General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » new college student! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-26 11:18 AM

Regular
Hollywood, CA
Subject: new college student!
hey everybody,
I am a former cross country runner in high school who stopped running. A few months ago my friend signed up for the turkey trot on thanksgiving (10k) and I felt like signing up as well. I trained and did it in the freezing cold on thanksgiving day, and now all the good feelings of crossing a finish line are coming back!!!

My goal is to train for a half marathon in april, but I am eyeing a sprint triathlon later next summer. I think it would be amazing to do something no one in my family has done. My stepdad runs, my stepsister qualified for the Boston Marathon, but no one could do this!!

The running part is no problem. Swimming is a big issue and I need to work on it. I have a bike, but it's a mountain bike and I'm not sure what to do in that department. Anyway I was glad to see there's a site for beginners like me!

--Kristen

2005-11-26 12:11 PM
in reply to: #292333

User image

Pro
Reston
Subject: RE: new college student!
welcome kristen. you'll find lots of great advice on this site, and plently of beginners like yourself. clearly the running aspect of this sport will be your bread and butter. for swimming, look into Total Immersion (totalimmersion.com) it will help you with the "runners can't swim" problem that a lot of people have. and don't worry about the mountain bike. you can definitely do a triathlon on a mountain bike; many people do. there are things you can do (change the knobby tires to slicks, for example) to make the bike more road friendly. good luck with your training!
2005-11-27 3:17 AM

User image

Master
Michigan
Welcome fellow Michiganer, there are alot of us here. Congrats on doing to trot, cause it was COOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.
2005-11-27 1:24 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

The Michigan Mafia is HUGE and a whole lot of fun.

Welcome to BT and good luck!

2005-11-27 8:34 PM

Expert
Fort Bragg
Kristen,
Since you're in college, you should look for a local tri club. I know that many large universities have tri clubs. Tri clubs are great for networking and training. I've learned a lot from my local club in swim stroke, dealing with hills and cadence in cycling, and doing bricks to help with the run.

Steve
2005-11-28 12:03 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
I wisih i went to a bigger uni so that people didn't look at me like I was mad when I mentioned tris or showed up in my running tights to class.

That's my tip...learn to squeeze training in between class. I'm a master of biking between classes or running between classes or doing homework between classes so that I can run later that night. It's just that you've got to really get creative with your time.

2005-11-29 1:20 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Kristen - welcome to the site!!!!-  Never too many MSU alums here....I"m Rochester-Hills based, and - as Jen mentioned, there are a ton of us that get together, race, and train in Michigan.  We'll get together a few times over the winter for group runs, swims, or general BS...hopefully you'll be able to join us. Check the Michigan forum for upcoming events, dates, and times. 

A little closer to home, though, mitrigirl and Trixie are close (in E. Lansing) and are active year-round - Trix in particular is a strong cyclist, runner, and is working on her swim over the winter.   I'll send 'em a PM to see if y'all can get together for a run or something.  Best of luck training, and we'll look forward to meeting you and tracking your progress toward your goals.

PS...a lot of us will run the 5th/3rd Riverbank (25k) Run in Kalamazoo to kick off the race season in early May.  Also - in my blog AND the michigan forum I've posted a tentative race sched for next year....and if you're curious about a particular race, do a search OR post in the MI forum and someone will have run it and can tell you whether it's worthwhile or not... 

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » new college student! Rss Feed