General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much will this slow me down? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-11 6:23 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: How much will this slow me down?
I am doing the Philly Marathon next weekend but about two and a half weeks ago I felt the beginnings of a stress fracture in my left big toe after a great couple weeks of speedwork. I decided to nip this in the bud and cut out running to keep it from getting worse. I have done alot of cycling on my trainer the last three weeks and no running. My foot feels ready to go but how much will this effect my race? This is my second marathon and I was hoping to run about 3:30-3:45.

Edited by southwestmba 2005-11-11 6:24 PM

2005-11-12 5:12 AM
in reply to: #283251

Online or Offline
Subject: RE: How much will this slow me down?

How do you know for sure it's a stress fracture? If it feels better, then do you know if the "fracture" is healed? Wouldn't you expect it to refracture under the pounding stress of a marathon?

Go to a doctor. Good luck!

2005-11-12 9:04 AM

Champion
South Jersey
Sorry to hear about your foot. I've recently read that just because the pain has subsided, it doesn't mean the fracture has disappeared. However, that being said, I've read about plenty of people who have done marathons with stress fractures and other injuries. I am not a marathon runner nor have I ever had a stress fracture, but I just wanted to give my two cents. Hopefully you can get to a doc this week and get xray/mri results back before the race to determine a good plan of action and if he/she thinks it's okay to run.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
2005-11-12 12:06 PM

Veteran
I thought mine was a stress fracture too, but it turned out, it was swelling in the metatarsil area due to a flattened fat pad on the ball of my foot. Definitely find out what it is, and if it's not a stress fracture, the doctor rigged up something for my foot and on my shoe enabling me to finish the NYC Marathon last weekend.
Good luck in Philly! I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines!
One and done.
writers2
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much will this slow me down? Rss Feed