General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To Brace or not to Brace? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-10 10:37 AM

Regular
Missoula, MT
Subject: To Brace or not to Brace?
Hi all-

This summer I was working at a ranch and while I was riding my horse slipped and fell (we were going a fairly fast pace) and I landed basically on my right knee and right elbow. The knee took the majority of the fall. Add to that the surface I landed on was packed dirt or a rock, I am not quite sure. Immediatley afterwards it was painful and swollen on the inside, becomingly impressively bruised and more swollen two days later. I iced and wrapped it as best as my job would allow me. It stayed swollen and bruised for about 2 weeks, and still had some fluid in it 6 weeks later. This all happen early September.

So now I am starting my training, and for the first three weeks my knee felt fine. I am not a runner and was incorporating running in slowly, a few minutes at a time at a slow jog and now doing 10 or 15 minutes at a time at 5.5 mph. It all was feeling very good until last Friday when suddenly my knee started hurting again. It felt odd in spinning and popped a couple times during the ride, but nothing out of the ordinary or extra painful. So I hopped on the treadmill and did my two miles and felt fine. The next day it was slightly swollen. It remains stiff and sore, but not sharp.

I have been icing it thee to four times a day, taking advil, and taking it easy on the running. It is not a muscular thing (I think), more like it feels like the bone is bruised.

My question is, should I brace it while I workout? I have been bracing it after I ice it which seems to help, but I don't know how often and for how long I should keep it on, or if that is making it worse.

Thanks.

2005-11-10 6:59 PM
in reply to: #282389

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: To Brace or not to Brace?
Hi LauraLee,What does your doctor say? An injury that takes from summer to November to heal is pretty serious. If I were you I would be following doctor's orders. There are some sports doctors on this forum who will undoubtedly reinforce this caution.That said, I am generally opposed to running on an injury that requires a brace but there are exceptions. Lower stress exercise like water running or an elliptical machine would be better starting points if the knee basically healed but needs to be strengthened.Take good care of that knee.TW
2005-11-13 9:41 PM

Regular
Missoula, MT
Unfortunately I am one of the large group of people that cannot afford to go to the doc unless I know it is serious. So I am waiting, though it is not getting any better and and I have completely cut running out of my training for the moment. I am thinking about seeing a doctor in a couple days time if it doesn't feel better with rest. I am hoping my triathlon dreams aren't stopped before they really even started/
2005-11-16 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

If your knee hasn't healed since September, there is something more going on and a brace might not stop your knee pain at all. You could have a cartillage (meniscus) tear from your trauma, hence the popping. These tears can sometimes catch and be painful, causing swelling, but also can remain "dormant" for some time - it just depends on the type activity and the day.

Icing is fine...but if absolutely can't get it checked, it would be a good idea to start some sort of rehab on your knee. If you strengthen the muscles that support the joint, there is less stress for the joint to deal with.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To Brace or not to Brace? Rss Feed