General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Yay! Finally got to register! Hello triathletes! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-21 6:28 AM

User image

Regular
South Carolina
Subject: Yay! Finally got to register! Hello triathletes!
Hello everyone!

I've been trying to register for a couple days but apparently that was blocked at work, so here I am at 6 am before work registering at home. Ha.

I guess I'll just cut to the chase. About a month ago, I somehow got it into my head that I wanted to do a triathlon. I really don't know where it came from, unless it was something I randomly saw in a Shape magazine or something, but I had this urge to test my limits in a triathlon. It's kind of weird because I neither run or swim on a regular basis, and I do not bike at all. But, I felt that this goal would be too difficult to reach without personal training, which I can't afford. So I banished it from my thoughts.

At the same time, me and my family have been dealing with my grandmother getting suddenly diagnosed with cancer in February. Watching the disease progress and take over my once vibrant grandmother has been heartbreaking. My grandmother refused chemo & radiation treatments, and for good reason--the disease had progressed so far and at her age it would have probably killed her or made her more sick before she died. As of this weekend, we realized we were witnessing truly the final days of her life. Right now, she is in the process of dying (according to our hospice manual) and there's nothing we can do about it. It is just time.

On Sunday afternoon, the day after I stayed all night with her taking care of her, I was back at my house cleaning up junk mail and I found an envelope about "Teams in Training" for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Organization. My grandmother's cancer is lymphoma, and I thought it was kind of eerily fateful, so I opened up the envelope and read what the program was about. Basically, the org. offers training for tri's, marathons, and cycling events in exchange for your fundraising efforts. 75% or more of money raised goes towards finding a cure for these cancers.

I knew I couldn't save my grandmother now...but if there had been a cure, she would have been able to survive...

So in her honor, and to help the people that are surviving now w/these cancers and those that will come, I would like to do this program. I actually haven't gone to the first informational meeting yet, but it just seems to fit...

So anyway, that's why I'm tri-ing. Because I feel like Someone Somewhere was trying to tell me something all along, and this is a way I can reach my fitness goals, but more importantly, help others.

This board really seems great! Can't wait to get started.

~Phoenix

2004-04-21 6:57 AM
in reply to: #20434

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Yay! Finally got to register! Hello triathletes!
Hallo Phoenix!
We were introducing ourselves at about the same time. I am very, very sorry for your grandmother. Thank you so much for sharing this with us! It reminded me that I have obligation - to live to the fullest!
I wish you the best!
Sanjana
2004-04-21 9:24 AM

Regular
north end of vancouver island, BC, Canada
Greetings
It seems that different events in our lives bring to triathaloning. Regardless, once we get here it is a road travelled that will ultimately change our lives, for the better for sure.
I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Welcome to this site. I am new too and have learned alot here. The support, inspiration and information provided by the people of the site is unmatched !!!!

Take care,
Dolly
2004-04-21 9:49 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Hey there and welcome! :-) I am truly sorry for your grandmother, but it certainly sounds like she has some great family members around!

Team in Training is an awesome group! I trained for a marathon with them last year - it was a great experience! Some people worry about the money they have to raise, but it is absolutely easy to do (and TNT provides you a mentor to give you ideas). It really does sound like you are being inspired somehow!

Good luck with your training! Keep us posted on your progress!
2004-04-21 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Welcome Phoenix! What a nice tribute to your grandmother! I'm sure she is very proud of you. My fiance's dad died of cancer last year and the process sounds much the same as your grandmother--refused radiation and chemo because of the late stage, was in home hospice care for a while, and was gone only three months after diagnosis. My heart goes out to your family during this difficult time.

Best of luck with your training and welcome to the site!

Kelly
2004-04-21 1:52 PM

Veteran
Colorado
Welcome from another who aspires to be a triathlete!
Your story was inspiring to read - we all come from such different places. My sympathy goes out to you and your family over the illness and death of your grandmother. How wonderful that you can find some good to come of it as a way to honor her.
Hope you enjoy the board as you work your way to your goals!

2004-04-21 2:38 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX

Welcome, Phoenix!  Sorry for your grandmother. 

I've been training for a while and wanted to do the longer distance races.  Problem I had was that it seemed selfish for me to spend that much time training for something that I was going to be the only one getting any benefit from.  Then a friend of mine who had luekemia passed away and it struck me that I could do the TNT thing and help people out.  I'm signing up for the TNT program to get ready for the fall races.

It's a great bunch here, though we are a bit nuts . . .

Keep your spirits up . . .

TB

2004-04-21 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Welcome, Phoenix!

It sounds like you have a really wonderful relationship with your grandmother, and I'm really happy for you. It must be so sad to be with her in the last days, but satisfying for her to know that you all love her very much. I think that Team in Training is a great way to honor her life. I know many who have been a part of TNT and it was a life-changing and life-affirming experience.

Keep us in touch,
Dana
2004-04-21 5:14 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
yes...welcome!  team in training is a great organization...hope you like the sport.
2004-04-21 11:00 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho

Is Phoenix your name, if it is that is way cool!  Welcome to the site and hope the TRI goes well.

2004-04-22 6:33 AM

User image

Regular
South Carolina
Thank you everyone for your warm welcomes!

Actually, Phoenix is not my real name, but has been my online name for years. It actually isn't because I'm from Phoenix, AZ or anything...it's because when I was getting married to my husband, who is Chinese, I was getting on wedding chatboards, and in China, a phoenix represents the bride and a dragon the groom, so that's why I named myself Phoenix for my online name and it has stuck.

2004-04-22 3:49 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-04-26 11:49 AM

Regular
Gulfport, MS
You will be so glad you did this! TNT is awesome. I will be training for the century bike ride in Lake Tahoe for 2005.
Terri
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Yay! Finally got to register! Hello triathletes! Rss Feed