Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Out of Service Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-20 12:49 PM

Veteran
Rutland Ohio (South Eastern Ohio)
Subject: Out of Service
Last weekend when I was on a training run I rolled my ankle. This has happened lots of times before, but this time was quite a bit different...I heard something crunch! :-( I went to the Dr's and basically they say it is a bad sprain/minor fracture and that I will not be able to run for 4-6 weeks at the earliest. My first PT appointment is tomorrow morning. Now instead of looking forward to my next race, I am looking forward to getting to walk without crutches. Hopefully I will be able to get back into racing soon.

There was no real outstanding events that contributed to my ankle roll. The trail was a little rough, being a combination of old pavement, gravel and grass, but nothing abnormal. My only suggestion for all the other people training out there is to be careful of footing, and keep streching properly.

2004-04-20 12:58 PM
in reply to: #20304

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-04-20 1:00 PM

Subject: RE: Out of Service
Sorry about your ankle!! Get lots of rest off of it, and come back fighting!
2004-04-20 1:09 PM

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Sorry about the ankle. I can empathize with you because I often turn my ankle and am usually off for about a month. Last time was in Italy in May stepping off a sidewalk..."oh" must have thought the witnessing Italians, "look at the the silly looking tourist hopping around on one foot shouting obsenities."
2004-04-20 2:27 PM

Pro
St Charles, IL
Oi, I feel your pain ( literally ). I did the same thing about a year and a half ago. Mine wasn't even doing anything training related, just sheer not paying attention to the treeroot in the yard.

It made a nice crunching sound too. Fortunately I didn't break anything, but I've really stretched out the tendons and ligaments in my ankle now ( I also have many years of soccer and lacrosse ankle turns too ).

Keep with the PT. Do the silly ankle circles. They'll really help, and you'll get back on your feet ( hah! ) sooner if you stick to the regimine.

I still use an ankle brace occsionally ( such as now, as I turned it again last week running outside... *sigh* ), but other than that, it hasn't hampered my training much at all.

Here's wishing you a speedy and healthy recovery!

-Chris
2004-04-20 9:22 PM

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Craig, I am so sorry to hear about your mishap. I too suffer from chronic ankle sprains, and even had surgery in '97 to repair the ligaments. It still rolls on occasion, but not nearly as often as before. Unfortunately, the last time I rolled it I also broke it and it has taken me 2 years to get back into a groove again.

So do your PT and follow the dr's advice, you'll be back in no time.

2004-04-21 12:21 PM
in reply to: #20395

Veteran
Rutland Ohio (South Eastern Ohio)
Thanks for all of the encouragement. I'll do all of the prescribed exercises and will hopefully be back on my feet soon. My PT said I could start biking as soon as the pain will allow, but I think it will take some time for the swelling to go down so I can actually get my foot in my shoe. I appreciate all of your support and relating stories.

Craig
2004-04-21 1:37 PM
in reply to: #20501

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
don't forget to keep it elevated, and use ice.  anti-inflammatories are in order as well, but you probably already know this.  Stay here, we'll get you thru this 
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Out of Service Rss Feed