United States
Mellow Productions
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 52m 30s
Overall Rank = 884/3131
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 33/56
Pre-race routine:

Got up with a good three and a half hours until race start. Got myself a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter and a banana, took a quick shower, got dressed and I was on my way.
Event warmup:

Didn't really have a plan to meet up with Brad and Andrew so I figured I'd just wander around until I saw them. As luck would have it Brad found me less than 10 seconds after I got out of my Jeep. We found the timing chips and I lost Brad in the crowd. Found a spot to stretch and try to clear my mind. I wanted to do good today but at the same time I knew my body wasn't up for a peak performance after the last two weekends. Got a cup of water and ate my Gu packet as I walked to the starting line. I wanted to start out slow so I seeded myself near the 11:00/mile sign.
Run
  • 1h 52m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out slower than I normally would have, but that's what I needed to do today. Less than half a mile into the race it happened. I'm not sure exactly how to describe it but the same thing had happened to me on my last two runs earlier in the week. My shins felt almost numb, my calves felt like they had been working for hours and my feet felt like they would fall off at the ankle. This same thing happened on both of my runs this week and I had to cut both of them short because of it so I was afraid that it would happen today.

I put up with the discomfort until just after the mile 2 marker when I finally had to stop. I tried to strech out my calves and massage the muscles around my shins to relieve the pain but it didn't do much good. I would run for maybe 100 feet and it would come right back. Finally at the 5K mark I saw the porta-potties and stopped to pee. One because I had to pee and wouldn't put up with anything like that in an non-'A' race and two, it was an excuse to stop for a second.

I wasted a good minute and a half taking care of business. Got back to my jog and felt good....for all of a minute. My legs just wouldn't work they way I was used to. Nothing was working. I had to give serious thought to dropping out. I could walk the whole race and finish, but I'm also the guy with the huge flag! How embarassing would it be to walk the whole way while drawing that much attention to myself. My new mantra became, "Just get to the next mile marker."

Somewhere between miles 5 and 6 my legs started to loosen up. I had kept a steady jog for two miles without stopping and I was starting to get into a rhythm. So I picked up my pace and tried to start making up for lost time. By now we were out of the neighborhoods and back to running around the lake which I enjoyed much more. My splits were dropping; 8:10, 7:52. I could still salvage the day! I wasn't even thinking about my shins anymore. They were still sore, but I didn't know it.

Came over the bridges and saw the girl from Luke's Locker whose name I can never remember (I'm horrible with names and faces and always feel bad about it). I slowed for a second and we talked about our now finished tri-seasons. It was really good to talk to someone and get my mind off of running for a minute. Passing her I came across Gary(ghart2) just a few hundred meters later! I didn't even know he was going to be running today! Finally this was starting to feel like a normal day. I miss seeing all my tri-race friends each weekend!

So Gary and I talked for a minute or two. He was holding a really good pace and didn't look tired at all. He was even planning on doing a few extra miles after the finish! Pulling an Aaron; that's what I love to see! So if it took me this long to catch him and he was running more afterwards I had to have a strong finish to save face. I was holding 8:00 miles but just didn't have it in me to keep it up.

I had to finally start walking the aid stations again (out of exhaustion instead of pain). I hated this feeling after going so strong for so long at Marine Corps Marathon last weekend. But what was done was done. Made it to the turn where I bonked last year and knew that I'd break my course record and half marathon PR today. Even had enough left for a sprint at the end.

Results: The results were organized by gun time and not chip time! I can understand using gun time to determine the cash awards, whoever crossed the finish first is the winner, but for the rest of us this just isn't fair. According to the results I finished behind people I ran faster than. Crazy. So I just missed top half of my AG but got top third overall and a half marathon PR by 7 minutes. Course PR by 22 minutes (I had a horrible race here last year.) Good but still disappointing. I did the first half of MCM in 1:44 last week. I know I can break 1:35 if I really try. So that will just have to be my goal for the rest of marathon season now.
What would you do differently?:

Proper rest.
Post race
Warm down:

Had to take my shoe off and untie my speedlaces because the woman collecting the chips couldn't get it untied herself. Found Brad and Andrew and his crazy family and talked with Matt for a second. Had myself two breakfast burritos and a banana before filling my jersey pocket with free mini-Clif bars. Walked to my car and talked with another triathlete who knew that's what I did by my tan lines (damn short running shorts). All in all it was a good day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had a HIM and a sub-4:00 marathon in the two weeks leading up to this race. Just being able to finish it really should be enough. But it never seems to end for me.

Event comments:

Okay race. I like it because of the venue. Nice sized field/crowds and good organization. Only complaint is that the results are done by gun time and not chip time. I'll be back again next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-08-16 12:00 AM
Running
01:52:30 | 13.1 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/56
Overall: 884/3131
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2.5
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-11-11 1:23 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2005-11-11 7:36 AM
in reply to: #282877

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: The Half

Good job, way to make the best of it.
I'm guessing your body was just tried and couldn't push it after the marathon the week before.

2005-11-11 9:14 AM

Veteran
Dallas, TX
Nice seeing you out there.  I had been looking for you for a long time and then when we ran by one of the bands I heard the guy say "Here comes the American flag".  I didn't even need to turn around to know who it was. 
2005-11-11 9:30 AM

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Even in the face of adversity, you ran a great race!  Good job, Aaron!
2005-11-12 10:16 AM

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Good job, Aaron!  Sometimes the ones you need to tough out are the hardest!

Give the legs a break, okay?  They're tired...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Half Rss Feed