Telos
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 26m 57s
Overall Rank = 151/211
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 11/12
Pre-race routine:

Good breakfast, wondered if I ate too much but ended up being good as I ate about three hours before event. Had about an hour and ten minute drive. Thought it would take longer to get there so I had time to drive the course that was helpful, one big hill for bike ride, (two loops).
Event warmup:

Stretch then several 100 yd'son bike, stretch, several 100 yd run, final stretches
Swim
  • 10m 29s
  • 383 yards
  • 02m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a reverse tri so swim was last event. Race was advertised as 300 meter swim and then shortly before start of race it was announced that we would do 350 meter swim instead. Transition was from outside bike area across street inside fitness center and to pool. Did not time my transition or pool swim. Total time from end of bike to end of race was 14:29, estimate transition was about 4 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Push myself harder in pool. I felt pretty good with swim, could have gone a little harder. Improve transitions
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Reverse tri so T1 was run to bike. had a little bit of a hard time getting helmet on, also didn't position my bike real good, seat got caught up on storage bar. Had an energy gel with a swig of water.

Position bike better, need to adjust strap on helmet
Bike
  • 41m 7s
  • 10 miles
  • 14.59 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike portion was ok, but the hill (x 2), was a killer. Didn't push myself as hard as I could have on flat portion trying to save myself for the hill. Bike did give me some time to recover from run.

Push harder
Transition 2
  • 04m
Comments:

I'm calling T 2 bike to swimming. Swimming pool was across the street. I was pretty slow in this transition.

Remember that transitions are part of the race, not a time to rest, I'll catch on
Run
  • 29m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was hardest part of race for me, I was fairly tired at the end. Though pace is nothing to write home about, it is an improvement for me compared to 5K earlier in Simmer so I'm pleased with that.

Just more training
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, had some hot chocolate and oranges, gentles stretches then warm shower before heading home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience, need to focus on better traing routines to improve speed, and endurance

Event comments:

This was my first triathalon, and yes, I am hooked. I think I qualify as a triathalete, though my goal remains just having a good time, enjoying the comraderie, and staying in shape. Entering the comments here in race report a little late, (3 weeks after the race). did want some record of my thoughts on race as I now look to next one in Spring.

Last updated: 2005-11-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:29 | 383 yards | 02m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/211
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 50 meter pool, 7 lengths, water was warm, though I didn't mind.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:03
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:07 | 10 miles | 14.59 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: Fairly nice course, around the same loop twice. Fairly steep hill (up), very poor transition with gears into the hill both times. I was able to bike the whole way, lots ended up walking bike up this steep portion of course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:18 | 03.11 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Course: Slight grade down hill until 1-1 /2 mile where had a uphill segment. Fairly flat rest of way after hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes