General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-21 1:38 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
Subject: Hip
Hello all,

I figured I would start my own thread rather than Hijacking Stephanie's from last week again.

I whined my way into the ortho-physiatrist's office (an orthopedic who does not usually operate but works with remediation and prevention) before my initial June appointment. He is excellent - if you are in the Denver area and need his info - email me.

I have tight muscles from my hip to knee (forgot the name) which aggravated the bursa over some bone (again - forgot the name of it). The site of the bursa does not hurt until he pushes on it - the pain is up at the point of muscle insertion. He gave me a cortisone injection in the bursa (ouw!) and a directive to PT.

The x-rays showed a slight lateral curvature of my spine that causes one side of my hips to be slightly higher than the other (my jeans always zip to the left of my navel). Also pronounced turn of my tail bone (not too out of ordinary, he said - common in gymnasts and dancers (neither of which I am, but I was flattered)).

He did not think I needed to stop training for the tri, but recommended to continue not to run while there was pain. He did think it funny that my response to an injury was to sign up for a triathalon.

I guess I don't have a question for y'all, but wanted to tell someone and my mom was not home.

Mary

2004-04-21 2:43 PM
in reply to: #20522

User image

NW Suburbs of Chicago
Subject: RE: Hip
Was it IT Band Syndrome [aka ITBS] that he said was your diagnosis?

I had that a couple of years ago while training for a marathon.
ITBS is a very common injury among runners and triathletes.
Lots of good info on the web on it.

I had a cortisone shot and decreased my training but did not stop running.
I also stretched and got sports massages which also helped.

Hope you are rehabed soon!

2004-04-21 3:00 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Well, I hope it works out and that you get back to wellness! PT is awesome, in my opinion. Of course, you need a good PT, but I think it is amazing what PT can do! Good luck
2004-04-21 3:14 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
Trochanteric Bursitis was the diagnosis. It appears to be related to ITBS in that it involves the same muscles.

While I was winging about bursitis being an old person's problem, I looked up online and found that the word "trochanter" is the Greek word for "a runner." However, I was a complete slug when I first got the problem after a night of salsa dancing on high heeled - red anne Klien slingbacks.

There is no way I could take the pain of impact in running right now, not that I ever really did.
2004-04-21 11:08 PM
in reply to: #20564

User image

Elite
Reno
Subject: question on cortisone injections
Hello

ok, since my cortisone injection this morning, my pain has escallated and I am a limping pathetic idiot now - my neighbor had to take my dog downstairs to pee. Is it normal for the pain to increase while the injection is marinating? Can I expect it to get better tomorrow?

Mary
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip Rss Feed