General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What sort of supplements do you take and does it really helps Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-24 9:20 AM

Veteran
Singapore
Subject: What sort of supplements do you take and does it really helps
What sort of supplements do you take and does it really helps in recovery and training. I personally do not take any supplements at all. only recently started taking some vitamin c and e pills cause someone says that it might not be enough to get them from fruits or other food you eat. I normally like to eat a wide variety of fruits. Food taste a lot better than just popping pills.Just wondering how much should I take and would there be adverse effect if taken too much? I just take 1 pill a day each.
What supplement do you take and how much each day? Doe sthe supplement really helps you to do better? What's your take on this?

2004-04-24 9:38 AM
in reply to: #21088

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Subject: RE: What sort of supplements do you take and does it really helps
For me just one multi-vitamin per day.  Eating lots of fruit and vegetables does it for most of us. I do use soy products (genisoy) for quick meal or energy snack - seems to help. The one exception I do is to use Whey protein supplement in smoothies and all kinds of other things like soup, salad dressing etc. The protein mainly when doing longer and heavier weight routines. One of the guys I train with usually places in his class / boybuilding - other than protein, he doesn't use supplements.
2004-04-24 7:53 PM

Veteran
Northern IL
I try to take in a couple of tablespoons of ground flaxseed meal a day. Tons of benifits to it.

Mike
2004-04-24 7:54 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Multi-vitamins, as I don't eat as many vegetables as I probably should. Glucosamine Chondrotin for my knees. I try not to take too many pills; I'm very stingy when it comes to pain medications/allergy pills, etc. I try to eat a fairly balanced diet, although I'm sure that I can do better. I've recently cut back on the red meat, added more salads/soups and fish. And plenty of water.
2004-04-24 10:02 PM

Veteran
Singapore
What's the recommend intake of Glucosamine and Chondrotin for a healthy person? one pill a day? What are the adverse effect of it when too much of it is taken?
From what I have found out it seems to be used for osteoporosis or arthitis patients or those with joints pain....
2004-04-25 2:57 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
I take a triple-strength Gluco/Chondro pill twice a day. It's something like 1500mg Glucosamine and 1200mg Chondroitin. It's a huge pill! I haven't noticed any adverse effects, and I've been taking them for a couple of years now. The body can only absorb so much of any supplement at one time, so I don't worry too much about it. Plus, I sometimes forget to take them on the weekends. If I quit for a couple of weeks, I can feel my knees start 'clicking' when I go upstairs, or hike uphill.

2004-04-25 10:21 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I take one multi-vitamin plus for men over fifty per day; it contains extra iron. I have also been taking glucosamine once a day for a few weeks now for my joints but cannot say for sure whether it is doing anything or not.
2004-04-25 7:57 PM

Hammond, La

I take Amway double x multi vitamin, vitamin e,c and glucosemine with chondroitin& msm 1800 mg daily. Also an asprin. I no longer take high blood pressure meds, or sleep with c-pap machine. So it's not a bad trade for me.

NOGILLS

2004-04-25 9:50 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
I take a multi-vitamin, calcium supplement, glucosamine/chondritin, and ginko biloba.

Wow, I guess that's a few, huh.

-Chris
2004-04-26 9:34 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
I take Centrum multivitamin and folic acid. I'm thinking of adding glucosamine and chondroitin.

There is probably enough folic acid in general multivitamins to satisfy men's folic acid needs (they need at least 400 mcg/day), but women of reproductive age, especially those on the pill, need more (the pill and some other medications prevent the absorption of folic acid). Not only does it prevent birth defects, it has also been shown to prevent cervical and colorectal cancers and possibly breast and stomach cancers.

Studies show that only 9% of Americans eat the recommended servings of fruits and vegetables. If you're not eating many green vegetables or fortified cereals, you could use some folic acid.

I can't offer specific evidence that a multivitamin improves my performance, but I feel like I'm in pretty good health and that regular vitamin consumption has helped. There are adverse effects if you take too much of certain vitamins (fat-soluble) and minerals. Water-soluble vitamins, like vitamin c, are simply flushed from the body if you take too much, but fat-soluble vitamins, vitamins a, d, e & k, are stored in your liver if they aren't needed, which can eventually be toxic. High levels of minerals, like iron, can cause organ and bone damage over time.

If you take no more than a multivitamin (unless your doctor specifies otherwise), you shouldn't have any cause for concern. You can, however, have your vitamin and mineral levels checked for a relatively low cost (I've seen companies offer blood tests for around $35).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What sort of supplements do you take and does it really helps Rss Feed