General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Wisconsin College Student Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-29 10:03 PM

Subject: New Wisconsin College Student
Hey, I am new to this whole thing, but I can't wait to be a part of it all. I am a freshman college student at a little school in the northwoods of WI. I love most sports, but I get excited and end up hurting myself alot. The most recent injury was a torn MCL from aggresive rollerblading which really which has put me out of anything athletic since september and really been rough emotionally as well. I want to get in the best shape of my life and I know I am at a good age to do it, but I really don't know anything about triathlon raceing. We did a small triathlon here at school before I was hurt (.5 mile Swim, 8 mile Mountain Bike, 2.5 mile run) which was amazing and so much fun although I hadn't even tried to train for it and got lost on the bike trail. Anyways, I would love some advice about where to start with training. I don't have much money to work with but I do have a mountain bike and access to a nice road bike. I also have a membership at the YMCA and I love to swim. I must admit I suck at running though, I always feel like fish out of water. Please give me any tips you can about what books I should read, the clothing I should have for races, and the training that would be best. I am looking at doing a sprint triathlon in July and a half Ironman in September. I am in pretty good physical shape, except my knee, (5'5 and 110 lbs) and I improve quickly once I start working at it. Oh yeah, and my name is Janna.

2005-11-29 11:56 PM
in reply to: #294600

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
Subject: RE: New Wisconsin College Student
Welcome to the site. In terms of advice on how to train you will get a million different opinions on how to train. I would read as much as you can on this site and there are several others out there. Do what is best for you. If your run sucks like mine does, focus on improving your run. Work on your swimming technique. Lift some weights to make sure you have plenty of strength, and so on and so on.
2005-11-30 5:30 AM
in reply to: #294600

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: New Wisconsin College Student
Welcome! Wisconsin is the place to be for triathletes! (other than the, uh, looooong off season!) There is a ton of info on this site, I was in your shoes in May and have come a LONG way- I was a little too gun-ho, though, and injured my knee and hip, so whatever advice you glean from here, glean this: START SLOWLY! you have all winter to build a nice base. Take care of your body or you will be miserable.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Wisconsin College Student Rss Feed