General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Parkinsons's Disease Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-12-05 3:15 PM

New user

blaine
Subject: Parkinsons's Disease
I am a beginner triathlete with the intent to do my first Sprint in May, with 3 more to follow in June, July and August. I live in the beautiful state of Minnesota. Currently working out at Lifetime fitness to train, with the Minnesota winter upon us. I was diagnosed with Parkinsons in July. I'm a 32 year old female trying to accomplish something that would make my husband and 2 kids very happy. Not to mention, I'd be pretty damn proud of myself, as well. Anyone else out there training for tri's with Parkinsons????

2005-12-06 9:37 AM
in reply to: #299231

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Parkinson's Disease

Hi Heather.

I don't have Parkinsons but I do have a ton of respect for individuals like you who overcome physical set-backs to achieve amazing things.  People like you inspire me to push harder and stop complaining.

Thank you and Best of Luck!  Keep us posted on your races.

2005-12-06 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Subject: RE: Parkinsons's Disease
Heather,

I'm in Minnesota and I don't have Parkinson's but I am working on two partial knee replacements. Don't let the bad days get you down. Tomorrow always begins anew. I'm with you all the way on pressing towards your goal! Keep me posted. BTW some of us MN BT'er's are doing the Tri-U-Mah in Feb. It would be a good time to get to meet some of us from around here!
2005-12-06 5:22 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio, TX
Subject: RE: Parkinsons's Disease
Hi! I'm going to be doing my first tri here in April and my dad may be doing it with me, and he has Parkinson's. He used to be a marathon runner, always really active, but has never done a tri. Since he was dx'd with Parkinson's a few years ago he really hasn't been running and now walks/bikes instead. He's 56. I would really like him to do it because I think it would make him happy and raise his spirits, but my mom thinks it's too dangerous for him. He is pretty well controlled with meds, only once in awhile do I notice his hands shaking badly. Do you think he can do it? I will keep you updated if he does decide to do it with me! Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Parkinsons's Disease Rss Feed