General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to wear when running in snow Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-12-03 9:34 AM

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
Subject: What to wear when running in snow
It's snowing outside. What a pretty sight!

Got me thinking. Does anybody run in snow? If so, what outfit do you wear? Most importantly, what kind of shoes? As you can see, I am bored. Instead of being snowed in, I'd rather be outside to do something, anything.

2005-12-03 9:47 AM
in reply to: #297898

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: What to wear when running in snow
I LOVE running in the snow.  I wear fleece lined tights, a layer or two on the top covered by a jacket, hat, gloves.  As far as shoes, if it's not deep, I just wear my sneakers, but if it's deep, I add ankle high gaiters (that hikers sometimes wear) to keep my feet at least semi dry....but the gaiters don't cover the toes. 
2005-12-03 9:54 AM

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
Here's what I have right now that I plan to wear.. It's 14F outside, no wind, about 1 inch have fallen.
Head: ear band + beanie + may be a fleece scarf
Top: LS lightweight base layer + LS shirt + LS fleece jacket
Bottom: lightweight base layer + running pants (or ski pants?)
Socks: smart wool socks
Shoes: good old trail running sneakers.
Hands: ski gloves

What do you think? May be a trip to REI to pick up a pair of fleece pants.
2005-12-03 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
I'm with COgirl. Since I do most of my running on the road I don't ever have to worry about the depth of snow. I use my thermal underware under my running pants. Several layers (including wicking next to my skin) on top, with a nice fleece hat and decent gloves. Since I run at night most of the time I use my backpacking headlight and have a reflective vest. I might look like a dork but hopefully nobody will run me over.

Don't let snow stop you!
2005-12-03 9:59 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Go for it.  See how it goes!  (you'll love it )  My experience with fleece while it is snowing is that the snow sticks BIG TIME.  So sometimes it's good to have tights or a windproof jacket just to keep from having wet snow all over! 

And with one inch of snow, you'll be ok with your regular running shoes.  Have fun! 

btw, it's snowing here too! 

Edited by COgirl 2005-12-03 10:00 AM
2005-12-03 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
Does anyone have specific recommendations of a brand of running shoe that does well in the snow/cold weather. Right now I have a pair of Sucony Trigon Grids, great shoes, not very warm though in cold weather though.
Thanks!

2005-12-03 12:21 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
When it gets colder, ( as in right now ), here's what I run in:

Compression Shorts
Running Tights ( from REI )
Long Sleeve Dry Fit
Pullover Shell
Gloves
Lightweight Hat

If it's really cold ( below 15F ), then I throw on another shirt over the dry fit.

If it's really really cold ( below 0F ), then I throw on a lightweight fleece under the shell, and put on another pair of running tights.

I just run in my regular shoes. I've got some smartwool socks I wear instead of my regular running socks that keep my feet a little warmer.

I'm a bit chilly for the first 10 minutes, but after that I warm up pretty fast. If I wear more, I'll be warm the first bit but then I get too hot for the rest of the run.

The key is to keep your 'core' warm.  If you let your core get cold, then your body pulls blood in from the extremities ( hands/feet ).  So focus on keeping your core warm, but not too warm that your sweating, b/c the sweat will chill you *very* fast in cold weather.

-C

Edited by coredump 2005-12-03 12:23 PM
2005-12-03 12:27 PM

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
I RAN!!!! I was out there for an hour, ran for.. oh may be 4 miles. It was GREAT! So quiet and pretty. The snow was fresh and powdery. Love seeing doggie paw prints on the snow. So cute. I ended up wearing:

Top: LS wicking layer, LS hooded bike jersey, fitted windbreaker, beanie
Bottom: wicking layer, running pants, wool socks
Shoes: old Nike ACG running shoes

Note to self, ditch the sunglasses and ski gloves next time. Sunglasses fogged up easily and the ski gloves were too hot.

Thanks guys for the encouragement.
2005-12-03 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Running in fresh snow is GREAT!  SO peaceful.  I'm with several of the others here -- wicking gear up top (usually something like underarmout cold gear) an windbraker most of the time is sufficient (down to about 20 degress).  For the bottom, give me a good pair of running tights! If it's windy, I add windpants over the top.  When it's really cold I'll add a second pair of tights and a polar fleece jacket.  My hands tend to get really warm with heavy gloves, so unless it's really cold a cheap 89 cent pair of brown jersey gloves is all I wear or else those white cotton knit gloves that they sell at marathon expo's.  Then if the hands get too warm, i can take them off and not panic if I happen to lose them.

Unless the snow is really deep, I just wear my regular running shoes.  I've not had much problem with my feet getting cold, and I've run in temps down to -20F  (no wind sunny day though).  Running outside down to zero, I've done a lot....not usually much of a problem.  When temps do get below 20 or so, you may want to add a balaclava to help keep your face warm.

Now -- go enjoy the winter run! 

2005-12-03 6:54 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
The snowpants and/or ski-gloves are probably too much, even on very cold days.

You might want a face-mask or scarf to help warm the air you breathe a little.

Watch out for ice under the snow too!
2005-12-03 9:45 PM

Elite
Laurium, MI
tights are awesome for cold. For the top I wear wicking long johns and a close fitting thin fleece. This holds me to about 10 degrees, then I have to add a windstopper vest

An interesting thing is your extremeties act as radiators. Your body uses them to control core temp. Sof if your core temp is too low, your fingeres and toes freeze and you get bad blood flow to your legs. Keep your core temp up and your hands and feet stay toasty and your legs stay fresher longer. So for the first 20 minutes of my run, my fingers are freezing. Then they warm up just fine.

I also run in smartwool running socks, which do a great job of keeping my tootsies warm. If it's wet out I just wear my goretex trail shoes and ankle gaiters if I'm running through snow. Going on a trail run with 6" of fresh powder is amazing. I highly recomend it.

I also find that snow tends to clump to fleece. So I use a really light weight shell on showy days and skip the fleece. It's fortunate that snow usually happens in temps above 20*

2005-12-03 11:55 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Great advice here for novice snow runners.  I love running in the snow too...quiet, peaceful, scenic, and lots of cushion to run on!  One thing I use at times, especially if the snow is compacted and slippery, is called "Yaktrax".  They're a traction device that slips on over the sole of your shoe and are VERY effective at keeping your footing stable and solid on ice and compact snow.  A little weird feeling at first but you get used to them.  There are several different types and brands of these; Yaktrax are just the ones I like.  You might try them if you're having trouble with your footing on the snow.  Have fun!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to wear when running in snow Rss Feed