General Discussion Triathlon Talk » RUDE drivers rant Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-11-10 3:46 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RUDE drivers rant

Is it national be rude to cylist day?  Today I was STOPPED...as in unclipped, stopped at an intersection waiting for cars so I could cross the road.  A car stopped directly across from me and I indicated I was going straight across because of course she did not have her signal on.  Now If I was in a car (and I believe the rules of the road are the same on a bike) I should have the right of way because I arrived at the intersection first but that is besides the point.  I wait for her because after a Honda is no match for my 15# bike and she FLIPS ME OFF as she drives past me!!!  How incredibly rude...I was STANDING THERE, not in her way not trying to impead her

THEN later in my ride I am just riding down the road on the right hand side and this idiot in a monster SUV is pulling out from the opposite side of the road diriving in the same direction as me DRIVING ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ROAD and coming across to the right hand side about to hit me, no signal no looking and I'm screaming at him waving my arms trying no not get hit and he has the nerve to blare his horn at me.....So here I am following the rules of the road and these idiots think its ok to just run me down because I'm on a bike.  I'm just so pissed but...Rant Off   You all be safe out there!!!!!

Edited by sue7013 2005-11-10 3:46 PM

2005-11-10 4:30 PM
in reply to: #282721

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
Subject: RE: RUDE drivers rant
That stinks. People think because they are bigger they are always right. Your best bet is to still be cautious and just ignore the idiots.

Here in Sun Valley, when it's sping EVERYONE is on bikes. The bikes actually scare me as they will totally ignore traffic and road signs. Just going straight through stop signs and stop lights because they think the rules don't apply to them.

Stay safe.
2005-11-10 4:40 PM

User image

Master
The real USC, in the ghetto of LA
i just give em a freindly wave....
2005-11-10 4:48 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Apparently, it's the week to be rude to cyclists. I had a friend get run of the road yesterday when he was following the rules of traffic. I really don't understand why people have a problem with bikers being on the road as long as the bikers are following the traffic rules. The bikers who don't follow the rules are a completely different story. Since when is it okay to ride double in the middle of a busy road during rush hour? Arg!
2005-11-10 4:55 PM

Master
Boston
that sounds like a typical day of cycling in south florida. it's not a good ride if I don't flip off 2 or 3 cars during my ride.  
2005-11-10 5:03 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I have been known to throw my bike helmet at a car....

2005-11-10 7:02 PM

User image

taswegia
I just bite my tongue...
Thats due to mouthin off at an idiot in a car last year and they turned around and run me over...
Broke my arm pretty bad
mind you they where caught and charged...
but now I am very carefull...
2005-11-10 7:03 PM

User image

Elite
R U KIDDING? Everybody knows that every day is be rude to cyclist day.

bts
2005-11-11 4:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
A couple of weeks ago I had a experience with a "local" idiot who decided to see how close he could get to me as he passed. Mind you that this was on a road with a bike lane and that I was in the middle of said lane so I would say at least 5 feet from the actual road surface. He pulls up behind me(of course I can hear him coming) and then when he is even with me when he hits his breaks and his horn at the same time. Like I said I heard him coming and sort of expected something so I guess he didn't give the response he wanted so as he drives off he shoots the bird, I return said bird, then he does this "dukes of hazard" power turn. By this time I'm just about ready to give him trouble if he wants it. He turns around, I pull over and get off my bike. He pulls up beside me and begins a profanity laced questioning of my manliness so I lean into his car and say: "Guess what I do for a living?" At this local yokel and girl friend get even stupider looks on their faces. I continued "I'm a county sherriff's deputy, I have already got your licsense number". With this "Gomer" and "Daisy Duke" have these blank looks on their faces, Gomer starts his car as fast as possible and hits the road. Now truth is I'm a high school teacher not a sherriff's deputy, but hey, who can tell dressed in lycra right. I have used this ploy about 5-6 times since I started riding 17 years ago, never fails.
2005-11-11 6:53 AM
in reply to: #282814

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Skull - 2005-11-10 8:02 PM
I just bite my tongue...Thats due to mouthin off at an idiot in a car last year and they turned around and run me over...Broke my arm pretty bad mind you they where caught and charged...but now I am very carefull...

Every time I'm out riding, some idiot passes me way too close and way too fast. I am soooooooo tempted to flip them off, but like you, I bite my tongue, because I'm worried same idiot will do what you just described. Glad you survived it.
2005-11-11 7:32 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

Screw 'em

It's my ride, and my head that I can control.

The world is full of low-life, jackass, sub-idiot mouth-breathing, super big-gulp, pork rind, low carb, H2, rusty camaro, cousin-marrying, going-to-be-on-cops-with-no-shirt someday, stuck-up, clueless,buck-toothed, slack-jawed, nose-picking, cellphone, wal-mart bling-bling, DVD minivan, child slapping, big-mac chomping, fools without enough brains to pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

There's only one me. I'm on my bike. I'm better than them.

I pity the fools. Unless they hit me, then I pity the fools' insurance company.

2005-11-11 7:37 AM
in reply to: #282916

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2005-11-11 8:32 AM

I pity the fools. Unless they hit me, then I pity the fools' insurance company.

Insurance? You have waaaaay too much faith in these "low-life, jackass, sub-idiot mouth-breathing, super big-gulp, pork rind, low carb, H2, rusty camaro, cousin-marrying, going-to-be-on-cops-with-no-shirt someday, stuck-up, clueless,buck-toothed, slack-jawed, nose-picking, cellphone, wal-mart bling-bling, DVD minivan, child slapping, big-mac chomping..." to follow the law.

2005-11-11 8:02 AM

San Francisco East Bay (Pleasanton), CA
Gosh, this thread is sad but true. To me, I just don't understand:

1) Why drivers are so angry in general and especially at bikers? What's gotten 'em so pissed and don't they know life is too short to have that much cortisol in their bloodstream? They're giving themselves heart attacks.

2) Why is it such a huge frustrating thing for them to go a tiny tiny tiny bit slower now and then just to be safe? When I'm driving and I see kids on a sidewalk and I'm near them, I slow down! You never know what can happen, so I slow down. One of the kids could trip and fall into the road so I slow down. Same for a cyclist. When I pass them, I slow down a bit just to have more reaction time. But most people act like I'm some kind of disgusting terrorist or the most annoying thing in the universe just because sometimes they need to go a little slower for me. Like when I'm turning left in a left turn lane. If a car is behind me, yeah, I get a slightly slower start than a car, but it ain't THAT much slower. What's the big deal if it takes a couple more seconds because of me? Is it the end of the world? Sometimes I can tell drivers behind me are bugged coz they swerve around me once we've made the turn and then they gun their engines.

I would think drivers would appreciate us because we're ONE LESS CAR they have to deal with. Alas. It's like when I'm on a bike, I'm not a human being anymore to them.

People are very short-sighted and impatient. It's killing them and making them miserable. Meanwhile I'll stay on my bike and when they get bugged, just remind myself that I'm enjoying the day on my bike and that I respect them even if they're not smart or mature enough to respect me. :--)

That being said, I must say drivers here in Northern California are much much much more enlightened and bike-friendly than any other place I've ever lived. I think it's part higher consciousness about healthful activities and part that you're personally liable in CA in accidents. That means insurance is there but an injured person can go after whatever you own. A lot of people here have a lot to lose. One smack into a cyclist and there goes your $850K condo. :--)

--Kandice
2005-11-11 9:08 AM

User image

Veteran

Sue, glad you managed to dodge two bullets.

My story: this morning, a friend and I were riding on a local University campus. In short, a driver and four passengers came roaring out of a parking lot without any hesitation. I had that terribly uneasy feeling as his car came closer to the point we would intersect that he was not going to stop, much less look, so I started slowing. I was also yelling "stop" but this didn't have any impact either. His stupidity forced me over in the lane on upcoming traffic.  He finally slowed down but only to allow me back over and then tailgate me. I was furious! This entire event took place in a matter of seconds but the outcome could have been disastrous. Especially if it had taken place later in the day when traffic is much higher.

I managed to get his tag number and will call the police. This is lunacy!

2005-11-11 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Some drivers aren't just idiots to cyclist, but also to other drivers.  This morning in rush hour traffic, a white Sprint pickup cut me off.  The driver was yapping on his cell phone.  No signal.  Just cut right in front of me.  I slammed on the brakes.  On the back of his truck I saw a "How's my driving?" sign and an 800 #.  I'm making the phone call now!

TJ

2005-11-11 9:43 AM

User image

, Texas
I started cycling to work (25 mi round trip) 2-3 days per week in September. 1 mile of this commute is on a pretty busy hwy where I ride on the fog line 1 foot from the curb. Other than this, I'm on low(er) traffic roads with the majority being multi-laned. I've had a few minor issues, but nothing worth writing about.

I think may autos don't like cyclists because they do not feel they belong on the roads. I know the law says otherwise, but how many actually read all of the laws?

Also, there is a high number of cyclists that do not obey the traffic laws (ie blatent running of stop signs and red lights) and this doesn't help the "image" of the cyclist.

2005-11-11 10:25 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Geez I guess it really was be rude to cyclists day yesterday!!!! 
2005-11-11 11:26 AM

Expert
NC Illinois
Jerks are jerks, whether they're riding or driving. I've seen both. Some folks ride with no regard to anyone else or traffic laws, some drivers do the same. IMO, we tend to notice more on the bike, b/c we're the "prey" in that situation. We're vulnerable, so we're more cautious.

--------------------------------
that sounds like a typical day of cycling in south florida. it's not a good ride if I don't flip off 2 or 3 cars during my ride.

My only problems with that are ...

[1] someone is going to use YOUR behavior as the measuring stick for ALL cyclists.

• .. and possibly ...

• [2] they're gonna take it out on someone else (another cyclist)

I've never really understood the whole point of "the finger". It's over-rated. By flipping the car off, you probably did little else but make the drivers' day b/c know they know they got to you.
    -------------------------------------

I have been known to throw my bike helmet at a car....

Again, useless. The result, now you have to go track down your helmet, and you likely made the jerk drivers' day.

To me, unless you're ready to take serious action, like a bonafide fight or filing charges, I don't see the point i doing much. Flipping someone off, throwing ahelmet, just seems like sticking your tongue out at a bear and making that "Pfffffftttt" sound. Useless.

-------------------------------------

As one poster pointed out in this thread .... when add fuel to the situation, YOU ARE the one that's gonna get burned.

I guess I am extremely fortunate to have never had an incident with a car ... course I only ride on very lightly traveled roads (my preference). I have seen some cyclist ride down the side of a 4-lane road during lunch hour, with lots of cars turning in and out of gas stations/restaurants, and I'm just thinking "right or wrong, the bike is the one that's gonna get hurt". MOF, I was driving behind one of the folks, who was weaving in and out of parked and moving cars while in aero, never looking back, and I must say the cars behind him went out of their way to keep from hitting him. One of those things you notice when (based on what you hear) you expect every driver to do everything they can to run the cyclist off the road.

Tip: wave to everyone, get them used to seeing you out there ... and they'll start to look out for you. They'll also think you're somewhat friendly, and since many folks are like mirrors, they'll reflect the sentiment.
    2005-11-11 12:19 PM

User image

Master
    Tampa, Fl
    This is so wierd. I missed this yesterday but I actually got bumped off the road by an A-hole driver. I was riding down a local street that goes to the Air Force base here and was riding on the side and an old truck pulled up even with me about 6 inches away and there was no traffic in the other lane. I figured I would just slow down and let him get passed me. he slows down then jerks the wheel so he bumps me and pushes me off the road. Luckily I was able to just lay the bike down in the grass but I could have been seriously hurt. And worse I was so pissed I broke my helmet. It might have been worth it if the guy would have stopped and gotten out of his truck but those type never do.
    Sorry I'm a day late but just had to rant. and that is a wierd coincidence about yesterday.
    2005-11-11 12:20 PM

User image

Georgetown, TX
    My husband has a few good stories – I’ll share one. He’s riding in the bike lane and hears a vehicle coming up behind. It’s a pickup truck and as it pulls along side him, the truck slows down to his bicycle speed (knowing Brian, probably about 20 mph), and the passenger leans out his open window and yells “HEY” right in Brian’s face. Even though he knew the truck was up to something, he said it really startled him. The truck sped off after that, but then got caught at a red light. Brian slowed down as he approached the intersection and waited for the light to turn green. The pickup was waiting behind a few cars and Brian accelerated and as he came up next to the truck, he slammed his hand on the roof of the truck and yelled “HEY” in the passenger window (it was still open). He said the driver had seen him approaching and was laughing, but the passenger (who had yelled at Brian) jumped off his seat and screamed, almost hitting his head on the cab ceiling. Brian made a quick turn at the intersection and the truck went on its way. Maybe Brian should have “turned the other cheek”, but what an opportunity to simply give that guy a taste of his own medicine!
    2005-11-11 12:31 PM

User image

Pro
    Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
    I have two big problems with Ohio.
    1) Why do people think that turn signals are optional? Does my cycling helmet channel your brain waves? i have no clue where you're going. I'll tell you where I'm going, if you'll tell me where you're going, and we'll be cool.

2) Lack of shoulders on some roads. So I hug the white line for all it is worth, but several times crusing around, cars feel the need to test how close they can get to my bike, and usually if it looks like theyre getting too close, I'll off road it for a second, but when it's a huge 18 wheeler cruising 2 inches from my bars and sucking me into its air stream, I've got two options : concrete sandwhich, or sewage ditch.

2005-11-11 12:36 PM

User image

Master
    Tampa, Fl
    All day yesterday after my incident all I could think about was unclipping my shoe and kicking a big hole in a car with my size 14 shoe and big metal cleat.
    And I was mad because he made me lose my temper and my helmet is now broken.
    2005-11-11 12:43 PM

Veteran
    Michigan

My thought is that the drivers who are rude to cyclists are just jealous and have a whole lot of personal issues to deal with.  I believe karma will catch up with them.  I think that kindness and consideration to others will result in good things and these rude drivers probably are just miserable people to begin with.

This sort of related...I think these drivers who are rude to cyclists are the same people who practically run children down in the school zone.  90% of the time it is someone driving an SUV and talking on a phone.  Why can't people slow down and enjoy a few extra seconds actually talking to their children instead of speeding around with the cell phone attached to their heads?  I am actually anti-cell phone - but that is a whole other topic!

2005-11-11 12:56 PM

Master
    Brooklyn, NY
    I witnessed one of the sweetest incidents involving a bike and a car. There was guy on a bike about 50 yards ahead of me (I had been trying to close in on for a while but the dude was haulin' ars).
    Anywho, this car that had just passed me (for whatever reason), came so close to the biker, I cringed and thought he was a gonner. The biker flipped him the bird and the car slowed and blocked the biker, leaving no way out but to stop and they both went at it verbally and getting worst real fast (by this time I had caught up and was ready to back up the biker).

THIS IS WHERE IT TURN SWEET
    All of a sudden, christmas lights go off from behind me and we hear "GET BACK IN YOUR CAR OR I'LL ARREST YOU". The cop had some lengthly conversation which involved writing something on a little black book he had with him.
    After that, I had a riding partner for a about an hour, we shook hands then parted our ways.

THE END.

PS: to bad this doesn't happen very often
    2005-11-11 2:15 PM
    in reply to: #283125

Expert
    NC Illinois
    My thought is that the drivers who are rude to cyclists are just jealous and have a whole lot of personal issues to deal with.

I bet very few are jealous of triathletes/cyclists. Truth be told, triathletes/cyclists could disappear off the face of the earth tomorrow and few would notice.

Most people probably just think that the streets are for vehicles, not bikes. We tend to over-estimate our (triathletes) importance/influence.

Truth be told, when drivers see a 5'7 150 pound guy wearing loudly colored-spandex w/ shaved legs, riding a bike that the driver feels is a little "too much" in the road, "jealousy" isn't the first thought/emotion that they probably feel.

Jerks are jerks. Not sure there's ever any way to fully comprehend their thinking.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » RUDE drivers rant Rss Feed  

of 2