! You know, it's kind'a like the thread about the M-Dot tattoo, do you get one if it really wasn't a M-Dot race? Kind'a silly! 70.3 miles as compared to 70.3 miles, it all comes out in the end!

My main concern is maintaining civility on these boards. I'm also interested in the business aspect of triathlon and how people make money from what is a phenomenally competitive yet sometimes extremely coorperative business environment.

I have a whole other group of thoughts surrounding the decision about the course from the point of view of an athlete who's registered to race it. Those I'll post later today.

Mike:

There sure are a lot of quotes!

No problem. I do believe I am and have been civil in my comments. I did not, nor do I intend to cause hate and discontent here regarding this subject or any other, civility is paramount in our interactions in the real world as well as the virtual world.

But I stand by my statements. It appears those mostly against this change are for a common reason, ‘It’s not a true Half IronMan!” only because a slight shuffle in the order. As for IMNA, I am sure they have very capable people in their marketing department that have been working with Disney and if they thought it a bad idea, they would not have allowed it. If only 1,500 of the 2,500 slots participate then IMNA will realize a mistake had been made. But, that is out of my echelon and something I have no control over.

I think it will change the dynamics of the race for the good.

Anyway, no harm, no foul!

Brent
2006-01-25 9:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
Just wondering from those who have done this previously and are familiar with the course & changes....
How will this course do with 2600 entrants? That seems like a ton of people for an area like this, not to mention spectators. I'm sure they set this limit as this is probably a popular race for Kona qualifiers/lottery slots to get their mandatory race in due to the calendar location.

2006-01-25 12:11 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

My thoughts as someone doing this as my first Half IM:

Yes, I'm a little disappointed that the run may be shortened. I personally would prefer that it be kept to 13.1 no matter the transition run. Ideally, I'd like it to not have the 2 mile transition run either. That's irrelavant though. I don't believe there's much point in worrying about what I want vs. what I get. What it will come down to is, I'm looking at racing an extremely well organized half Ironman distance triathlon at Disney World. That's a lot.

Triathlon is about many things. One of those things is dealing with and overcoming adversity. Every race throws something at you that wasn't planned for, or is just plain harder than expected. The only rational response is to deal with it and keep going. That's where the greatest rewards lie, in finishing despite the unexpected and just plain hard stuff.

As to the reasons for the changes, I can only assume they're good. Go back to my original post and read what I posted about the RD. This guy doesn't screw around. He makes thoughtful decisions with the athletes as his single most pressing concern. If he's willing to make these kinds of changes to an established, high profile race and risk the ire of athletes and business associates he must believe very strongly that the changes are warranted. It demonstrates very clearly his commitment to the athletes. He must have known he would take a lot of heat from different quarters, but he's convinced it's the best decision for the athletes so he's willing to deal with it.

That tells me all I need to know. Given his CV and the risks he's shown himself willing to take on my behalf as an athlete, if he says this is the best course, then I'm not going to second guess him and I can't think of anyone else I'd rather have as the RD of my first half IM.

Others will disagree with some of what I've written. Ty feels strongly about the format and he has every right to. This race is a big deal for him because of what it represents about his recovery from cancer.  His situation may not be something that was originally considered, but it could have some weight with the race company. I hope he gets a chance to be heard and taken seriously by them.

2006-01-25 2:35 PM
in reply to: #331058

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Brent1812 - 2006-01-24 8:01 PM For Pete’s sake, lighten up, we got troops in harms way and we’re Bi*ching about a f’ing race, get real! If you don’t want to do it, don’t do it, go home and whine ‘cause the race is changed!

What about those of us who are planning to race more than one 70.3 as part of our 2006 season? What if our aspirations are beyond just finishing the race? What if we had the choice to sign between Baja and FL (Both held the same day) and chose FL just for convenience without knowing that the course was going to change?

Anyway, switching the format it is a BIG deal because it changes the format in which at least I’ll be competing at other races… running 2 miles prior the run and then adding 11.2 miles after the bike is not the same as doing 13.2 miles in one shot. Have you ever done one? If your answer is yes you will know how tough those last miles can be and it can either make or break your race…

At this point I just want to get a refund for my entry so someone else who wants to participate in this race can do it and I can switch to race at Baja.

Edited by amiine 2006-01-25 2:44 PM
2006-01-25 7:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Back of the pack breathing hard
Hello all,

I think this is going to be my last post about this topic. I have taken a few days to read all
the posts over and over again. Mull them around on the grey mush for awhile and try to
come to some conclusion. I've read and re-read all the posts here and slowtwitch twice.
(BT is a much better site by the way). I think I have it.

I believe we all have the right and obligation to voice are opinion over this significant change
to the course because we are the ones running in it. Running in it for our own personal reasons.
Trying to squash the discussion by bringing in "the troops" by Brent, I feel was a little off base.
If we followed that rational someone could convince us to stop speaking up saying, "damn it,
there are starving kids in Africa!" or "think about the Katrina victims and stop worrying"
etc etc... We can't stop voicing our opinions, grips and expectations of life just because bad things are happening around the world. Whether we like it or not, things like that are going to continue regardless if we "whine".

That being said. I've decided that I have voiced my opinion, hope that someone listens and
that's all I can do. Now I have to move on and refocus my energy into making this a great enjoyable long distance Triathlon experience for me.

When I was going thru cancer treatment, when I got sick, it was a hurdle I just had to accept
or be defeated by it mentally and physically. I think I may have over reacted a little and lost
sight of the Big Picture. Not that I still don't think the course change is the right thing to do,
but like the cancer, I took what it gave me fought back with what I had and made the best of it.
So that's what I am going to do about this.

I believe I have found a way to make this what I want out of it. I hope the end run will be a
13.1 but if not, I'm planning to double back for 1 mile to add the 2. I'll be able to then cross
the line knowing I've met my own goal. I personaly just want to run a half marathon straight.

So that's that. Keep up the good work in voicing your opinion whether it be for the change
or against. Your the one that has to run your own race.

Good night. PS- Hope the attached photo makes you laugh.

Tyler Darby
"Live'N Strong"
www.aircrewphotos.com

(flight.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
flight.bmp (15KB - 47 downloads)

2006-01-25 8:01 PM

User image

Veteran
, Florida
Ty,

Good luck and Semper Fidelis!

Brent
2006-01-28 4:00 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Ok...I've had a few deep breaths and am better now.  As long as I know that they are going to take the extra 2 miles into consideration for the cut offs, I will be ok.  I realize that I will be running a shorter distance at the end, but psychologically, it does not make all that much of a difference. 

Even with the changes, I am sooo excited about my first HIM and really hope that we can get a BT gathering together before the race. 

2006-02-24 10:05 AM

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: New bike course (again)
Yep - the course has changed again.

Tom Z. was nice enough to let me know about the upcoming changes to the bike course, and I drove it when it when I was down there last week. Two thoughts...

1. Practice your turnarounds - there are six of them now.
2. Florida is not all flat - the big hill on Marsh Road is significantly steep and long, and we have to go over it and back. That said, there is a lot of flat riding, especially around Disney.

It's a shame there's no updates sent out or listed when the course changes, so I'm posting here in case some of you don't check it regularly.

The run course(s) and transition maps seem to be unchanged from the last set.

See y'all there, and wish me luck on that hill.

-Josh
2006-02-24 10:24 AM
in reply to: #353727

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids MI
Subject: RE: New bike course (again)
Thanks for the update - Happy training everyone !!.

Scott
2006-02-24 2:30 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Thanks Josh.  I am so excited about the race.  It will be here before we know it.

2006-02-24 2:42 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Thanks for the update. Yet again I get to know about race changes through a tri-forum and not the organizers. I am amazed that a race like that doesn't take the time to inform their participants about this changes. Oh well, there is nothing I can do about it since is it either racing it or losing most my money. Still, it is a shame that the biggest race production company care so little about their customers...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Florida 1/2 Ironman Rss Feed  

of 3