Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Tel Aviv is Better than Baghdad Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-19 4:52 PM

Rockwall, TX (Dallas area)
Subject: Tel Aviv is Better than Baghdad
So...after my disappointing month in Baghdad (zero real training...almost got killed)...I've been sent to Tel Aviv for a two week stint as the NBC Bureau Correspondent. Except for the terror concerns, Tel Aviv would be a great place for triathlons. I've managed to swim...bike(stationary)...and run almost every day...

Anyone planning a trip...the Hilton Tel Aviv has a great fitness center...sits on the beach with a five mile paved strand...and has a saltwater swimming pool that opens at 5 am.

One more thing...the weather is basically San Diego...sunny...and dry. Overall, not bad at all.

Cheers,

Don

2004-04-19 4:57 PM
in reply to: #20118

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-04-19 5:10 PM

Master
Berkeley, CA
Subject: RE: Tel Aviv is Better than Baghdad
Glad to hear that you survived... again!!

But come on, really--if I'm planning a trip anywhere, it wouldn't be near artillery fire!!!

Welcome back!

Dana
2004-04-19 5:14 PM
in reply to: #20130

The Artillery is mostly in the West Bank and Gaza. Suicide bombers are the concern within Israel...but it's not
nearly as bad as I expected. Most people just go on about their lives here.
2004-04-19 5:16 PM

Master
Berkeley, CA
Oh, your still out there? Ok, then, stay safe & keep in touch!

(We'll worry otherwise... even if it is safer.) I understand about the whole 'going on as if everything is normal'--life goes on, doesn't it?

D
2004-04-19 5:21 PM
in reply to: #20134

It's shocking, actually, how normal this place is. The big difference between here and Iraq (there are many of course)...is that journalists are strictly off limits as targets. We can travel freely in and out of Palestinian areas, without fear of kidnapping etc. The only real fear is being in the wrong place at the wrong time...or getting in the middle of one of those rock throwing rubber bullet shooting matches...but no one is actually shooting at the journalists. In Iraq...Journalists (especially Americans) are marked...so it's not a fun place at all.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Tel Aviv is Better than Baghdad Rss Feed