General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » getting back into it! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-15 3:50 PM

Subject: getting back into it!
Not sure if there are any others out there, but I thought this would be a good place to look. I am not new to triathloning. I have finished about 20 triathlons of varying distances (longest being Olympic distance), but the last one I did was about 3 1/2 years ago! I miss training a lot!! I couldn't find adequate time to train, because I was finishing medical school and starting a residency which required about 80+ hours of work a week. Fortunately, I didn't sit around too much. In that time I ran a marathon and recently a 1/2 marathon.
I miss triathlons sooo much and now my schedule is lightening up a bit and am anxious to get started again this spring. I feel out of touch with it and will need some support getting back into it, especially with biking. I was never a great biker and find that I need the most motivation and time to go out and bike.
So, any other residents out there triathloning in your (not so) spare time?
Secondly, any other triathletes out there who took a hiatus?
Anyone willing to lend support is appreciated!!
Thanks!

2005-11-15 4:29 PM
in reply to: #285407

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: getting back into it!

Hey surggrl1 (Missy),

Wecome to BT!  Sounds like you have a great background in triathlon.  This is a good place to get and give advice.  So chime in when you're ready.

2005-11-16 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Welcome to the group...sound's like you have all the experience and just need to get back into it.  Can't offer much advice since I'm new; but, good luck training and let us know how it's going.  :-)
2005-11-16 4:13 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
Welcome to the site and good luck to you.
2005-11-16 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, MO
Welcome to BT! This is a very good place to get the motivation and advice you need. Ditto on the "giving" comment, though.

I'm back to triathlon training from a hiatus as well. Never competed in actual triathlons, like you, though. My gap was about 10 years. I've kept up with running, and biking to a lesser extent. But swimming...need I say more.

And fitting in training time is definitely a challenge. I have three kids (9, 7, and 5) that I absolutely refuse to take time away from. And a wife, church, and a job that can't be neglected either. Most mornings, I get up at 5 AM, and can fit in a good workout before work. Saturday mornings are good for long bike rides. One of the kids and my favorite weekend activities is to go to our local HS track...I run while the kids play on the football field or the pole vault mat. My 9 year old even runs with me sometimes. Swimming with the kids is a regular Sunday afternoon activity...it's preceded by watching Dad swim laps for 15 - 20 minutes. The point...you have to be creative.

Good luck!
2005-11-17 11:55 AM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.

Glad you're giving it a tri again It's hard to make a transition back to an active lifestyle. I played high school sports and intramurals like crazy in college, and after a few years of walking the dog as my main exercise, getting back into shape has been challenging. Keep it up! You'll feel so much better!

2005-11-17 2:20 PM

Thanks for the support! I already feel better knowing that I'm starting to train again and already have a goal! I've always had the lifelong goal of IM and maybe in a year or two that could be! I watched Hawaii IM coverage on NBC last weekend and had chills (as well as crying about the guy who has ALS and the girl with the amputation). Well, I let you guys know how it goes...if I can figure it out, you can follow my blog.
Thanks!
2005-11-20 10:13 AM

User image

Champion
Hey, Missy. I'm a third year Internal Medicine resident and just picked up doing triathlons earlier this year. Trust me when I say that I feel your pain. Like you, I try to be active when my schedule allows and try not to beat myself up when I just need some rest. It's getting harder and harder to take a day or two off now that I'm used to doing some kind of training on a daily basis. It does help that it doesn't feel like a chore to go for a run anymore, so it's kinda therapeutic for me. Since you're experienced already, I'm sure it's good stress relief for you as well.

Well, you don't need any advice from me since you're far more experienced at this than I am, but feel free to vent anytime.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » getting back into it! Rss Feed